Who can recommend a nce Power amp for My Prefaces?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rw_designs

Reaction score
Who can recommend a nice Power amp for My Prefaces?

I am curently running a Carver C-4000T preamp with a Crown D-150A. The sound is beautiful but I think these speakers would like some more headroom. The Crown runs at about 180 watts rms per channel at 4ohms.

I would like to keep it under 2K if the gear is right. These speakers are not being used for Home Theatre but for a 2ch music system.
Thanks fellas....
:music:

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Numerous threads and posts on this issue. Check out the search function.

Just be advised that you will see many diverse opinions. The bottom line is that it is all about system synergy and, most importantly, what sounds best to you.

GG

Thanks Gordon. I have checked the search function and alot of the results are for Home Theatre or are somewhat dated. I was hoping to get up to date here if I could.

The system I am using is quite nice but was hoping for some current 2 channel power amp recommendations for these speakers just to see what I could learn. I don't mean to be a "schlep" really but I have learned so much here from folks since I got these speakers.

Last edited:
Ron,

If you provide some details about the rest of your system, your room, type of music, how loud you prefer to listen to music, etc, hopefully some folks will chime in.

Some general observations. All watts are not created equal. High current amps that can handle panel impedance swings are typically preferable than those amps that cannot.

Do you use any room treatments?

What is the sonic signature of your listening environment?

Do you have a bias towards tube versus solid state?

What do you feel is currently lacking with your amp / system?

Are you OK buying used equipment?

Would you consider a quality integrated amp?

Answering questions like this will provide us more insight and hopefully allow for some relevant recommendations.

Gordon

I doubt any subject has been covered more extensively than 2 channel (or multichannel) powered amps.

I'd take a shot at answering some of Gordon's questions first.

A short list to get you started:

Rotel
Pass
Plinius
Sunfire
Outlaw

maybe toss another 20 up here...

Erik

Hello,
The Prefaces should not require the near the power requirements of the Electrostatic Models.

Used Aragon 8008 or 4004's are excellent choices. They have huge Toroidal Transformers and high levels of Capacitance. American made and available for under 1000 Dollars. 4004's are often available for around 650 Dollars and were Designed by Krell Founder Dan D'Agostino.
Cheers,
ML

To answer some of these questions, and by the way thank you for the reponses, I am looking for more headroom. The Crown D-150A runs at about 180 RMS 4 ohms and has input /output comparators that flash when the output is not an exact replica of the input. The manual says they will flash on occasion and this is normal. Well I have found that on some extreme peaks they do just that but I believe I need more headroom. Loud is not what I am into but the accurate relay of sound energy during these peaks. I generally listen at or near those levels some nights but not always. I do like sonic impact as most audiophiles do.

Integrated I do not want as then I am stuck with a preamp I may want to upgrade someday. I will not buy used. I prefer solid state and am not a tube collector.

I listen to some rock but lately mostly classical and jazz. On occasion I will play Jeff Beck or Jimmy Page. I don't listen to Pink Floyd or REO Speedwagon or any groups like that. It's mostly classical now and only the very finest rock guitarists in the world.

I like Hiromi and Hearts of Space and Echoes ambient electronic music as well.

My room size is maybe 14 x 30 ft and is plush with a concrete floor and heavy rug over 3 inches thick. The walls are paneled but not hard as there are curtains and a fireplace. There is a large sectional couch in the listening area with 36 or more square feet in front of the Prefaces which are 8ft apart, slightly toed in and 10 feet from where I sit. They are two feet from the front wall. Same as in a showroom. I do not have room treatments but am looking into some soft baffles for the rear corners.

Again it is not ear bleeding volume I am looking for but headroom to allow whatever comes through from the sources to live sonically without being a challenge for the amp.

I am running the following sources: A Thorens TD-145 Turntable and AT440mla cartrdige, a Sony HD receiver and a Marantz SA8003 SACD which I just bought. I have a huge collection of vintage gear but am building a new system right now.

I am sorry if this subject has been covered but things change as well as opinions over time. I thought maybe it was something everyone loved to talk about.
If I left anything out I am sorry. I will answer any questions you may have. I have been into audio since 1970 and am an Electronics Engineer turned writer by trade.

I like this forum too, and understand the serious nature of the ML line and its ability thats why I am asking these questions.
Thank You all.
Ron

Last edited:
Ok. Well, thanks for the help fellas.

I am a fan of Parasound. I spoke with Martin Logan tech support recently and asked for a few recommendations about what amp to purchase for my Sources. The Parasound line came highly recommended as a "clean" and cost-effective solution to my need to drive these speakers. I went with the 2125 and found the sound to be much improved from what I had before. This unit is currently on sale at AudioAdvisors for around $550. I had considered using a pair of Emotiva UPA-1's, however in reading the specs, the Parasound had less distortion noted. I also picked up DH Labs Silver Sonic Air Matirx ICs from the Cable Company - very nice indeed.

The Parasound and DH Labs are great recommendations. Also the Aragon amps are very nice sounding too. These are the best recommendations in this thread - but again it all depends on the $$$ you are willing to spend as Pass and Plinius will definitely cost you more, but ultimately give you great sound.

I am a fan of Parasound. I spoke with Martin Logan tech support recently and asked for a few recommendations about what amp to purchase for my Sources. The Parasound line came highly recommended as a "clean" and cost-effective solution to my need to drive these speakers. I went with the 2125 and found the sound to be much improved from what I had before. This unit is currently on sale at AudioAdvisors for around $550. I had considered using a pair of Emotiva UPA-1's, however in reading the specs, the Parasound had less distortion noted. I also picked up DH Labs Silver Sonic Air Matirx ICs from the Cable Company - very nice indeed.

Thank you for the recommendation on Parasound. I have admired their line but never heard any of their gear and I know it is worth looking into. I will have a look at the 2125. I like the Halo P3 preamp.

Getting current here sure helps alot thank you! I have heard of the DH Labs IC's as well and have had a thought that the least expensive upgrade could be one of the best. Not to say they are inexpensive only less expensive than a new amp this next couple of months!

The Parasound and DH Labs are great recommendations. Also the Aragon amps are very nice sounding too. These are the best recommendations in this thread - but again it all depends on the $$$ you are willing to spend as Pass and Plinius will definitely cost you more, but ultimately give you great sound.

I guess I need to decide how much it is worth to me to go from great to very extravagent sound. I never heard of Pass or Plinius until this thread and forgive me but I have been living with this Crown amp for many years. It kind of grew on me. I will check out these lines for sure and can always plan to spend more if I need to. Now here is a question for you...which would you buy? The Pass or the Plinius on the high end or the Parasound as a starter for a few years?
Thank You!

Dam good question Ron.

Only you can answer based on those things on the side of all of our heads and, of course, budget. :D

I have a Pass Amp so my bias is obvious.

Having said that, all three are very good and I trust you will not be disappointed, regardless of what you choose.

Good luck.

GG

look @used tube stuff ,high current is what you need my friend !!! tubes is what you need ...:music::music:

look @used tube stuff ,high current is what you need my friend !!! tubes is what you need ...:music::music:

there are no high current tube amplifiers out there....

Grab a nice Threshold 400A used for about 600 bucks and you'll be blown away at the sound diff between it and your Crown, without spending huge money.

Hello,
I really think it needs to be stated again that while the Prefaces are truly excellent Speakers, they are Electrostatic and do not pose the same demands on a partnering amplifier.

The Parasound 2125 is a nice Amplifier, but is part of the New Classic Series that was not designed by John Curl. The Curl designed Parasound gear incorporates much larger power transformers and higher levels of capacitance.

Most of the HCA Series was designed John Curl and is an excellent used value.
Amplfiers like the HCA-2200 and HCA-3500 would be great choices.

And again the Dan D'Agostino Designed Aragon 4004 is an excellent value and is very powerful and available for around 650.
Cheers,
ML

Dam good question Ron.

Only you can answer based on those things on the side of all of our heads and, of course, budget. :D

I have a Pass Amp so my bias is obvious.

Having said that, all three are very good and I trust you will not be disappointed, regardless of what you choose.

Good luck.

GG

Thank You Gordon. Now I have some material to evaluate and this is what I was looking for -somewhere to start looking.
:music:

I'm sorry Rich but maybe I'm too tired tonight.

Please explain your post.

Gordon

Class A and Class A/B is a way of describing how the output devices in an amp are biased. Your Pass X350.5, unless I am mistaken, is a Class A/B design, hence my joke about your bias being Class A/B. If you had one of Pass' XA models, I'd have said that your bias was Class A instead. Call it a geek's pun... :)

Back