Is my room size and layout appropriate for CLXs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I currently have ML Summits that sound fantastic, but of course there is always that last bit of bliss we all think we can achieve. I am considering used CLXs, but want to know if my room sounds like a good fit. My Summits are dialed in well, but since the CLXs are considerably wider, with the bass panels closer to the side walls, I am concerned. My room is 16'10" wide, 27' long. The current Summits INNER side of the panels are 46.5" from the side walls (outer panels start at 3' from side walls) and 39" (again, the panel, not the woofer box) out from the front wall. So the CLX INNER side of the panel could be no farther into the room than the 46.5" from the side walls. That is about 10ft between the speakers. So does that leave room for the CLX to breath since the bass panel will be considerably closer to the side walls than my Summit's bass drivers are? Any other considerations to keep me from looking into them?

There is nowhere close to me to audition, so I would be buying blind. I love the Summits though, so I cant imagine the CLX isnt better in every way...

Thanks!

I had Summits in my man cave which is only 7 ft tall by 26 by 14, not really that big but I worked at it and got them dialed in and they sounded amazing. Every one that I demoed the system too was blown away by the Summits, but then I listened to the CLX and had to have them.

I heard the CLXs demoed at the dealer in a similar sized room to mine and when I put them in my room, I added some more sound treatments but they definitely are a step up from the Summits.

The best way I can describe it, is that when listening to the Summits, I would have an "aha" moment about 50% of the time. But when you listen to CLXs, you have an "AHA" moment every time, and that is no exaggeration.

What kind of used price did you find on CLXs, if I can ask?

I saw the two for sale also. If I had the room, I would buy them in a heartbeat. Sounds like you have plenty of room for them. My recomendation is to purchase the McIntosh MEN 220 room perfect. Then it doesn't matter how close the speakers are to the side or back wall. I use this in my system with my Summits. Best improvement I ever made to my system.

Yeah looks like around 16k on Audiogon, although both are for the Anniversary edition, so the sellers paid more for them and thus need a high resale. I dont care anything about the anniversary, so I am waiting for some in the 13k range. Back a few months ago there was a pair for about that.

It seems that the new CLX is no longer on audiogon. Someone must have bought it.

Back