Vantage Spikes and resonances

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
While I was enjoying a long heavy metal session (4-5hrs) on Friday afternoon (I know..."Can anyone listen to heavy metal that long ?" Well...you can if you're an ML/vinyl user :D ) I noticed a resonance developing in the LH panel towards the end of the session....
Having been plagued by "resonances" recently (including one almost unaccountable one) there was no confusion with this particular item and I immediately pointed an accusing finger at the spikes. As always, it's the last one that's the culprit and always one of the over-extended spikes at the back.
It just shows that when one or more spikes are borderline, a good thrash of high octane heavy metal will reveal their condition in no time. :D :D

It's been at least 18 months since I last registered a similar problem but the thought occurs that it may be a good idea to adopt a regime of tightening them as a precautionary measure - perhaps once a month - just to avoid the prospect of the speaker falling over halfway through "Child in Time" by Deep Purple :D.
Another thought occurs that the spikes are not that easy to adjust with exact precision.i.e you could easily end up with a 1 micron gap on one of them when finished.
I find that "tuning" each one by tapping them with a finger until they register identical sound is helpful.
Hope this helps some unfamiliar Users.....other helpful suggestions always welcome...:music:

Kind regards..........................Victor.

Victor,

I may be over simplifying the issue but the obvious goal is to make sure the speaker is firmly seated to the floor thereby minimizing speaker induced vibrations.

Any vibration, in your equipment or speakers, will have a negative impact (imaging, dimensionality,etc.) on the final sound.

Tuning by tapping, I don't get it.

A speaker falling over when playing music, I really don't get it.

GG

Last edited:
Victor,

Tuning by tapping, I don't get it.

GG

Gordon, I agree, prevention of micro-rocking is essential - not just for turntables. If any of the spikes are not making contact with the floor they "ring" differently, even though the error is only a few microns. Tap each cone with a fingernail and they will sound "lightweight/hollow" when not fully load bearing. The error can happen even when you are adding a final 10th twist to the jam nut as the spike easily rotates in sync. Tap them and see. If the corresponding spikes/cabinet sound different then your speaker is unstable...

My Audiotech Table (formerly under a Linn) had no spike shoes as these can introduce instability if not in perfect coplanar contact with the floor. Testing it by rocking it across alternate diagonals was crude and didn't indicate micro errors. Tapping each of the tubular steel uprights near the spike was the best and easiest way to check if all 4 spikes were in perfect contact with the floor. The trick also seems to work with MLs.

A speaker falling over when playing music, I really don't get it.

My rear spikes are almost at the limit of their travel in order to obtain near verticality of Vantage panels. There's a fair amount of play in the threads of those things. Once vibration has taken hold and succeeded in loosening them it's only a matter of time before one or both spikes drops off and the speaker falls over - especially while continuing under the influence of vibration. (Ever tried to lift a subwoofer while it was still playing...i.e. don't do this, but a good illustration of the forces involved)
But I was speaking in jest :p Hopefully you would notice the panel resonance before then and realise something was sorely amiss.

I will close with good illustration of the effects of vibration which concerned a motor PSU that needed servicing a while back...
The Distributor kindly offered a Mk1 supply to act as replacement while the Mk2 was being checked. Whilst in transit under the care of the Royal Mail, the 2 fixing screws on the underside of the Mk1, that held everything together, managed to unscrew and detach themselves leaving the heavy power module amongs other items, clattering around inside the casework.
Disbelief is not a word which describes my reaction when I unwrapped the disassembled Mk1 supply.....
The Distributor wasn't too impressed either.
No surprise that I won't be leaving my ML setup to chance :D:D
Hope this helps :)
Victor.

Victor,

Thanks for the explanation.

Do you have carpet or wood floors?

Each scenario has its own issues and solutions.

I'll try to give you some input / ideas once you respond.

I'm pretty rabid about vibration induced distortion and the elimination thereof.

Gordon

the resonance might be your woofers coming slightly loose. might want to check that. the bolts can loosen up over time and if you are really rocking out that's a definite possibility.

the resonance might be your woofers coming slightly loose. might want to check that. the bolts can loosen up over time and if you are really rocking out that's a definite possibility.

Thanks Jeff and Gordon, but there's no need to worry. As I mentioned earlier I've seen this situation before, and loose spikes on a concrete floor are known to cause weird panel resonances and buzzes. The last time it happened you would swear the sound appeared to come from the centre of the woofer box.(!)
On both occasions, I'm pleased to report, tightening the affected spike/s returns the panel to perfectly smooth and buzz free operation. It has received some very stern tests since then and sailed through them. :)

That's a very useful thought though Jeff. I used to tighten the woofer bolts on my Linn Saras every few years but never considered that I might need to on Logans. I will keep an eye/ear on them... :music:
Kind regards..........................Victor.

Back