Exact Differences between Summit & Summit X?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2cents. The summit used is 4 to 5k. The summit x is 14k
new. Their are some strong points that the summit could be a better speaker than the
spire. With a speaker I have a tendency to lean towards the concept that more is more
Two woofers two amps 400 Watts vs 1 woofer and 200 watts. The
summit was the companys flagship. I would go for the summit. I have not
heard the spire but I still get stuck on the points above which piggy back on
what Gordon had to say.

Honestly, you could consider staying with your Ascent i's and spending the money higher up the chain. Biamping your Ascent i's with different, high end amps or upgrading your pre or source. All of those could make significant differences in the quality of the sound you get from your Ascent i's. I know they sound awesome with tubes on the panels and solid state on the woofers, or driven by an amp like a Pass Labs or Conrad Johnson SS.

Or, you could always trade your Ascent i's in on used Summits now, and in three to four years, trade those in for used Summit X's once their price comes down to reasonable levels. That way, you know you have a solid upgrade path for your speakers over the next five to ten years.

Gordon,

I respectfully disagree with you. This hobby is pretty much all about personal opinions. Yes, there are many speakers better than Logans, and many are worse. There are models within the Logan lineup that are better than others - both objectively (Summit vs. Vantage) and subjectively as we are discussing. If you feel differently, I respect that, but I strongly disagree with you.

Having come from the Ascent up through the next 2 generations of Logans, I am speaking from personal experience and sharing these opinions with the original poster. Now that he has mentioned that he believes the older cross-over is good enough, I agree with Rich that he may as well stick with the Ascent.

Diversity of opinion is a good thing. It helps one think through the options and make better decisions. It is even more valuable if one has experienced something personally vs. just running one's mouth off as one frequently finds on many of the audio sites. What's wrong with a little "model warfare"? What's the value of the board if opinions are not shared?

By the way, Ken Kessler, who may be one of the most respected audio experts alive today and a long time Summit owner, feels just like I do about the Spire and the Summit.

David,

I did expect someone to cite the KK review to support the Spire v Summit position.

As I'm sure you know, one person's opinion about any given product may or may not be consistent with another person's perspective on the same product.

There are folks on this website that sincerely believe that the legacy models surpass the current offerings.

Having owned three of those models, I also understand that perspective.

Gordon

I have noticed that the Spire is bi-wireable while the Summit is not.

Why would the lower Spire have that option and the Summit not have it?

Dominick

- The Summits do have bi-wireable speaker posts while the Summit X has two posts. I doubt there is any advantage to bi-wiring but having the option allows you to use bi-wire cables you already own.

- The Ascent i's are a very formidable speaker. I would consider keeping them and upgrading elsewhere or possibly adding a Depth i subwoofer. Although, the Summits or Spires are a much more compact speaker and less imposing in the room.

Unfortunately, the one point that really defines the summit vs. spire for me is the room, and you won't know that until you get the speakers in the room.

Having had both for quite some time, I found that because of my room's response, it was easier to dial in a more seamless bass response with the 25 and 50hz controls on the Summit, vs. the single 35hz control on the Spire.

The Spire was still very good, but I could get smoother, more extended bass response with the Summit in my room. When we took the speakers over to another staff members house (with a different configuration) it was exactly the opposite, we got better bass with the Spire.

Either way, we are splitting hairs here. Summit, Summit X and Spire are all very close in performance to the point, you can build a world class system around any one of them.

well his first question is what are the exact differences between the summit and the summit x ? I would call Logan and ask them I asked them about my stage and my set of spires vs their other models and they where very helpful and did not seem to be biased to just the more expensive models they gave me the real technical differences and a little opinion about the sound that was it.

Summit X feet for the Legacy Summit

Did you purchase the new feet straight form ML and how much are they for?

Thanks

I don't think this question was ever answered.

Can we purchase the Summit X feet for the legacy Summit's directly from ML?

What is the cost?

Are they a "perfect" replacement, meaning do you just unscrew one and inset the other, with NO problems?

Thanks!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

I believe the answer is yes.

Just call ML to confirm.

Rake angle adjustment options, from my personal experience, are highly recommended.

Gordon

I don't think this question was ever answered.

Can we purchase the Summit X feet for the legacy Summit's directly from ML?

What is the cost?

Are they a "perfect" replacement, meaning do you just unscrew one and inset the other, with NO problems?

Thanks!

Joe M.

Yes they are available directly from ML, and yes they screw right in. It took me about 20 mins total to install the new feet and reposition my speakers...but I'm an old guy with a bad back.

Pricing you need to get from ML

Summit X feet

Yes they are available directly from ML, and yes they screw right in. It took me about 20 mins total to install the new feet and reposition my speakers...but I'm an old guy with a bad back.

Pricing you need to get from ML

Thnaks Jerry!

I'll have to give ML a call. I have tried adding cardboard squares to the back feet, experimenting with a different number of them stacked on top of each other. My Summit's are on carpeting and and it can be a challenge getting it right. Cardboard is not very stable and while it helps lock in the sound stage better, it negatively effects the base response due to instability.

Joe M.

PS: Gordon was instrumental in the fact I even have the Summit's! I started out with Vantages and a Descent i sub, but could not get it to integrate good enough for my taste. Gordon suggested the Summits and the rest is history. Thanks Gordon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe,

Glad you like them.

I'm confident that once you get the new footers and get the azimuth adjusted close to or at 90 degrees, you will be one happy camper. Remember to check both panels so that they are exactly at the same angle. If you need some help doing this, I will gladly provide advice as to how to verify the angle consistency.

Also, I assume the spikes are such that they will pierce the carpet and firmly couple to your sub floor. If your other spikes did, this should be a non issue.

Best,

Gordon

Getting the rake angle on the speakers as close to exactly the same, will yield benefits in imaging, regardless of what you decide the perfect angle for you is....

Definitely a good idea.

Hi Guys

Does someone have the details on amps/xover vs each speaker? pictures? Anyone tried to put the summit X electronics in the summit?

My 2 cents here - I own Summits and I ordered the Summit X spikes from the European importer. In the US ML can probable help you out. I paid something like $600 + shipping. They do allow for the adjustments documented in the Summit-X manual.
I did hear them side-to-sde and IMHO the difference is subtle.

Well, my Summits can be bi-wired. Says so right in the manual.

There is no need to bi wire the summits. Basically the upper post goes to the panel and the lower to the amps. I will upload a picture of the xover tomorrow to show you how it works.

If u are interested in the summits be sure and have the bass amps checked by someone that’s fimilar with the summits that they are working correctly I have had numerous problems with mine going bad. Check the forum for people having the same problem

Back