Biwiring Monolith II's question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbmonolith

Reaction score
Although the users manual (such that it is) specifically warms against the use of biwiring without the use of an external crossover at the risk of damaging the panel, has anyone tried running an amp to the panel, and only using the crossover to manage the use of the woofer?

Thinking of running a D-70 directly into the top, as if it were a CLS panel, and going through a crossover with another ARC amp on the bottom.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks!

Without the jumpers you will be running the panels at full range.I would not recommend it without an external crossover.The Monolith panels do not have a section designed to handle the lower bass like to CLS panels do.You will drastically reduce the life of the panels if not ruin them.

Last edited:
Appreciate the explaination. Will not give it a try.

Bob you can pick up a Behringer CX3400 x-over on eBay cheap. I saw one there for as low as $60 just yesterday. That'll get you by until you're ready to acquire a better x-over. Least that's what I did. You can blow it out later after you've acquired something better.

However, don't look to its manual for any real assistance in configuring it when it arrives. But at least it would allow you to do what you're attempting to do...play some music. Good luck!

A CX will hold you over, but do seriously consider a DBX DriveRack 260, the sound quality and flexibility is a huge step up from the behringer stuff.

Yes, I couldn't agree more with acuiring the best affordable electronics. My only reasoning for acquiring the Behringer was that for the $85 it cost me locally I could have something on hand when the Miii's arrived. That modest investment gives me some time to research a better x-over move whilst still being able to operate and enjoy the speakers. Once I've obtained a better product I'll blow out the Behr on AG or EB.

Suggestions on crossover point on MLM II's?

The III's used 125 as a crossover point on the factory unit I believe. Any suggestions on the II's?

My equipment/interconnects all date from the 80's so XLR units crossover units aren't really preferable.

Thanks to all...

Last edited:
The III's used 125 as a crossover point on the factory unit I believe. Any suggestions on the II's?

My equipment/interconnects all date from the 80's so XLR units crossover units aren't really preferable.

Thanks to all...

RCA to XLR adapters are fairly inexpensive, however not the ideal situation.

Actually, though they're listed at 125Hz in the manual I spoke with a tech in ML service that emphasized their real world x-over points were btwn 165-185Hz. Great assistance on the telephone still exists, post JP. I should have written his name down, but he was a tech that the gal who answers the telephone for the service department put me in touch with.

Good luck!
G.

RCA to XLR adapters are fairly inexpensive, however not the ideal situation.

Actually, though they're listed at 125Hz in the manual I spoke with a tech in ML service that emphasized their real world x-over points were btwn 165-185Hz. Great assistance on the telephone still exists, post JP. I should have written his name down, but he was a tech that the gal who answers the telephone for the service department put me in touch with.

Good luck!
G.

Yes, 120 or even 125 is too low.

I've used 250Hz in my setup for years with great results.

Back