GIK acoustics versus RealTrap?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adanny, if looks are a concern, and they usually are, then look into a bit of integration work to put them behind a decor-appropriate structure to make them fit into the room.

For instance, instead of big rectangle hanging in a corner, just create a fabric frame that straddles the entire corner floor to ceiling (making it look like a 45 degree angle corner).
Using products like FabricMate tracks, this can be done in a few hours. And the results are really great looking.

The added benefit is you can then focus more on performance of the acoustical products and not their looks, as they will be invisible. You can even throw additional DIY solutions back there to improve absorption.

For some inspiration and examples, see what we did along both sides of the 14' of the most visible portion of my home theater.

Best wishes for your efforts, and keep us posted.

I'll go along with the consensus that they are ugly and kill room decor. Our 2 channel system is in our somewhat small, 11 X 23 living room. I have four corner Mondos, two HF Minis, two Micros and two tri-traps.

My wife has been remarkably accepting of them. As long as I don't say much about her scrap-booking room, life is good :D Fortunately, we do not entertain frequently, so explanation to others is not a factor, not that it would concern me anyway, it is my house!

I'll be retiring in about five years and we'll be building a house at that time which will include a dedicated listening room and a living room. I wanted to enjoy the benefit of the traps now and have them available later since they will work in any room.

Gordon

I'll go along with the consensus that they are ugly and kill room decor. Our 2 channel system is in our somewhat small, 11 X 23 living room. I have four corner Mondos, two HF Minis, two Micros and two tri-traps.

My wife has been remarkably accepting of them. As long as I don't say much about her scrap-booking room, life is good :D Fortunately, we do not entertain frequently, so explanation to others is not a factor, not that it would concern me anyway, it is my house!

I'll be retiring in about five years and we'll be building a house at that time which will include a dedicated listening room and a living room. I wanted to enjoy the benefit of the traps now and have them available later since they will work in any room.

Gordon

siighhh...exact opposite for us. We entertain a lot, we'd like to believe our family room is both warm and cool (if you catch my drift), and I'm not retiring anytime soon!

The challenge I have given myself is: Make The panels look like paintings, make other room corrections look like furniture, and/or create a built-in look (per JonFos suggestion; that seems hard to do). Wife views aside, I ain't keen to kill the room either but am keen to experinment with room corrections. Good news is we both like to experiment and we have a really trusted handiman :)

adanny, I hope you can tailor them to an acceptable level. I'll have to read your posts before I show my wife! Your definitely half way done just by having a wife who will at least experiment with this stuff :D

It can be fun being an old geezer. My kids think I'm nuts until they sit and listen.

Gordon

adanny,

I've also been struggling with the issue of acoustic treatments. I've bought several from both the companies being discussed and have returned most of the stuff. Honestly, it didn't make the noticeable difference I was expecting, and the look is well, less than satisfactory in my living room.

So I've done a lot of research over the months and found out some new and interesting things. I am now in my second phase of acoustic treatments, with a whole different approach. I don't have a lot of conclusions yet, but wanted to give you some ideas for your own quest.

First, I discovered a really innovative item called an electronic bass trap. Much like a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones, this device is an active speaker which allows you to lessen, if not eliminate room modes. I've used it and measured it with my XTZ analyzer and sure enough, when on, my primary 43hz room mode is gone! This is not a device for the faint at heart. It comes with virtually no instructions and required many iterative cycles to approximate optimal damping of modes. Uniquely, it can address 2 different room modes, if they are not spaced too close together. Although you will need good equipment to test and calibrate the device, a very simple method to get started is to use a tone generator to excite your room mode. Then dial up the device to reduce the room mode. Note that this device is only used for room modes, not for much of the standard broad-based trapping discussed in this thread. Here is a link to the product and another to where you can get it:

http://www.bagend.com/bagend/e-trap.htm
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/317345.html

Second, in my quest to find ways to add acoustic treatment to my living room with the end effect of "heard but not seen" I came across this very interesting thread, below which certainly got me thinking. Now a custom approach as shown is not cheap, but neither is buying self-standing commercial traps. Many on this formum have spent 1000's if not 10,000's. I'm currently looking to see what I can do along the lines of what is shown and described, particular to my situation.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14260553#post14260553

Just some other options...

ANDREW

Last edited:
DC-Audiophile,

I found the thread regarding the "cloud" very helpful. I am also looking for room treatments that are "heard but not seen." Although I am not currently back in the US, I hope to be very soon. I will be in the Columbia, MD area and would be interested to know if you come accross a company that can provide something similar to that of the "cloud."

Thx.

bkrakim,

I'll be sure to put any general updates on this thread and will hopefully find local people who can do this type of work which I can share with you. Not only was the "cloud" done first rate, did you see the gabardine fabric covering the in-wall rigid fiberglass panels? First rate!

First, I discovered a really innovative item called an electronic bass trap. ...

those are really, really tricky to set up.

And if you are willing to have yet another sub in the room, then follow the Harman guides and place multiple subs in the locations they suggest.

One of the best ways to get even bass in a rectangular room is to use four subs placed along the mid-points of each wall.

But one still needs to add absorption to the room, and some EQ in the bass is also recommend.

The "Cloud" and the hidden traps looked like a first rate job! Much more preferable to the slabs. I'm not a measurement guy like Jonathan and Andrew but I wonder if the guy who had the cloud installed did any before and after to validate the effort/expense? At least with slabs, one can send them back if they are not working as desired.

Gordon

...I wonder if the guy who had the cloud installed did any before and after to validate the effort/expense?
Gordon, Tim (hifisponge) is very knowledgeable about REW, RC and such, and a hell of a nice guy, to boot. If you shoot him a PM over @ AVS, I'd be surprised if he didn't respond.

bkrakim,

I'll be sure to put any general updates on this thread and will hopefully find local people who can do this type of work which I can share with you. Not only was the "cloud" done first rate, did you see the gabardine fabric covering the in-wall rigid fiberglass panels? First rate!

Thanks! I sure did...what a job, the craftsmanship first rate indeed!

One of the best ways to get even bass in a rectangular room is to use four subs placed along the mid-points of each wall.

But one still needs to add absorption to the room, and some EQ in the bass is also recommend.

Agreed. I have seen studies that show that this is the best way to get even bass response in a rectangular room. Adding more subs than this or using different setups did little or nothing to improve on the response achieved by this setup.

Agreed. I have seen studies that show that this is the best way to get even bass response in a rectangular room. Adding more subs than this or using different setups did little or nothing to improve on the response achieved by this setup.

Agree with this setiment but my challenge is that I have a 39 x 22 room (in the new house) in which I cant use the long wall. The HT area is 22 x 22 with an open interface to the other half of the room. So facing the speakers, sounds waves will bounce of the right wall but there is no left wall to bounce off for another ~20 feet when they reach the end of the room. And if I place 4 sub woofers in the middle of each wall, they will be imbalanced since I am only using the right side of the room. I could place 4 subwoofers but one will be in the middle of the room (i.e. the one on the left side) .

Back