Surround and Center Speakers with Preface

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vnttg

Reaction score
I've just bought a pair of Preface on clearance. Would you help me to select the most appropriate speakers for surround and center, please. My receiver is Onkyo 807. I understand that the $199 Encore can be used for center and surround speakers, but I still believe the center speaker (although I'm a newbie) has to be better (and different) than the surround speakers. Can you help -with my limted budget-please? I do not mind having different brand for surround though and still keep the Encore for center. I would say 85% for watching movies and TV for this system. Thank you in advance.

Hello,
Given how heavily discounted the Prefaces are, I would get another pair to use as Surrounds. Then add an Encore as your CC.
Cheers,
JJ

I have used the Encore for center and surrounds with my Source (mains). I have found that the Encore does very well for the sides and rear in my system but as a center, however, I ended up upgrading to the 'Feature' for my center. With the Encore as center, I found that the highs were right on but the mid was a bit shallow at times. As an ATF - the Encore should be timbre matched with the Preface. However, if the funds are there, I would put my money into the better center where most of your focus will be for HT.

As for using a floor speaker for a side/rear - if the space is there, that is a good idea. You want your sides/rear to be ear level in a 7.1 system.

Last edited:
I cannot find any other deals on the Preface, at least in my area (LA),and also do not have space for Preface as surround. I may have to use Encore as surround, and have to find other "deal" for the center. Given my limited budget, I do not want to spend more than $300-$400 for the center speaker. After all, the system is in my bedroom. Please give me some more thoughts. Thanks.

omntch is right on. currently I have preface as mains, encores for center and surround w/ onkyo 807. As surrounds they are great. But as center it seems recessed. I would like to uprade my center to something better in the ML line but I dont have the funds as of yet. Get something better for your center if you have the funds. If not, the encore would suffice for now then just replace it and use it for back surrounds in the future to make a 7.1 system. check out my set up at member systems.

Back