Prodigy Sneak Peak

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
Ward, did Jim track down a pair of Prodigies for you? Or did you already have a pair and send them to be refinish them?

I am asking because I have been looking for Prodigies. And ideally, I want to get a Brand New Pair.
Cheers,
ML

OK here's the scoop. JTWRACE told me about this pair. I contacted the owner and worked out a deal. He didn't have any boxes so I contacted Jim Power at Martin Logan. Jim told me he remembered this custom pair. He also said they still had the boxes and foam inserts for the panels but that they no longer had any boxes for the bass bins, only the foam inserts. Well I work for a corrugating company; cardboard boxes for you outside the industry. Jim was kind enough to send me the spec and I had a pair of the bass bin boxes custom cut here and send to Martin Logan. Jim loaded up all the new packaging and freighted it to Maine. It took the seller some time to get these boxed up but had no way to ship them easily because a pallet would not fit throught his door and these have to be freighted on a pallet. So he contacts a friend who owns a shipping company who inturns goes by and picks these up, takes them to his business, stretch wraps and bands them to a pallet. I then contact my freight company to pick them up. Three days later they are in my living room. They are mint and include the super spikes, original power cords and manual. A bit of a long ordeal and post, but good things come to those who wait. I'm a happy camper.

Ok here it is and words can not do justice to the experience.

prodigy06.jpg

:drool:Wow!:drool: I want a pair.....really good looking set of Prodigy's you won there. Congratulations!:bowdown:

Are you running them with the Carver and the Ampzilla amps?
Dan

Last edited:
:drool:Wow!:drool: I want a pair.....really good looking set of Prodigy's you won there. Congratulations!:bowdown:

Are you running them with the Carver and the Ampzilla amps?
Dan

The Ampzilla 2000's are bi-wired to the Prodigy's. Each Carver Silver 7t drives a 12" sub in the sub horn (there are two in the cabinet).

Hello,
That is absolutely stunning. The Prodigies have a gravitas that really is lacking in the current generation with the exception of the CLX. Truly majestic.
Cheers,
ML

That is freaking fabulous. Congrats. Now. The sound!? Seems
like a lot of talk about the old design lately...from a proud odyssey
owner. Is that your listening spot? That is pretty far back. How do
the speakers like the hard wood any boomy bass?

Last edited:
That is freaking fabulous. Congrats. Now. The sound!? Seems
like a lot of talk about the old design lately...from a proud odyssey
owner. Is that your listening spot? That is pretty far back. How do
the speakers like the hard wood any boomy bass?

The Prodigy's are very balanced. The bass is tight and present but not boomy in the least. They are typical open and airy and love the open space. So even 20-25 feet back they sound fabulous. I think these were really meant for large rooms and they can fill one with ease. While they sound nice at low or moderate listening level they really open up and shine when you start to push them. They love the power and give back with even more detail and imaging. They truely are the best of both worlds; articulate jazz and chamber music to slammin bass and rock.

The Prodigy's are very balanced. The bass is tight and present but not boomy in the least. They are typical open and airy and love the open space. So even 20-25 feet back they sound fabulous. I think these were really meant for large rooms and they can fill one with ease. While they sound nice at low or moderate listening level they really open up and shine when you start to push them. They love the power and give back with even more detail and imaging. They truely are the best of both worlds; articulate jazz and chamber music to slammin bass and rock.

Believe it or not an audio store close to where I live still has a demo pair of Prodigy's on their floor. Go figure D.R.

Hello,
That is absolutely stunning. The Prodigies have a gravitas that really is lacking in the current generation with the exception of the CLX. Truly majestic.
Cheers,
ML

Sorry ML,

With all due respect, I disagree. Each iteration has its own strengths and weaknesses. It's up to each individual to decide.

I'm happy that Ward likes the Prodigy.

GG

Excellent, and a great looking setup as well.

Are you sure your sub is big enough now? :cool:

And is the corner placement a benefit or do you have some modes from that location?
Not that you'd have much choice about where else to put it :eek:

Ward

They look great! Just like I remember when I used to listen to them. Glad it all worked out and your happy.

Sorry ML,

With all due respect, I disagree. Each iteration has its own strengths and weaknesses. It's up to each individual to decide.

I'm happy that Ward likes the Prodigy.

GG

Gordon, while I agree with your statement that each gen has its own strengths and weaknesses and each individual has to decide what they prefer, I still wholeheartedly agree with ML's statement. The Prodigies do have a gravitas (great description), both physically and sonically, that the newer ML's just don't possess (save perhaps for the CLX, which I haven't seen or heard). Our Summits are great speakers and are incredibly even and neutral in tone, but they just don't have near the gravitas of a pair of Prodigies.

Beautiful setup, Ward. Just beautiful.

I reckon you need to get them piano blacked!

Actually, you can take the side tirm off for the black look, if they're like Ascents (I'm pretty sure they will be). They look surprisingly OK side-naked, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course.

Anyway, respect where respect is due - they look like they should be awesome, and I'm sure they will be. Size matters, as the actress said to the bishop.

Enjoy!

Looks much better in that setup with the wood than

mine would have with the silver, good choice !

Next step would be to try some tubes on the panels,

Enjoy ! Enjoy !

Wow I really love the room and the new subs and speakers look fabulous!!!

With your woodworking skills you should veneer the prodigy's to match the sub with the Tiger wood

I bet they sound fantastic in that large room , I am of the camp that the older ML's look like works of art compared to the newer models

Last edited:
Hello,
Gordon, I completely understand you not agreeing with my statement and I certainly meant no offense.
Again, my HT is all current generation ML's and I truly am pleased.

It is just the second I looked at that picture, those were the words that came to mind. And is probably why I am currently seeking a pair of Prodigies.
Cheers,
ML

Latest posts

Back