"Bi-amping" question... should I do it?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
I have a pair of Ascents on the way to replace my Aerius and I am thinking about taking advantage of the bi-amping capabilities. Currently, I only have one amp and it is a 5 channel rotel amp. So, my bi-amp would actually be 2 channels to each of the front speakers from the same Rotel amp. Is this a reasonable combination or am I wasting my time? I would just try it and see, but to try it and see I will need to buy 2 Y interconnects and another matching speaker cable. What does everyone think?

How big of an amp do you have? What preamp?

Yamaha RX-V863 for processing, RB-985 amp (100w at 8ohm). Nothing too serious at the moment. I would be utilizing the internal passive crossovers in the speakers.

I really don't have any experience using a processor in a stereo setup if you use a Y adapter you may lose something sound-wise in the cabling between pre and power I don't know.
Power-wise I don't know how much you'll gain a 100 watts should be enough the way it is but having more sure can't hurt. I think the Rotels are good amp for the money, I have the 985 in my Ht setup also but I've never had them hooked up to the Logans.
With speaker cables (I have Sequel IIs) I much prefer bi-wiring and don't be afraid to use different cables for the highs and lows I do it purposely to tailor the sound.
In the end trying is the only way you'll know for sure, I'd at least try bi-wiring if you don't decide to bi-amp.
Also you might think about picking up a a stereo preamp you can pickup a nice older one like my Audible Illusions 2d for maybe $350.00 (it's tubed though) which I think will make a huge improvement.

I actually bought some biwire cable already for the speakers, so I am prepared for biwiring for sure. I am just playing out some what if scenarios. A stereo amp might be the smarter choice.

I actually bought some bi-wire cable already for the speakers, so I am prepared for bi-wiring for sure. I am just playing out some what if scenarios. A stereo amp might be the smarter choice.

I think your amp is fine I was suggesting possibly a good stereo preamp might be a benefit.

I do this now with a sunfire sig but the sunfire is a little more
flexible because it let's you daisy chain the front and rear
channels. I like the what biamping does. I think you get a
better sound. I second the stereo pre. I got a Cary and what
a difference. The Cary replaced a sunfire processor.

Are you dead set on Two-channel or is your Rotel actually setup for HT and you are just trying to configure a two-channel option via bi-amping?

Have you been to Audio Solutions in Broad Ripple?

Last edited:
My stuff is actually HT, but my receiver is plenty powerful for the rear 3 speakers, so I could sacrifice 4 channels on that amp for biamping if the benefits are worth while.

And yea, I drop into Audio Solutions occassionally. We're lucky to be able to demo some serious gear at a couple places in town for sure.

Well here is an idea that you might like and it solves your bi-amping issue.

If you were to add a Oppo BDP83 or 83SE, you could hook it up to your AVR as a pre-amp and then use your HT setup to listen to Multi-Channel sources like SACD, DVD Audio, DVD Video, Bluray and many others. If you like the sound of movies in multi-channel, you will probably like (love) 5.1 music on Logans. I am addicted with over 20 logans in 3 different multi-channel systems. The addiction is easy, its the quitting that is hard.:D

Do you like, Beatles, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode, Porcupine Tree, Fleetwood Mac, Al Dimeola, or some other genre? If so give me some band names you like and I could lend you a few SACDs or DVD audio discs that you could play when you get a Universal player. I could probably arrange for a universal player for you to try if truth be told, but the trouble is I always have trouble with the truth.:rolleyes:

I am afraid we live too close for comfort to each other.:D

3 different multichannel combos? What area do you live in? You'll have to show me some time. ;-)

I actually picked up a HD audio multichannel bluray sampler disc from AIX records not long ago. It is very cool and sounds great, but I none of the music really did it for me. I think I would enjoy it a lot more with 5 electrostat channels, though. I only have 3 electrostats up front paired with 3 vignettes for rears.

I highly recommend bi-amping the Ascents, although I think the preferred way to do it is solid state on the woofers and tubes on the panels. But even with your Rotel, you should get some great sound bi-amping them.

I am on Morse Reservoir near Harbortown.

Multi-Channel music is kind of an acquired taste, when properly exposed to it, you either love it or hate it.

But it really helps to be exposed to it in the right way. When you first hear it with the right setup and the right music, it can be very addicting.

In fact I do not listen to anything in two channel any more, I just can't do it because for me the whole reason I lwant hear multi-cahnnel music is to immerse myself in it and experience the music. A lot of people can not take the intensity of MCH, but I can't live without it.

So what genre of music do you like?

I listen to whatever is on, really, as long its not country. haha. My interest has always been movies first, but I am listening to more and more music again now that I've started to branch out into these speakers.

So, sometime we'll have to get together and you can show me why I need to upgrade speakers again and I'll show you why you need something faster than that silly red car in your avatar. haha ;-)

I highly recommend bi-amping the Ascents, although I think the preferred way to do it is solid state on the woofers and tubes on the panels. But even with your Rotel, you should get some great sound bi-amping them.

I have a buddy with a few tube amps laying around, I will definitely have to give it a try. Any opinion on splitting the interconnect for biamping?

I listen to whatever is on, really, as long its not country. haha. My interest has always been movies first, but I am listening to more and more music again now that I've started to branch out into these speakers.

So, sometime we'll have to get together and you can show me why I need to upgrade speakers again and I'll show you why you need something faster than that silly red car in your avatar. haha ;-)

Well that is not going to work. As I mentioned, not only am I addicted to ML sound but also am addicted to Red Cars. Like I said, addiction is easy, it's the quitting that is hard (impossible).:D

Where are you in Fishers?

Where do you work or do you work?

Give me a band or two you really like and I will see what I can do.:D

haha, I am just playing, can't hate on the red cars too much.... definitely a cool car. Too bad we don't have the GP any more, huh? I am not and probably will never be in a position to buy a Ferrari, but they're cool cars. My toy is a z06 right now that makes around 630rwhp, but I have kind of been toying with the idea of moving up to a porsche 996tt since I have a pregnant wife and the porsche would hold a baby seat in the back. I have some addictions going on, too, but on a tighter budget. lol

I am around 131st and 37 in Fishers and work in Carmel, 116th + Rangeline. I work in IT.

Beetles and Pink Floyd are great choices to start with.

I have a buddy with a few tube amps laying around, I will definitely have to give it a try. Any opinion on splitting the interconnect for biamping?

You can get high quality y-splitters from a number of cable manufacturers. You might just try some basic ones to start. Then if you find a setup you like, you can always upgrade the splitter later if you want. The key with bi-amping with different amps is that you need to match the voltage gain of the amps as closely as possible so you don't get a volume difference between the woofers and the panels. If you can't find amps with similar gains, you can put a volume switch in the circuit path of one of them. Actually, "volume switch" isn't the correct technical term for it, but my brain isn't working too well this morning.

Back