MLs and sunlight?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveInNC

Reaction score
I've always heard that you shouldn't really have your panels in sunlight (e.g. near a window). Does that carry over to northern exposures too, in other words, any outdoor light? I'm considering buying a condo in a mid-rise building which is pretty much sheathed in glass. The particular unit that I'm looking at has mainly a northern exposure, so no direct sunlight. Is that going to be a bad idea for panels, or is the main issue with direct UV? It would kind of suck to have to curtain the windows. The view is part of the appeal of downtown living.

While I don't know much about sunlight's effects on the speaker, you can always put a sock on the speaker while not in use and obviate the need for curtains, blinds and drapes to maintain the spectacular view.

Last edited:
strong sunlight will degrade most everything I would call Logan and ask them specifically about their speakers. but I imagine direct sunlight even filtered would eventually ruin the panels.

strong sunlight will degrade most everything I would call Logan and ask them specifically about their speakers. but I imagine direct sunlight even filtered would eventually ruin the panels.

Mylar films are much more resistant to UV exposure than traditional plastics due to the absence of plasticizers in the film. In traditional plastics, the UV sensitivity may be caused by the plasticizers being converted into free radicals and degrading the plastic. The coating on the panels may be a different story altogether but the mylar is probably nothing to worry about.

Ask the realtor for a discount to cover getting new panels twice as often.

(Really, I think you'll be fine in this case of no direct sunlight.)

Sunlight can be brutal.

Black-out shades thread:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10635

At a museum in Detroit they put a UV filter coating on all of the glass in an atrium (Kresge Court at the DIA), it was blue/purple in color. I guess it's better to have a blue colored world than a dark one with no view or light at all.

Many condo leases have restrictions and requirements on window treatments and shades. They do this so the building looks consistent from the outside and not all hodge-podge. See what your lease and condo board says first before you do anything.

I think most of us have windows in our listening rooms, just use some common sense.

Last edited:
Steve,

To the best of my knowledge, having your speakers exposed to "background" light (no direct sun) should have no effect on the panel.

This is the exact situation with my set up with a north facing window.

If you want to be sure, call the ML service department.

GG

Steve,

To the best of my knowledge, having your speakers exposed to "background" light (no direct sun) should have no effect on the panel.

This is the exact situation with my set up with a north facing window.

If you want to be sure, call the ML service department.

GG
Good answer.

Back