Moving up the chain from Source...What to expect

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailman199

Reaction score
Hello All,

First post here in the forums, and first time ML owner. I had always wanted a set since I heard a pair of Monoliths powered by Threshold amps at Ovation in Indy about 20 years ago. Anyway, I got a set of Source and I am very happy with them. I'm curious though what I could expect as I move up the ML chain.

What I want to know is, as you move up the chain are you essentially just going to get more bass and more volume or are you going to get better midrange, more detail, or something else? Do you think the difference is substantial?

Looking at the Vantage area of the range.

One thing I will say is that I am missing a bit of the 'fleshed out' midrange with the Source compared to my VSM-MMe that the MLs replaced.

Thanks!!

Hi mail,

All things being equal, expect more musicality, longer listening sessions at lower volumes, better imaging, quicker transient response, ability to hear dynamic gradations, improved dimensionality, willingness to listen to (and enjoy) other types of music and, most importantly, your ability to emotionally connect with the music.

Enjoy the journey.

GG

Last edited:
Hello,
The higher up you go in the Martin Logan chain means the larger amount of the Frequency Range is covered by the Electrostatic Panel.

For instance, the Source the Crossover Frequency is 470 Hz and the Source uses the Gen 2 Panel and not the Xstat. The Vantage's CF is 400 Hz and uses the Xstat, the Spires CF is 320 Hz, and the Summit X 270 Hz. The CLX has no Crossover Frequency as it is not an Electrostatic Hybrid.
Cheers,
JJ

Hmmm, expect to get addicted, addicted to constantly be moving speakers to find the best sound, spend money on the best sounding amplifier, expect that life will never be the same again....

I bought my first set of Martin Logans from Ovation in Indy in 96.

As to what to expect as you move up the chain, well there are different ways to move up the chain.

I still have the original re-paneled Stylos that I bought in 96 from Ovation, but now there are about 20 other Martin Logan's keeping them company.:D

So as someone already said, ML addiction can turn in to 'Joeitis' and then you keep wanting more and more panel, until you have a real problem and need to go to AA for help. (Audiophile Anonymous)

As you move up the range, again as someone already said, you get more panel until you get to the CLX. That is where I am at now, but I still have most of the other MLs that I bought along the way....they are just so hard to get rid of:D

And as they say at the meetings, my name is Joe and I am a Audioholic.:D

Hello All,

What I want to know is, as you move up the chain are you essentially just going to get more bass and more volume or are you going to get better midrange, more detail, or something else? Do you think the difference is substantial?

Looking at the Vantage area of the range.

Thanks!!

I agree with everyone's comments. I would also like to add that the difference will be even more substantial if you mind the room and the ancillary equipment. It's kind of like Michael Schumacher getting more out of the civic than the 65 year old suburbanite getting out of his Viper. If you take care of everything, the music will sound even better and more real.

I currently have Aerius i's, but was considering the Source as a replacement. Also, I have a small square room, 13' x 13'. Would moving up to a bigger ML be justified in terms of sound quality under these conditions, or should I stay with the smaller ML in a smaller room for best results? -Bob.

I really enjoy listening to my ML source speakers. I think it is important to enjoy what you have or you just start chasing the idea of audio nirvana instead of enjoying the system that you have. There are always going to be better speakers and audio equipment. You have to be content with what you have.

Possibly in the future, I may consider upgrading but would like to keep my current speakers for at least 3-5 years or longer before changing out. I am very happy with the sound and can listen to my speakers all day. If you just hate the sound of your speakers, then change them out. I had a pair of Monitor 60 Polk and never was happy with them. I tried to live with them for 2 months but just never liked them. I ended up buying the Martin Logans Source and never looked back.

I always try to balance things in my life especially on a limited budget. I always try to get the most value for my money. I do not think that value to money rises exponentially in regards to audio equipment, especially when we are talking after a 1000.00 dollars.

It reminds me of buying a car. I bought a Subura WRX in 2003 when they first came to the U.S. For the money, I have gotten a lot fun and a great car. My car is not a Porsche but it is enjoyable and fun to drive. I can still run it hard and it has great handling. There are other cars that are better but the price difference begins doubling and tripling.

If you have deep pockets or you are wealthy, then by all means go out and purchase what you like. Personally, it makes a difference for me to not live beyond my means. I get much more enjoyment out of my ML sources knowing that I did not overspend. Also, they sound great.

Great post that puts things into perspective JustinJ. It's all relative right?

I have a system now that is relatively high end, but it's taken me 35+ years to get it to where it is now. At no point along the journey did I ever feel like I was missing out. Certainly I could tell the difference between the sound of components, and I did plan upgrade paths along the way, but certainly always within my means. I'd never let my hobby overshadow the needs of my family and friends.

Mark my words - you will upgrade someday, but I like your approach and you'll enjoy a lot of music along the way.

JustinJ,

Great perspective. It's the journey that you actually enjoy. It takes many years for many of us to figure that out, but the truth of the matter is, if you go striaght to the top of the mountain the only path left is down.:(

Well said! ;)

Hi mail,

All things being equal, expect more musicality, longer listening sessions at lower volumes, better imaging, quicker transient response, ability to hear dynamic gradations, improved dimensionality, willingness to listen to (and enjoy) other types of music and, most importantly, your ability to emotionally connect with the music.

Enjoy the journey.

GG

Last edited:
Mitt:

I like your method of upgrading over the years. I agree about upgrading slowly and contemplating what to add to a system, especially when you start to become very familiar with the sound you like and your system. I am researching right now to build a tube phono amp for my stereo. I am really enjoying my albums again. It is hard for me to listen to my digital music, even with a few cracks and pops from the records.

I enjoy the hobby of Astronomy. The same upgrades and next best thing are in the Astronomy hobby as well as in the audio hobby. There are always new eyepieces or the new things coming out. It took me a couple of years to get a few nice eyepieces. I really enjoy them, since I started out with cheaper eyepieces and got the most use out of those. Now, when looking through my better eyepieces, I appreciate them more. I think audio is the same thing or any other hobby. In the end, it is about the enjoyment and yes it is all relative.

Hi mail,

Enjoy the journey.

GG

Well said! ;)

+1 :rocker:
When I replaced my sony e90000es dvd/cd/sacd player with Mcintosh MCD500 2 years ago. After hooked it up and played the every first track. I was :eek:

Last edited:
Back