Just ordered my CLX's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMAUSGP, I did indeed try the DSOTM 5.1 and yes it was a big "I never heard that before" experience. Certainly it leads to me to describe the overall character of the CLX's as truly "revealing".

When you listen to these speakers you are not auditioning the CLX's, rather you are auditioning your own ears ......:music:

Having said that the DSOTM SACD 5.1 is a a bit of a naked 5 channel assault and I still prefer my UK vinyl 1st pressing for wall to wall emotive sound - at times I thought there were side channel speakers in the room, the CLX's seem to have a soundstage that is more like an arc than a typical side to side back to front experience.

Steve

You might try Beatles Love in DVD Audio. With the 5.1 mix and the CLXs singing, it is quite the immersive experience.

Besides, you gotta play a couple things in 5.1 surround sound for Bernard when he comes over.:)

Quadrophonic, Quindrophonic, Septophronic, whatever it takes.:D

So you can be surrounded by everything but sextrophonic ? :rolleyes:

Steve, sorry to hijack your thread.

Sextrophonic is what Tiger Woods has in his Home Theater, I can't afford one of those.....heck I can't afford 20 of those and I guess neither can he.:D

OK you multidimensional guys ..... getting back on track here:)

So, at the risk of total disclosure ruining my resale opportunities, it was clear to me and my audio friend / dealer, Brian; the Plinius has won the shoot out for best amp with the CLX's. That's not to say the the Spectron's aren't great, but the Plinius ending up just having more grip, more texture, better drive and a more refined staging in class A. In class B mode , the Plinius amps won by actually being a bit smoother but equally dynamic. But once the Plinius hit class A mode, that extra emotion came to the fore. My conclusion is not that one amp is better than the other, but synergy wise, one amp has the edge in that combination. Of course the Spectrons are less power hungry, less real estate, less heat and probably more reliable in the long run.

Back