So I tried to talk to the wife about the CLX... Oops

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spectral

Reaction score
Quote: "No power in martin logan speakers...maybe this is a problem with electrostatic speakers. Find others"

And she's not into the high end at all...:(

My wife said that CLX will be our next ML speakers.

Did she say that after hearing a pair?

After the London Hi-Fi Show CLX demo, I remember one person describing them as flat, lifeless and undynamic. I guess there's just no pleasing some people:)

Last edited:

To be honest, where do I begin... How do you explain to a non-audiophile compromises... :confused:
The uphill battle begins... maybe a little nudging... of the jewelry kind will help?:D

After the London Hi-Fi Show CLX demo, I remember one person describing them as flat, lifeless and undynamic. I guess there's just no pleasing some people:)

Yes. We looked around them and listened to them, she took some nice photos. We actually went first to the room showing CLX then looked around the rest of the show where CLX was introduced. After half an hour she said that after CLX everything else is just muddy and artificial. We returned to ML and spent another 2 hours enjoying the show to the maximum ;)

Yes. We looked around them and listened to them, she took some nice photos. We actually went first to the room showing CLX then looked around the rest of the show where CLX was introduced. After half an hour she said that after CLX everything else is just muddy and artificial. We returned to ML and spent another 2 hours enjoying the show to the maximum ;)

That was Munich, if I remember...;)

I hope you both manage to get a pair, by hook or by crook!:)

I can certainly play Metallica at ear bleeding levels with my CLX's... I guess the Gotham sub helps. :)

I can certainly play Metallica at ear bleeding levels with my CLX's... I guess the Gotham sub helps. :)

Jeff, no doubt the Gotham adds a major dynamic element to your system. Man, that must be an awesome setup considering I am sure the associated electronics are top flight.
Cheers,
JJ

That was Munich, if I remember...;)

I hope you both manage to get a pair, by hook or by crook!:)

Yes, it was Munich (we live in greater Munich area so obviously the High End show is a must). Thanks for the good wishes! I'm trying my best to accomplish it ;)

To be honest, where do I begin... How do you explain to a non-audiophile compromises... :confused:
The uphill battle begins... maybe a little nudging... of the jewelry kind will help?:D

I won't name any names, but one way I know that works is to first create a skunk works, black ops, slush fund account.

Then when you get enough money put aside, get the CLXs, and just tell her that you are keeping them until a friend's divorce is final.....but that could take a long while.

After a year if she asks, just tell her that you got them in the settlement, the ex didn't want such big overwhelmingly powerful speakers in her new home:D

Last edited:
I won't name any names, but one way I know that works is to first create a skunk works, black ops, slush fund account.

Then when you get enough money put aside, get the CLXs, and just tell her that you are keeping them until a friend's divorce is final.....but that could take a long while.

After a year if she asks, just tell her that you got them in the settlement, the ex didn't want such big overwhelmingly powerful speakers in her new home:D

This sounds similar to something I did when I was 17,33 years ago.I had saved some money and wanted to buy a $2000 stereo system. My dad said no, so I bought it anyway and kept it at a friends house. S_ _ t hit the fan when my father found out , but he eventually cooled off after a while and let me bring the system home.The addiction has never stopped since.
Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

Then when she figures it out and he gets thrown out of the house and doesn't have room in his new apartment one of us might have a shot at a reasonably priced set of CLX's.

Hey wait a minute, that sounds like what you just described to get them in his house.

This sounds similar to something I did when I was 17,33 years ago.I had saved some money and wanted to buy a $2000 stereo system. My dad said no, so I bought it anyway and kept it at a friends house. S_ _ t hit the fan when my father found out , but he eventually cooled off after a while and let me bring the system home.The addiction has never stopped since.
Cheers, Greg

So what was the awesome 2k system. Did your dad ever say it sounded good?

Timm,

It was an integrated amp, 70 watts a side, turntable and HPM 100 pioneer speakers.I didn't know about ML's at the time. My father wasn't really into listening to music, so no, he never did comment on the sound.

My mother however likes coming over for movies in the dedicated room and enjoys the sound as well. Unfortunately my father is in a nursing home and has never had the opportunity.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back