New to ML's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upinsmoke

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I took the plunge and bought some MLs for the fronts. A pair of Vistas and a stage center. The price was too good to pass by, the vistas were new but the stage is a demo. I was originally looking at B&W 802s or 803s but feel this is a better choice for me.

My question for you all is in regards to amplification of these 3. My current setup is an Integra 40.1 pre/pro and an Emotiva LPA-1 7 channel amp (125w/channel).

I'm wondering if this is going to be sufficient to properly drive the 3 speakers, especially the Vistas.

If that was not the case, the next step I was thinking was Emotiva XPA-2 (300w/channel-1.2kva trans/45kuF sec.cap.) and a UPA-1 monoblock (200w/300va trans/80kuF sec. cap.) for the center.

If you have any suggestions for alternative amps I'd greatly appreciate it. BTW not looking to spend a fortune on amps, this is roughly about $1k for the amps but can go up higher if needed.

Welcome to the club smoke! I'd suggest you try what you have first for awhile before jumping on new amps right away. Get to know the speakers for awhile and discover what you like, dislike or want to improve.

There are all types of suggestions here for getting the most out of your speakers. Positioning and room treatments are high on the to-do list and will bring you hours of reading and tweaking if you so desire:D I'd look up these subjects before I spent more money on amps.

Gordon

Live with your set for awhile. If you get upgradeits, remember that it is the quality of the watts not necessarily the quantity.

Think I'll take this advice. I've always heard about the power requirements and the need for clean power additionally. Should get them in the next week. I do like the spec's and reviews of the ATI At2003 amp though. If things don't sound good with the Emotiva amp that might be the way I go.

This is going to be such a huge step up from the AV123 Rs850s. Once I'm sure the speakers are ok they are going up for sale.

One thing I've not done is listen to them with vinyl. Its been all digital sources in the past so excited to see how that sounds too.

Think I'll take this advice. .

Good move 'smoke', oh and wlcome BTW !

seeing that you're in Media, we're only about 45 mins apart maybe we can get together for a little listening session one of these days.

Remember you can always get a 2 channel amp for the front pair and keep the other amp for the center and surrounds... that way you don't have to jump in full bore on a whole new set up... Just a thought.

Thanks all for the welcomes.

Twitch - once I get things setup and broken in would love to.

Had some other changes over the weekend with some poor service regarding a tv repair call. To make a long story short walked out with a new Panasonic plasma for free. Quite a big difference between that and my old dlp.

Listened to some Vantages during the weekend and it's just reaffirmed some of my past views regarding ML speakers. Can't wait to get some music flowing through them in my home.

Back