recommend experiments on bluray with my logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

projectormovielover

Reaction score
Guys its nearly thursday and I cant get rid of the mixture of anxiety and excitement awaiting my sourse se . Every hours like a day, it seems like time is dragging on forever but here's the deal

I do not have 2ch equipment as of yet so in the meantime I was wondering if there is any great bluray movie titles that I can do an A-B comparison with my polk rti8's

Please feel free to chime in with anything you like

Depends if you want music or movie effects.

If you have an OPPO BDP83 and can hook it up with analog outs, then try Depeche Mode Violator SACD 5.1. It will exercize every speaker you have, and then some.

Or try Beatles LOVE DVD Audio 5.1, again it will give your system a good test and last but not least Pink Floyd DSOTM in SACD 5.1 or any Porcupine Tree in 5.1 will do the trick.

Now if you are talking Bluray movie effects, Star Trek, Master and Commander, Pirates of the Carribean and I am sure there are others. JonFo probably has an A-list of stuff, as he eats, sleeps and.......well you get the idea, everything Home Theater and Surround Sound.

My favorite demo movie scene right now is the opening 15 minutes or so of transformers 2. Great use of all channels, great lows, great action.

Dave mathews Tim Reynolds live at radio city music hall on blue Ray. One of the best if you like Dave.

Look in the Recommended Recordings section. There's a list of recommended DVDs and several BluRays. Good Luck and congrats!!

I agree with hocky on transformers 2. the fight scene at the end is pretty intense too.

For movies on Blu Ray

Nothing out there comes close to Akira, a japanese anime with a full Dolby True HD soundtrack recorded at 192khz/24bit audio the highest level available for Blu ray. Most action movies like Transformer is only in 48khz/24bit. There are also some audio only blu ray recordings from 2L that are in full 192khz/24bit for classical that are pretty amazing if you like that kind of music.

... Now if you are talking Bluray movie effects, Star Trek, Master and Commander, Pirates of the Carribean and I am sure there are others. JonFo probably has an A-list of stuff, as he eats, sleeps and.......well you get the idea, everything Home Theater and Surround Sound.

Heh, I actually would love to watch more movies or listen to discs, but real life interferes ;)

Movies I recommend are the new Star Trek, excellent soundtrack. Not just booms, but a well placed soundfield that makes you feel 'there'.

The first ten minutes of Bolt makes a great demo segment. Incredible subwoofage action in there, along with excellent use of the surrounds. I've had people jump out of their seats on this one, literally. :rocker:

For music, any disc mastered by Steve Wilson will do. All the Porcupine Tree on DVD-A, his own recent recording 'Insurgentes', and the re-masters of King Crimson, red being particularly good on DVD-Audio.

Blu-ray Master and Commander, the end title track. Actually I'm recommending this less as a promise that it'll sound great than because I'm curious to hear what you think.

Back