B&K amp & pre amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cursed1

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with B&K product matched with ML speakers? I am considering a pair of Ascent i's and I have a PT-3 and 200.2 and would like to get an opinion from members that have similar gear.

Does anyone have any experience with B&K product matched with ML speakers? I am considering a pair of Ascent i's and I have a PT-3 and 200.2 and would like to get an opinion from members that have similar gear.

I used Summits, Stage, 4 Scripts in a 7.1 system with a B&K Ref 30 pre-amp and B&K 7270 series II amp. The amp is similar to the 200.2 except for the extra channels. They worked quite nicely but I felt that something was missing.

1. I upgraded the processor to Parasound Halo C2, keeping amp same. Key differences were a slightly less warm sound than the B&K. The Parasound puts out a slightly brighter (in a good way), slightly more open, slightly sharper sound. But very, very slight difference. You really had to strain to hear the difference and both sounded quite good. The real upgrade was in the additional multi channel codecs.
2. I then upgraded to a 2-channel TADAC pre-amp and DAC. Night and day, HUGE difference! Sonically in a different world than either the B&K or the Halo. Much better soundstage, much more clear. more transparent
3. I then upgraded the amp to BelCanto Ref 1000 monoblocks. They are much better, especially at louder volumes but even at lower volumes. But again, not "night and day" difference to my ears. But I do prefer the Belcantos a lot, lot more

Source and 200.2

I have my B&K ref 200.2 powering my ML Sources and they sound awesome together, tight bass with a warm sound overall.

Back