Used Spire, Vantage, or new - Magnepan 1.7 - what should I buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjay

Reaction score
I am currently looking to change my main speakers in the home theatre area of my home. In another room, I have my 2 channel set up using ML Vantage speakers which I am extremely happy with. I have considered purchasing the Magnepan 1.7 for 2 channel and move my Vantage speakers to the theatre area. Then I thought maybe I should get the Spires for the 2 channel area instead of the Magnepan 1.7 speakers. I have not decided whether it would be worth it for my to change from the Vantage speakers to the Spire since I am pretty satisfied with the Vantage.
Buying used I have found the Vantages as low as $2500 and the Spires as low as $4500. The new Magnepan run around $1900.
Does my McIntosh M252 amplifier have enough current to run the Magnepan 1.7 speakers properly or would the Spires be a better choice? Would it be better with my Mcintosh equipment to stay with the ML Spire/Vantage speakers? The Magnepan 1.7 speakers are tempting for the money. I am not giving up the Vantage speakers either way. Opinions?

Hello jjay,

I have listened a little to the new Magnepan 1.7's and thought their upgrade from the 1.6's were more of an evolutionary upgrade. Some of this was cosmetics and I'm not sure what all they changed since the last version, but they sounded pretty close to me. Of course the 1.6's were a great sounding speaker, so the 1.7's are no slouch either. However, I would recommend pairing them up with 1 or 2 subs in order for there to be a lower octave present. As for your amp I believe it would perform rather nicely on the maggies unless you are trying to achieve concert levels. If that is the case then a pair of McIntosh 1.2kw would do nicely.:D Go have a listen if you haven't already to see which you prefer, but since you ask the opinions of others I would choose the Spires if your funds allowed. By the time you spent money on a good quality sub or two + the price of new maggies then you are most likely at or past the used price of the Spires. Add an extra cable or two for the subs, along with placing them in the room and I personally would prefer the used Spires for cost effectiveness and the smaller footprint. It can be a task trying to match a sub to perform seamless with a panel speaker, but since Martin Logan has already accomplished this to a pretty successful degree then it should make your system setup much easier. Also, the Spires already have built in amps just like your Vantages which give you that extra little oomph in the overall presentation. Good luck and have fun. I don't believe you will be dissappointed either way you go.

Glen

why not buy a pair of Maggie 3.6s ? they'll sound better than the
1.7s and only cost around 3k used, $5500 new...

PHP:
Size and WAF. My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I have to have the Vantages 5ft from the front wall. I personally would prefer Vantage, spire, or Summit myself but the new Magnepan 1.7 interests me for "the price".

Hello,
All I can say is I use Vantages in my HT with Vistas for Surrounds, Stage Center Channel, and Depth Subwoofer and it is the most satisfying HT I have ever owned.

I used to have an all Paradigm Reference HT with dual Studio 100 V.2's (Front/Surround), Studio CC V2, and Servo 15. I also had a 2 channel setup with Aerius i's at the same time.

I enjoyed the Aerius setup so much that I decided to change to an ML Home Theater and I really think it is the best decision I have ever made.

Going from large conventional Speakers, I was afraid I was going to lose the high SPL's needed for a satisfying HT experience, but to my astonishment the current ML's really do fantastic in HT. Unbelievable power handling. I do advocate using the highest current Amplifier funds will allow.
Cheers,
JJ

PHP:
Size and WAF. My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I have to have the Vantages 5ft from the front wall. I personally would prefer Vantage, spire, or Summit myself but the new Magnepan 1.7 interests me for "the price".
Haha. That is funny. I'm guessing she doesn't know how much that Mac equipment costs? Or wasn't with you when you got it. I never heard the 1.6 but heard the 3.6. We have members comparing the spire to the summit favorably. I thought the summit beat the 3.6 which I am sure beats the 1.6. If you are a serious 2 channel listener I would get the spire given the options you mention. Could you upgrade to the spires and sell the vantages then use your ht and 2 channel together? Pricewise it would probably be cheaper which ALWAYS gets high WAF!!

FWIW - I have demo'd the 1.7's with a Krell amp (can't remember which) and I thought they sounded good, especially for the money, but they are of course lacking on the bottom and just seemed way more harsh than I'd want to listen to.

If you are a serious 2 channel listener I would get the spire given the options you mention. Could you upgrade to the spires and sell the vantages then use your ht and 2 channel together?

I have a dedicated 2 channel area in one room and a dedicated 5.1 Theatre area in another area. I am not selling the Vantages, only considering moving them to the home theatre area.
I am try to decide whether to move the Vantages to the home theatre, then buying either another set of Vantages, or Spires or Magnepan 1.7 speakers. My McIntosh equipment will stay with the 2 channel area and I will upgrade the amplifier/ processor in the home theatre to go with my Oppo BP 83 blu -ray player.

Since you already own the Vantages and like them, why not go with something different in the home theater area just for comparison sake. You could try out the Maggies and see how you like them. If for any reason you become dissatisfied with the Maggies, they have a robust used market and you could probably unload them pretty easily.

I am thinking Magnepan 1.7 or Spire in the 2 channel area and the Vantages moving to the Theatre section.

I am thinking Magnepan 1.7 or Spire in the 2 channel area and the Vantages moving to the Theatre section.

Hmmm.. I think you are talkiing 2 speakers in 2 different leagues....Lets look at it -- Spire competes with Summit (ex flagship).... 1.7 is 1900 retail....(I don't even know what the spire retails for 8K??...anyway- a lot more)... You can get the spire used and get more value for your money. If the real issue is $$$ - then I get the 1900 dollar 1.7 purchase - but used spires can be had for 4K. Anyway, I am a serious 2 ch listener and I would hate to see you 'settle' :D I have heard the 3.6 & 20.1 and to be honest - I LIKED them - so if you like the maggie sound - that is where I would go - but, if you don't have the space or you can't 'sell' that to the spousal unit - I get that too... I think deep down - you really want the 3.6 :devil: but can't get them because of issues you metioned- so you are thinking about the 1.7....and right now the 1.7 is getting some rave reviews by the Maggie bigots at The Absolute Sound...(even though others fail to see the big diff between the 1.7 and 1.6)...Re: used market - the maggie is one of the only speakers I would hesitate on because they are so fragile - I would probably opt to either buy new - or try to pick them up (which limits your options)...

maggies are wanna-be logans.

Hardly. But that is a pretty funny comment coming from someone who owns Martin Logans that are wanna-be maggies, using an atf driver which isn't really all that different from the technology maggies have been using for decades. By the way, the first prototype Magneplanar was built in 1969, about eleven years before Martin Logan's founders built their first prototype. Maggies are hardly wannabe MLs.

Hello,
I agree with Maggies being the real deal. The 3.6 and 20.1's are simply awesome Speakers.

Their Quasi Ribbon/Planar Magnetic Models are really good too like the 1.6/1.7, but the true Ribbon in the 3.6 and 20.1 are amazing.
Cheers,
JJ

Again, I think you should try and spend some serious time with the Magnepans and see what you prefer. I've always noticed a pretty big polarization between the two camps. Personally, I like both, but they are very different speakers.

just being a ML fanboy. i suppose thats wrong on the MLOC site?

nothing better to complain about?

Again, I think you should try and spend some serious time with the Magnepans and see what you prefer. I've always noticed a pretty big polarization between the two camps. Personally, I like both, but they are very different speakers.

Agreed. However, the closer match is the 3.6 and at $5.5k or so is a true bargain.

I would hesitate to buy a used Magnepan due to the delicacy of the ribbon. Having said that I would hesitate to buy a used legacy ML speaker without asking so hard questions about the stats.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought of the Magnepan 1.7 speakers to have another flavor of panel speaker in the home. I will not part with the Vantages as I love how they sound. I was just thinking of another brand of panel speaker that I could have also. Money is not an issue and the Spires are on my radar also. I read a couple of reviews of the Magnepan 1.7 and I know you will be reviewing them soon. I will take your advice and check out my dealer who has the maggies in their store.
Jim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought of the Magnepan 1.7 speakers to have another flavor of panel speaker in the home. I will not part with the Vantages as I love how they sound. I was just thinking of another brand of panel speaker that I could have also. Money is not an issue and the Spires are on my radar also. I read a couple of reviews of the Magnepan 1.7 and I know you will be reviewing them soon. I will take your advice and check out my dealer who has the maggies in their store.
Jim

Let us know how that goes... and if your dealer has the 3.6/20.1...you just gotta listen to them... I'd like your impressions.....

Back