Question - Cabinet Modification

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrakim

Reaction score
Greetings –

I have noticed quite a few members that have extensive knowledge regarding carpentry thus the question.

I have a media cabinet (actually a sideboard / buffet) that will not accommodate my receiver – it is not deep enough (short about an inch). I was either going to cut out a portion of the back more or less the same size of the receiver. However, I thought maybe it would be better to remove half of the entire back panel (not sure if this is even possible). The idea being if I were to use this unit for it’s intended use, I could somehow reattach the back panel – this would be easier and aesthetically more pleasing than attempting to attach a smaller piece. Not sure which way to go, any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post a couple of pictures of the back and inside and we can probably make suggestions.

Brad225 -

Excellent, thanks. Please note that I am not in the US yet but should be home within the next couple of weeks (sorry about that I was just trying to get a head start on everything). I will post some pics as soon as I get home. BTW, I have seen a couple of your threads with your work - awesome stuff.

I don't know if it's applicable here, but generally speaking the back panel of a cabinet contributes to the cabinet's lateral stability. It might be something to keep in mind if it's holding heavy audio components.

Paul - understood, will keep it in mind. I only saw the cabinet briefly so I am not sure if modifying the back panel would affect the structural integrity of the unit but definitely something to consider prior to any proposed modification. Thanks.

Pics of Cabinet

I'm back - I will be attaching 4 pics. Front, front open, back, and a close up. Sorry I would not get better shots of the back but the TV is on the cabinet so I had difficutly moving it - not to mention the rug that was also hindering my efforts. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC05774.jpg
    DSC05774.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 400
Pics of Cabinet

Pics of Cabinet - Opened

Attachments

• DSC05781.jpg
    DSC05781.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 394
Pics of Cabinet

Back of the cabinet

Attachments

• DSC05779.jpg
    DSC05779.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 398
Pics of Cabinet

Close up of the inside.

Attachments

• DSC05778.jpg
    DSC05778.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 397
Just as a note, the TV as well as the center will eventually be mounted to the wall. After seeing all of my equipment, I am not so sure that it. Regardless, thanks again / in advance for your thoughts.

Wow.. looks like a nice piece..

it may require some major surgery (just my opinion)
- open up the back for cabling
- drill 2" holes across and down for feeding cables, a/v & power
- open up the front and put glass in - do the doors open - you do want you're remotes to work with your components
- if you're mounting the TV & centre, the receiver can go on top

How many other pieces are going in the unit?? power conditioner, game console(s)? DAC? BluRay, DVD? CD? Turntable??

Take a look at my system.. the cabinet was custom made for A/V with holes for cable management (across & down), 8x8" cutouts under the main components for ventilation as well as an open back.

Can you make the required modifications for A/V while maintaining the integrity of the look of the original unit? If so, go for it.

MickeyVee -

Thanks for the recommendations / thoughts. After a more thorough look, it looks like the back will all need to come out. To answer your question, there will be 4 pieces of equip: Receiver, Blu Ray, Amp, and Cable Box.

In hindsight, I should have done what you did, get something custom made or purchase the cabinet last - it was actually the first thing we bought....bad move.

Regardless, great set up you have. I had a question regarding your Pulsar Points - do you have spikes installed? Can you forward me a link so I could do some research.

Thanks again.

Lets start with,

Are you handy with tools and do you have acess to any power tools?

Do you have any friends that have power tools?

If so a router or saber/jig saw?

which is better brad? im in need of one or the other, which is more useful?

/i know, get both...

It depends on exactly what you need to do. I know this is vague but if someone has very little mechanical ability I would probably steer them to a saber saw. It would be a bit rougher but safer.

so the router is the cleaner cut? im new to wood working, but the possibilities excite me. ultimately i want to build my own gear rack.

Brad - to answer your questions.

- I do have some power tools but do not have a router.
- I am mechanically inclined but do not have that much experience with wood working.
- When I met with the installer, I did ask him if he had a router and he does.

so the router is the cleaner cut? im new to wood working, but the possibilities excite me. ultimately i want to build my own gear rack.

In general yes the router will give you a cleaner cut but it needs to be used with some type of straight edge or guide. Trying to free hand a router cut is not going to be something any wife will be impressed with.

The saber saw can give a fairly smooth cut provided you use a blade that is not to aggressive and you cut from the back side of the material you are cutting a hole in. Most saber saw blades cut on the pull stroke and are apt to tear out wood from the sheet as you are cutting. Applying masking tape to the area of the cut and cutting through the tape will help stop the tear out and help protect from scratching the surface as you slide the saw across the panel.

Brad - to answer your questions.

- I do have some power tools but do not have a router.
- I am mechanically inclined but do not have that much experience with wood working.
- When I met with the installer, I did ask him if he had a router and he does.

Do you need to take the entire back off or will taking half of it off and making openings in the other half work?
The cabinet will need some bracing on the back so it won't sway side to side when you try to move it. It might seem strong with the back off but once you try to move it a couple of times it will become a problem.

Is it your intention to try to refit pieces in the back of the cabinet at some time in the future? This is usually not possible unless you can take the entire back off and replace it with pieces that will brace the cabinet while not getting in the way of your access.

Can you take a couple of better pics of the back from both outside and inside so we can better see how it is put together. It looks like the back is captured in the frame structure of the cabinet. This will make it a bit more difficult but still doable.

Can you take a couple of better pics of the back from both outside and inside so we can better see how it is put together. It looks like the back is captured in the frame structure of the cabinet. This will make it a bit more difficult but still doable.
Looks like simple frame and panel. If the top can be removed i.e. it's screwed, not glued, on to the top rails and if the panels aren't glued into the grooves, he might simply be able to slide the panel up and out for cutting (or leave it out entirely) and replace it later.

Always those pesky "ifs".;)

Back