Who can recommend a nce Power amp for My Prefaces?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I have used Audiogon for near a decade and not once have had a single issue.
It truly is unlike Ebay. I have done the majority of my purchasing locally from Audiogon listings. I have however sold many items which I shipped across the Country.

Seller Ratings are a really good indicator on the 'gon in terms of purchasing items. Moreover, the site really has such a High End Audio slant, it really seems the vast majority are good people. Perhaps a generalization, but I have had such a positive experience there that perhaps I am just lucky.

The A23 would be a fine Amplifier for your Prefaces. I totally understand wanting to buy new and having a Warranty. That being said, Amplifiers like the Aragons are truly built to last and the savings are immense.
In addition, the 4004/8008 has a massively larger power supply. Considering they retailed for multiples of the A23, they should.

I have literally purchased 4 different Aragon 8008bb's on Audiogon. One time, I drove from Charleston, SC to Northern Indiana to pickup one. Every time, I have broken even or made money when selling them.

I am just a sucker for Amplifiers with huge Toroidal Transformers and Capacitors. I have purchased dozens of Amplifiers from the gon' and have never had one that was broken.

I would click on the Search Button on the Main Page where you can enter in the first 2 digits of your Zip Code. You never know what might be available in your area. If you find something interesting, report back.
Cheers,
JJ

Were Aragon amps released somewhere in mid 90's? (correct me if im wrong). Lets say the amp which runs hot (like 8008) is 15 years old. What is going to happen with all of the capacitors? Higher temp plus 15 years will most likely result in caps to dry. And we all know this is not a good thing.

Ron,

If you provide some details about the rest of your system, your room, type of music, how loud you prefer to listen to music, etc, hopefully some folks will chime in.

Some general observations. All watts are not created equal. High current amps that can handle panel impedance swings are typically preferable than those amps that cannot.

Do you use any room treatments?

What is the sonic signature of your listening environment?

Do you have a bias towards tube versus solid state?

What do you feel is currently lacking with your amp / system?

Are you OK buying used equipment?

Would you consider a quality integrated amp?

Answering questions like this will provide us more insight and hopefully allow for some relevant recommendations.

Gordon

Geez Gordon, those were all great ?'s to ask of oneself when acquiring any new gear. Where were you when I needed you 15 years ago?:bowdown:

Hello,
The Prefaces should not require the near the power requirements of the Electrostatic Models.

Used Aragon 8008 or 4004's are excellent choices. They have huge Toroidal Transformers and high levels of Capacitance. American made and available for under 1000 Dollars. 4004's are often available for around 650 Dollars and were Designed by Krell Founder Dan D'Agostino.
Cheers,
ML

Especially the 8008BB model, which I've seen on AG recently as low as $900. Stereophile strong B rating if I recall correctly. Affordable, powerful, balanced inputs...cant' beat that for the price!

I guess I need to decide how much it is worth to me to go from great to very extravagent sound. I never heard of Pass or Plinius until this thread and forgive me but I have been living with this Crown amp for many years. It kind of grew on me. I will check out these lines for sure and can always plan to spend more if I need to. Now here is a question for you...which would you buy? The Pass or the Plinius on the high end or the Parasound as a starter for a few years?
Thank You!

I can best answer that this way.

10 years ago you'd commonly locate a Plinius SA100Mk II selling for $1800 on AG. Fast forward 10 years, and today you'll find Plinius SA100Mk III's selling in the area of $2k. That model is 10 years old, and when they hit AG classifieds they're generally sold within 24 hours. That should tell you something about their popularity, which frankly is because they perform.

Nothing against Pass amps, for I've owned my share of Pass gear. But for the price of a used Plinius I know of no Pass amp that can touch the Plinius for $17-1800.

Final word...don't marry yourself to any one item. Ha, but don't take my advice for I've been known to swap gear as often as I change my socks!

Good luck!

there are no high current tube amplifiers out there....

Grab a nice Threshold 400A used for about 600 bucks and you'll be blown away at the sound diff between it and your Crown, without spending huge money.

There's one that entered the fray on AG just y'day in fact!

Hello,
I really think it needs to be stated again that while the Prefaces are truly excellent Speakers, they are Electrostatic and do not pose the same demands on a partnering amplifier.

The Parasound 2125 is a nice Amplifier, but is part of the New Classic Series that was not designed by John Curl. The Curl designed Parasound gear incorporates much larger power transformers and higher levels of capacitance.

Most of the HCA Series was designed John Curl and is an excellent used value.
Amplfiers like the HCA-2200 and HCA-3500 would be great choices.

And again the Dan D'Agostino Designed Aragon 4004 is an excellent value and is very powerful and available for around 650.
Cheers,
ML
And I have to add that both the 2200 and 3500 were amp hum central in my system...as were the Aragon Palladium's and a few others.

JJ,

I noticed that people like to shop AG for used gear too. Don't you get nervous dealing that kind of cash with just a hunch the gear and seller are good? Worries me a little but not overly so. Its like your running blind and have to take whatever happens in the end. QUOTE]

Valid concerns all around. I was one of the first 300 to join AG in' 97. You can address your concerns by doing the following:

Always pay via PP, which will give you some buying protection. There's no need to send some unknown person with "0" feedback a $1k check with a hope and a prayer that something is actually shipped to you. In all the time on AG, I've only been burned once, and that's because I was in a rush to seal the deal on an advertised steal for a Sunfire CG for $1k which at the time was $500 off of the going price for one. As it turned out 20 others sent the same advertiser a check for $1k as well. He set up a bank account with a fake ID, and split town soon after never to be heard from again. That was in the days long before PP.

Another option I often use is the AG system to present your offer. Doing so costs you the buyer nothing, and the seller $13 on a $1500 item. That system in turn provides for a smooth as sails transaction, which means solid communication from offer to acquisition. Email me if I can be of any assistance. I'm approaching 50 transactions there, many of which have been items averaging $1500-$2k. I've bought/sold upwards to $4k but only a few times. And by AG standards $4k is nothing.

And also its a 1700 dollar system yes I could buy a 4000 dollar system and have better but cannot afford.

Whats an audio geek to do? :eek:

Buy the best used amp you can afford. All new amps become used as soon as you open the box. Maximize your purchase by acquiring a used perennial performer like the Aragon 8008BB that was rec'd to you earlier by someone on the forum. That will handle all your amplification needs easily for 10 years, and then you'd likely still be able to sell it if/when you were in an upgrade move. I saw one listed in CA on AG recently as low as $900...typically those are bringing in $1100, so there's money to be made on that one..but not by me, for if there's not at least a $3-400 bill to be made I generally don't touch it.

Good luck!

Buy the best used amp you can afford. All new amps become used as soon as you open the box. Maximize your purchase by acquiring a used perennial performer like the Aragon 8008BB that was rec'd to you earlier by someone on the forum. That will handle all your amplification needs easily for 10 years, and then you'd likely still be able to sell it if/when you were in an upgrade move. I saw one listed in CA on AG recently as low as $900...typically those are bringing in $1100, so there's money to be made on that one..but not by me, for if there's not at least a $3-400 bill to be made I generally don't touch it.

Good luck!

Hello,
That is an excellent point. Last year, I sold one of my two 8008bb's for 1250 Dollars that I had purchased for 800 Dollars locally on Audiogon. The Aragon's and Parasound HCA Series will keep their value.

As to ground loops, though controversial, using cheater plugs (switches a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug) has always gotten rid of ground loops with the above Amplifiers. In over a decade on using the Amplifiers described, I have had no issues whatsoever when resorting to cheater plugs.
Cheers,
JJ

Buy the best used amp you can afford. All new amps become used as soon as you open the box. Maximize your purchase by acquiring a used perennial performer like the Aragon 8008BB that was rec'd to you earlier by someone on the forum....Good luck!

Almost had one right after it was recommended to me someone bought it out from under me. Nice deal on an 8080ST 675 bucks!

The Parasound A21 is going for about 1400 in mint used condiditon and the P3 preamp for around 500. I did notice that but will keep my eyes open for the Aragon. ssshh :cool:

Last edited:
Hello,
That is an excellent point. Last year, I sold one of my two 8008bb's for 1250 Dollars that I had purchased for 800 Dollars locally on Audiogon. The Aragon's and Parasound HCA Series will keep their value.

As to ground loops, though controversial, using cheater plugs (switches a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug) has always gotten rid of ground loops with the above Amplifiers. In over a decade on using the Amplifiers described, I have had no issues whatsoever when resorting to cheater plugs.
Cheers,
JJ

Hi JJ,

Whew, u stole that amp @ $800! Yes, even though Mondial's sold out, both the Acurus/Aragon products have cut quite a niche for themselves. I observed a killer buy on an Acurus 200x3 for $400 on AG just days ago. They're very good performers for the money. Cheater plugs have been around forever it seems. However I've always been hesitant to use them. It's that insurance company policy violation that keeps me following the straight and narrow. Although I know they're commonly used. Even both pairs of Palladiums I owned in XLR config were plagued with the ground loop syndrome. Still, all in all a very nice product line in A/A for the money.

Enjoy!
G.

Almost had one right after it was recommended to me someone bought it out from under me. Nice deal on an 8080ST 675 bucks!

The Parasound A21 is going for about 1400 in mint used condiditon abd the P3 preamp for around 500. I did notice that but will keep my eyes open for the Aragon. ssshh :cool:

Yes, you've got to be fast when anything hits that board listed at a good price. It's like folks are just standing buy to pounce on anything that's a hot buy. And don't even think of offering anything less than the asking price for items exceptionally priced. You're not likely to get a reply, and the item will have been sold to someone who offered to pay the seller's asking price plus shipping.

A lil' trick I learned is if something's priced hot, and u, I, and ev1 else wants it, I'll submit my email request with: I'd like to buy this item but I'd prefer to discuss payment arrangements with you by telephone if you don't mind? Providing my number while asking for there's.

That let's the seller know you're serious, and ready to buy. It doesn't work all the time, especially if I've caught the ad late, but that just might put u towards the head of the line of the 10 others who've mailed the seller before you. A telephone call is fast, to the point, and far less work to the seller. Not only that but you'll gain a much better feel for the person you're about to buy from. Is this person legit, is the item as described, etc....once you've got them on the phone you're in better position to ascertain if this is a purchase that should be made. Email gets you in, telephone gets you over. Try it. Good luck in your quest!

Enjoy,
G.

Enjoy,
G.

What about a Bryston 4B-SSt2 guys? I have been offered one new in my name born and hand made for me at a great price 3200 bucks. The interconnects alone are almost six hundred...

Still a bit expensive but it would be the last word. Is it overkill here or pure joy? nervous now...

Thank You!

Last edited:
Back