center channel/avr power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeb

Reaction score
Hi, I just picked up a new center channel for my system, ML Cinema. Fronts are ML Summit, rears are old (but good) Vandersteen 2ci's. I don't have a sub, figure I really don't need one since the Summits are tasty. My AVR processor is a Harmon Kardon unit. I am using that to power my center and rears. The fronts are powered by Pass Labs x250 amp and X-1 Pre-amp. Just wondering if my little HK AVR (85 watt) is enough for the center. My fronts go from the AVR pre-outs to the Pass pre-amp. Don't get me wrong, it sounds GOOD, just wondering if it can get any better.
joeb

I think others on the forum will back me on this. You have definitely reached the pinnacle. It does not get any better......okay if you spend a little more money and time it may get a little better.......okay maybe a lot better.

And then you can spend a lot of time and money and it will get a quite a bit better. You can even spend 6 figures but there will always be something better out there.:devil:

So the question is, at what price? You may have to forgo your other hobbies, family, friends and career, but then the question is, is it worth it?

And that as they say is where the rub is.

Seriously, you sound to me like you have the beginnings of upgradeitis and there really is no real cure for that. The Matinee is a good first step but you might want to set your sights on a used Stage so that you are matched up across the front with Xstats. But that is probably another discussion.

As for the AVR driving the center and rears, you may want to consider a separate multi-channel power amp depending on your overall goals. I have two separate HTs with MLs all around in a 7.1 and a 7.2 configuration. I also have a 5.1 music only ML system. The two HTs have Sony 5300 AVRs being used as pre-amps and Sunfire TGA7400s providing power to the system. The 5.1 music only has a Simaudio Moon Titan power amp and a McCormack MAP-1 (custom built) to run my 5.1 music only system. It all depends on what your goals are.

To answer your question in a word yes, running all your channels from a single or even multiple power amps of the same design and manufacturer will give you a better sonic experience. But getting all your speakers matched up will do that too.

And I know you said you didn't think you needed a Sub but getting a really good Sub that matches up, like a ML, JL or SVS will really open your eyes, ears, and even your butt or gut, on certain source material.

So I guess you can say that you have taken those first baby steps, but if you want to improve your sound, I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve. How you reproduce Multi-channel SACD and DVDa music, movie sound tracks, or whatever blows your skirt up, will always sound better as you improve each of the parts in to a cohesive whole.

I think you can find the answer here at MLOC, just pick a subject and use the search, and then read on. Or you can go to Tone Audio and read through the archive issues and find all kinds of valuable information that can remove any doubt as to whether it gets better than this. But beware, it may cost ya.:D

FWIW, I've plugged my Cinema into my yamaha receiver running 110? watts and it was a joke compared to the normal Rotel amp that it is normally plugged into. The Rotel is 120 per channel at 8ohms.

the Cinema is a giant pig and needs tons of power to even come close to those summits. can you get rid of that thing and get yourself a more modern center to match those summits?not trying to knock the Cinema but it hardly stands up to the rest of your stuff. BTW is it an i or the original?

I'm running Summits with a non i version Cinema and they are a great match. Powering the Cinema with a Pass Labs X5 and it's got plenty of power.

Shizzel Cinema-izzel, is that sizzle of bacon I hear or just a fish fry.....sorry sometimes things just pop out and I look at it and say, 'Did I just say that?' or 'Was I just thinking it?'

Sorry, I will go to the back of the line now.

I'm running Summits with a non i version Cinema and they are a great match. Powering the Cinema with a Pass Labs X5 and it's got plenty of power.

maybe it's just me but I could never get that speaker to perform properly.

Hello,
When I had a Cinema, I used a bridged Parasound HCA-1000a (500w) to drive it. I really think your issue is lack of power driving the Cinema. I really enjoyed my Cinema, but never used an AVR to drive it and Tom certainly is pleased when using his Pass Labs.
Cheers,
ML

I still think it says a lot a about the build and design of a speaker especially a small one when you have to use a sledge hammer to drive it.

Last edited:
well, ok, it always seems to come down to an "upgrade". I wish there was a way I could power it with my Pass 250, but I'd have to by-pass the AVR, so I wouldn't even be getting the right surround mix on movies unless there is a way to do a pass through on the x-1 pre-amp and not blow up the system??

Latest posts

Back