Martin Logan Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pika

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm looking for an amp for my recently bought. I know that they are hard to drive so i'm kind of lost in this process. also i'm trying to spend about 500$. Used gear is welcome!

Right know i tought buying:

2 x nad 2100 power amps

or

1 x roksan kandy ka-1

Help me out here! :)

I've used a Rotel RB985 (5 channel amp, 200w@4ohm) that I thought did very well on them and think that the Carver TFM35 (350w@4ohm) would do even better.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

So how are the carver in a soundquality wise?
How many watts do you think they need to sing? 200? 300?

I bought the carver to try on my ascents first and didn't like it much, I thought it was too harsh. I did like the rotel better, though, it just felt smoother. I think that 200w was plenty of power. My friend is using the st70 tube amp on them and it sounds good, but it rolls of both highs and lows too easily, probably because it is too far under powered.

Last edited:
what about some jolida tube amp?
Do they really need to have that much power or with tubes they will get their way?

Do they really need to have that much power or with tubes they will get their way?

As long as you don't care much about accuracy of sound, dynamics, high frequencies, or playing complex passages at loud volumes, Jolida tube amps can produce some beautiful music with ML's. They produce a sound that is highly euphonic, meaning it sounds lush but not very accurate.

well i'm looking for some dynamics.. i'm using my ML with a Harman Kardon hk620 and that's clearly what's missing on them..

I see so many used gear.. Mcintosh Consonance Rosan kandy nad onkyo... i don't know what to get really!

Krell

I have used a Krell 200 watt FPB amp with them for the past 10 years and love it. -Bob.

yeah krell usually goes well with them! but a little bit of budget for me :(
Anyone has feedback of Opera Consonance A-120?
Hybrid integrated amp.. 90 rms at 8 ohm.. there is a good deal in audiogon..

Tempted..

Also the kandy KA-1 that does 170 rms at 4 ohm...

each one is about 400$..

I've heard Ascents and Aerius with Jolida EL34 100 watt amps and I thought they were a very good match. 100watts was plenty loud for just about anything. The 50 or 60-watters might be plenty loud as well depending on the size of your room and all that.

I use a Krell 400xi integrated (transistor) and a Jolida JD1000RC (tube) with my Aerius. The Krell has the clear, precise transistor sound, with plenty of control for the speakers. The Jolida is more lush, but also has just as good control over the speakers. What it gives up in "accuracy", is more than made up in beautiful sound. I wouldn't recommend going with less power. Previously, I had used an 85wpc Yamaha receiver and it didn't cut the mustard. I believe the minimum recommended power by Martin Logan for these speakers is 80wpc, but I don't think that lets them truly sing.

I have a Sunfire Symphonic Reference amp for my Aerius i speakers and I think it's a very good component for the money.

Perhaps the biggest thing I noticed over my previous (integrated) amp is more solid bass.

Erik

Back