New toy to play with today - MC252

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
I was at our local audio shop today just browsing around and talking amps with the owners, just killing some time really. We got on the discussion of good amps vs cheaper amps and I was saying that I hadn't really heard a good comparison to make the decision for myself if a $5k amp is really worth $5k. Well, he insisted that I take some amps home. lol. He put an MC252 in my car and was trying to stuff a second one in there along with a bigger mcintosh. I didn't want to take $25k worth of equipment home to demo, though, so I just stuck with the MC252. Very generous of them to let me demo this amp because they know that there is very little likelihood that I'll be purchasing an amp in this price range in the near future.

Anyway, I got it home and hooked it up and it is pretty good. I am A/B'ing with a 5 channel rotel amp, so there really should be no comparison. The Mc252 is definitely way more dynamics and handles complex music much better. The highs sounded much more crisp compared to the rotel. And of course, it is eye candy. haha :) Of course, now I want to come up with something more like this for my combo, but preferably in the sub $2k price range. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 250-400w amp that is cheap and will perform well? Anyone have any opinions on the older MC7270? They seem to be pretty reasonably priced and the spec'd power is right where I am looking. Opinions?

DSC02201.jpg

Dejavu

"You may add Sunfire two channel and multi-channel amps to the mix. Many here at MLOC use them including myself.

The Sunfire amps are known for clean sound that carries lots of headroom.

They double down as the ohms drop and can go to 1 ohm without much difficulty.

One other nice characteristic is that they run cool in a cabinet or rack as compared to other A or B class amps.

And they are almost always available on A'gon for a good price:D"

I could of sworn I just heard this before..........

If you are looking at those kinds of watts, for that kind of used money, the Sunfire multichannel amps are hard to beat.

haha, yea. I haven't looked much at Sunfire, I'll definitely have to check them out. I would prefer a good multichannel to a stereo amp for sure if it can match the chracteristics of a good stereo amp. :)

I am A/B'ing with a 5 channel rotel amp
A few years ago I compared a Golden Tube Audio SE-100 (100 watt) tube amp to my old and trusty RB-870BX 100 watt 2-channel amp.

Both 100 watts, similar eras and the Rotel new costs about the same as the GTA used. Night and day.........I'm a tube man now.

Of all things, the bass was the biggest improvement.

I think I paid around $1,100 for it.

For $2,000 you should be able to pick up a good powerful tube amp. Expect to pay another $300 in tubes every five years though.

Tube just doesn't make sense for me - I use my stuff for home theater and casual TV watching, too.

Which rotel are you testing.. you should be looking at the 1575.. 5x250 in8 ohms and doubles into 4. I have the 2 channel version and it's pretty awesome (although I've never had a Mc in y system :)

Tube just doesn't make sense for me - I use my stuff for home theater and casual TV watching, too.
Okay, I agree.

My Rotel amps do just fine in HT duties, I think the processor, DVD player, TV/screen will get you more upgrade rewards than an amp switch.

Latest posts

Back