Question - Cabinet Modification

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like simple frame and panel. If the top can be removed i.e. it's screwed, not glued, on to the top rails and if the panels aren't glued into the grooves, he might simply be able to slide the panel up and out for cutting (or leave it out entirely) and replace it later.

Always those pesky "ifs".;)

That was my feeling too. It is hard to tell based on the pics. What look like screws inside the cabinet in the vertical piece of the frame in the corner may allow part of the back to be removed. IF it does it may help, IF it doesn't then Hmmmmmm.

An easy check is to feel along the underside of the rails - the horizontal pieces at the top, inside the cabinet - for circular holes which, if there, should conceal screws holding the top onto the cabinet body.

If the top's solid wood, they'll be on the sides only. If it's veneered ply or compo, they may be on all four rails (front/back/sides).

Do you need to take the entire back off or will taking half of it off and making openings in the other half work?
The cabinet will need some bracing on the back so it won't sway side to side when you try to move it. It might seem strong with the back off but once you try to move it a couple of times it will become a problem.

Is it your intention to try to refit pieces in the back of the cabinet at some time in the future? This is usually not possible unless you can take the entire back off and replace it with pieces that will brace the cabinet while not getting in the way of your access.

Can you take a couple of better pics of the back from both outside and inside so we can better see how it is put together. It looks like the back is captured in the frame structure of the cabinet. This will make it a bit more difficult but still doable.

Brad -

At this time I would only be removing half of the back panel - the other half will stay. The other half does not have shelves but 3 drawers.

Understood regarding the bracing.

At this point, I do not think I will be replacing the panel once removed.

Yes, you are correct it is captured. I will try and take a couple of better shots but I will not be able to do it until the TV is mounted.

I do not believe the top can be removed but will have a better look tonight.

ALL - thanks for the comments / help.

Only removing half of the back will make the entire project much easier. I would start by cutting a large piece of the back out, maybe 3/4 of the half on right side of the cabinet.

Just drill a hole in the back to get the blade of a saber saw started and cut within say 2" of the side, top, bottom and the vertical piece of wood in the middle of the back. ( The center vertical that will be staying in place)
Once the large piece is removed, you will then need to use some force to remove the 2" pieces that are left behind . They may be glued or stapled at the top and bottom so watch while you are wiggling them to loosen them up.

You may need to pry on them with a small pry bar, chisel, screw driver or kitchen knife. Don't let your significant other see you using the knife as a pry bar. From my personal experience they don't care much for that. Especially when you wipe it off and put it back in the drawer.

Don't be afraid to take a hammer and tap (or harder if needed) on the remaining pieces. Just be sure to watch that you are not damaging other parts that will be staying behind. The pieces will probably be set in a groove in the cabinet that will be remaining untouched. It just takes a bit of patience to remove the pieces.

If you have cut neatly enough you could choose to leave the 2" pieces in place if they don't get in the way of setting up the cabinet.

Once enough of the back is removed and you are happy with the look, that should be it. The remaining half of the back should be enough to give the cabinet the structure it needs. Try gently wiggling the cabinet side to side. If it seem strong still, you should be OK.

If not we can deal with that next.

You shouldn't have any problem with this. Once it's finished you'll think "so what was the big deal?" and you can tackle a bigger project.

Just as an update, the back panel (half) was removed without a hitch and the cabinet appears to be holding up just fine. Thanks again for the help and all the comments.

Back