Depth i vs Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigcl

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a Descent or Depth i for roughly the same cost...I've searched around and don't immediately see if the Descent vs Descent i is a huge change so it's difficult to know if I am better off with a Depth i or an older Descent... This is for a HT setup

Hello,
The upgrade to Descent i from Descent was a huge one. The original Descent had one 400 watt RMS amplifier. The Descent i uses three 250 watt RMS amplifiers. The "i" upgrade also included refinements to the servo circuit and cosmetic changes, but the major change is the amplification.

With the Depth, the differences between Depth and Depth i are not nearly as pronounced. The Depth uses a 300 watt RMS amplifier while the "i" model goes up to 350 watts RMS. This is in addition to the cosmetic changes and servo refinements.

By virtue of the Descent using three 10" woofers versus the Depth's three 8" woofers and the Descent having a 30% larger cabinet, the Descent should most definitely play louder. I would audition both if possible and decide which works best for you.
Cheers,
ML

I have the opportunity to get a Descent or Depth i for roughly the same cost...I've searched around and don't immediately see if the Descent vs Descent i is a huge change so it's difficult to know if I am better off with a Depth i or an older Descent... This is for a HT setup

I'm struggling a bit with this question also. The Descent (v1) manual shows a 300w RMS with 500w peak, while the Depth i shows 350w RMS...and 900w peak. The larger cones on the Descent, and larger cabinet appeal to me though.

Both seem to be available on the used market for about the same price. I'd love to pick up a good used Descent i, but these are offered for about $400-$600 more than I feel like paying for a subwoofer in consideration of general economic conditions.

For now, I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along.

Hello,
I usually do not pay much attention to peak power ratings and focus my attention on RMS ratings as many others I know do.
Cheers,
ML

Thanks Mark. I'm learning as I go. Still, the Depth i is rated higher RMS than the original Descent.

I suspect I'd probably be very happy either way.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks Mark. I'm learning as I go. Still, the Depth i is rated higher RMS than the original Descent.

I suspect I'd probably be very happy either way.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Based on http://www.martinlogan.com/products/depthi and http://www.martinlogan.com/products/descent, the Depthi appears to have a power rating of 350W with a frequency response of 20-120 Hz and the Descent a power rating of 400W and a response of 18-150 Hz...so based purely on specs it would appear the Descent performs better, but that's just the specs.

Based on http://www.martinlogan.com/products/depthi and http://www.martinlogan.com/products/descent, the Depthi appears to have a power rating of 350W with a frequency response of 20-120 Hz and the Descent a power rating of 400W and a response of 18-150 Hz...so based purely on specs it would appear the Descent performs better, but that's just the specs.

You are correct. I made a mistake and quoted the specs. from the wrong product brochure. I think I accidentally pulled up the original Depth manual when I intended to get the original Descent manual.

Thanks for catching this. I was just coming here to confess my incompetence. :D

I have demoed the depth i which I must say was very good but it developed a nasty hum, not sure why but it was the demo they had so it may have had a hard life, so it went back to the shop. In the interim the distributor for ML loaned me a descent i the difference in sound is quite substantial and I must personally say that I have enjoyed the descent i over the depth i for both music and movies. If I had to go back to the depth i I personally would not be too happy :(

Some say the depth is a faster sub with the smaller 8 inch drivers vs the 10 inch of the descent. Is there any truth to that? Could someone who has heard both models comment on this.
Thanks, Greg

Hello,
Moon, I do believe some have found that to be the case. A number of CLX setups have used dual Depth i's as opposed to dual Descent i's. With a speaker that expensive, I doubt price was a factor.
Cheers,
ML

I have the Descent and seriously considered trading up to the Descent i because my dealer had a program for it.

Anyway, after having the Descent for some time and then auditioning the Descent i, I did not notice much improvement. I am sure that is capable of much higher SPL, but for me, I cannot come close to maxing the volume knob on the standard Descent.

Also, and I think most important, the Descent i actually has a higher distortion factor than the standard Descent. Good luck with the choice.

For the record, the Depth i is not in the same league as the Descent or Descnet i. Not even close.

Dominick

I have the Descent and seriously considered trading up to the Descent i because my dealer had a program for it.

Anyway, after having the Descent for some time and then auditioning the Descent i, I did not notice much improvement. I am sure that is capable of much higher SPL, but for me, I cannot come close to maxing the volume knob on the standard Descent.

Also, and I think most important, the Descent i actually has a higher distortion factor than the standard Descent. Good luck with the choice.

For the record, the Depth i is not in the same league as the Descent or Descnet i. Not even close.

Dominick
Maybe so for movies and overall slam, but I feel the depth i is much quicker, more accurate and musical. And what about doing two depth i's vs. one descent i? I'm a dealer, have heard both and prefer the depth i unless you have a large room or just want quantity over quality of bass

Last edited:
I have 2 Descent i subs - one in front and one in back. I have a lot of cubic feet of air to move.

Set up and calibrated correctly, I find them accurate, fast and not at all boomy. Anything less would not have woriked well in the room.

Chris

Dominick

Hello,
I disagree about the idea that the Descent and Depth are not even close in performance. Especially with the non "i" models, the difference was 10" over 8" drivers, 100 watt more powerful amplifier, and a 30% larger cabinet. All technology was shared between the 2 units.

The Descent i was a major upgrade. Going from one 400 watt amplifier to three 250 watt amplifiers was a major upgrade. It was almost the doubling of amplifier power. Distortion questions or not.
Cheers,
ML

Hello,
I disagree about the idea that the Descent and Depth are not even close in performance. Especially with the non "i" models, the difference was 10" over 8" drivers, 100 watt more powerful amplifier, and a 30% larger cabinet. All technology was shared between the 2 units.

The Descent i was a major upgrade. Going from one 400 watt amplifier to three 250 watt amplifiers was a major upgrade. It was almost the doubling of amplifier power. Distortion questions or not.
Cheers,
ML
Mark,

thanks for the response and intelligent disagreement. Points taken. For me, I throw out the argument that the depth is faster, more accurate, etc....I do this because of the servo motor. A motor is controlling the accuracy of frequency production, not the control of a magnet. While a smaller mass speaker will always be easier to control, I think we are splitting hairs when talking about which one is faster.

As far as the amplification, I am sure that the additional power will help with slam, etc....but I would be interested to find out where standard Descent owners traditionally keep the colume knob. I leave mine at 5 and occasionally bump it up just for kicks. I guess personally, I wouldnt benefit from the additional power which is why I walked away from it. I am sure that the distortion is negligable in the long run as well, but what are we gaining if we have the Descent i with a volume knob at 3? For me, only a higher distortion factor, no matter how small.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts. I dont think we really disagree, but rather, approach the question differently.

Dominick

Mark,

thanks for the response and intelligent disagreement. Points taken. For me, I throw out the argument that the depth is faster, more accurate, etc....I do this because of the servo motor. A motor is controlling the accuracy of frequency production, not the control of a magnet. While a smaller mass speaker will always be easier to control, I think we are splitting hairs when talking about which one is faster.

As far as the amplification, I am sure that the additional power will help with slam, etc....but I would be interested to find out where standard Descent owners traditionally keep the colume knob. I leave mine at 5 and occasionally bump it up just for kicks. I guess personally, I wouldnt benefit from the additional power which is why I walked away from it. I am sure that the distortion is negligable in the long run as well, but what are we gaining if we have the Descent i with a volume knob at 3? For me, only a higher distortion factor, no matter how small.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts. I dont think we really disagree, but rather, approach the question differently.

Dominick

Can I ask how large your listening area is? I've got about 2300 cubic feet to fill...and I've no desire to get two subs.

Hello,
All I can say is I went from a Paradigm Servo 15 to a single Depth and the results have been shocking. When I first looked at the Subwoofer, it was so small I thought I made a huge mistake. However, it is absolutely shocking how clean and powerful the Depth truly is.
Here is a Review from Stereophile of the Depth:http://www.stereophile.com/subwoofers/804ml/
Here is a test performed by a British Website: http://www.avtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15239

If your room is large, the Descent well might be the better call, but the Depth truly is a special Subwoofer.
Cheers,
ML

Back