convince my wife that I need Logans thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIGHT ON !! finally someone that "Get's it" .. I am continually distressed by the "WAF" or "SAF" if you want to be "politically correct". I simply don't understand how ANYONE could establish a healthy, happy relationship with someone that essentially suffocates the others joy in a hobby, or creative outlet. :confused:
I am one of the lucky ones, my partner shares my enthusiasm for the recreation of music in the home, and undertands my passion and joy in the pursuit of the gear to help get to that end.
Personally, If someone I was involved with did NOT understand that level of my personality, or at the very least respect it enough to give me the freedom to enjoy it, then that person would NOT be involved with me.. it's that simple.
This is not just about "audio" .. it's about having respect and understanding for your partner. Suffocating them and or shoving them into what YOUR expectations are for them is a very unhealthy situation.

Totally Agree!!!!

Jeff:cool:

it's easy... you get something and she gets something...then she doesn't feel like you get the goodies and she doesn't.

Really, that's the key. When we were doing the bathroom over last year, I was teasing my wife about going somewhat "over budget" on the project and she said, "F-you, you got that Naim CD player last year, so I can do what I want in the bathroom..." (she's Irish, strong temper)

And we both had a good laugh.

Hi guys thanks for the advice on the "Build me a cheap HT electrostat setup " thread

Special thanks to the gent(justin j) who posted the amazon links for the source se :bowdown:

Now you guys have to help convince my wife in this thread . I told here that she will find all the coments from ML owners who own or have heard ML source

Feel free to post posative comments to make her understand that the $1500 is justified because there's still smoke coming from the holes I have recently burned in my pockets.

Thanks a bunch guys:rocker:

After reading all the posts up to now, I am thinking that projectormovielover was actually asking our opinions for his wife, half in jest.

And if so, then all the seriousness, no matter that it is well intentioned, is kind of a waste as far as he might be concerned, even though some made some good points.

And now for something completely different............

As far as owning Sources goes...........

I actually had a set of Sources paired in my 5.1 music only system, first with Summits and then with CLXs. The Sources were IMHO one of the best bang for the buck ESLs I have ever owned.

Tell your wife that the sources were so good that they could hang in the same system with what was at the time the top of line Martin Logan Speakers. And top of the line really means something when it comes to Martin Logans.

Summits cost 12 grand new and the Sources handled the rear channels with ease.

CLXs were $22,000 new and again the Sources handled the rear channels with ease.

I have thinned the heard somewhat, but still own 16 or so Martin Logans and have owned about a dozen more. The point being, dollar for dollar the Source was one of the best performing Martin Logan speakers that I have owned.

The Source has a high pleasure factor and it sounds great too.

If you go on Audiogon and are patient you should be able to pick up a used pair of Sources in great shape for under $1100, maybe under $1000.

That my friend would be a tremendous buy and once you have them set up properly and put her in the 'Sweet' spot, she may just come to understand that you spent the money for her pleasure too.:D

Regardless, if none of that works, just tell her that one of your friends is getting divorced and you get custody of his Logans. until the divorce is final:D

Last edited:
And i thought this thread was about giving some guy some justifications to help him pull the trigger on some nice speakers. I'm not going to judge anyone on their relationship with their spouse. I agree with some of the things you guys say but I think thereare those that might find the "if I get something you get something" mentality fairly pathetic as well. In both cases let's face it we all make accomodations for our spouses. The OP has his spouse involved in how he spends their money while some of you work some type of bartering system. In either case whatever works.

Really, that's the key. When we were doing the bathroom over last year, I was teasing my wife about going somewhat "over budget" on the project and she said, "F-you, you got that Naim CD player last year, so I can do what I want in the bathroom..." (she's Irish, strong temper)

And we both had a good laugh.

Yep - now that's the key alright. We both have things on which we spend money. My wife is a rower and goes all over Australia rowing in championships. I spend money on audio equipment. Neither of us questions the other on our hobbies.

what a giver....
:D

Funny, but isn't all pleasure even mutual pleasure a selfish act?

I think there was a Seinfeld episode on this.

I read something several decades ago which suggested that keeping a couples finances as separate as possible may avoid unnecessary squabbles and fights. The reasoning being that couples fight over 1. Money 2. Children issues 3. Sex in that order of frequency with money by far the most common issue.

I like the fun fund (stereo fund) idea, sort of a twist on the vacation fund concept - good idea.

Back