Need some information on the Preface speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40yearfan

Reaction score
There is a niche in the back wall of the family room where I have my A/V equipment. It is 32" deep by 84" wide by 52" high. At the present time, I have my TV setting on a table with a pair of Polk R50 speakers on the sides of the TV. I would like to replace these Polk's with the ML Preface speakers.

I notice in the OM for the Preface that it states the speakers should be at least 2 feet from any side wall. The front of the speakers will actually stick out a couple of inches from the niche, but the speaker itself will be in the niche. Do you think that will be a problem?

Because the speakers are 17" deep at the bottom, they won't be 2 feet from the back wall at the largest part, but will be more than 2 feet away at the top part. Is this sufficient?

I also won't be able to move the speakers further apart or closer together. At least not if I plan on making it through my 38th year of marriage.:D

i dont know. sounds cramped for any speaker. i think as long as the fronts break the plane of the wall they will be fine, but the bass port is in the back which might make the niche a big boom box. i would say there is only one way to know. can you return them if they dont work for you?

i dont know. sounds cramped for any speaker. i think as long as the fronts break the plane of the wall they will be fine, but the bass port is in the back which might make the niche a big boom box. i would say there is only one way to know. can you return them if they dont work for you?

I'm getting them from Best Buy and not sure if that is an option, but probably wouldn't do that anyway. That's why I would like to be confident I can get the sound I heard in the Demo room before I take the plunge.

I sure would like to hear from some more long time ML owners. I was planning on ordering a set tomorrow (no one has them in stock), but I might hold off if I don't think they will work in my area.

I sure would like to hear from some more long time ML owners.

Honestly, the Preface is one of the newer ATF series speakers, and most of the long time ML owners own the ESL series which is an entirely different beast. So I'm not sure how much help we can be. I have never seen or heard the Preface, so can't give you much advice there. But it doesn't sound like your setup will be too bad for this type of speaker. Sounds like you won't get any nasty reflections off the wall from the front of the speakers. The question will be how the cove affects your bass response. You won't know that until you set it up and listen to it. Give the speakers time to break in before you make any critical assessments. Good luck with it.

Thanks Rich. The majority of our listening is TV with some soft, easy listening music on the weekends. It's a 5.1 setup that has a pretty good sound with the Polk R50's I am using now, but I'd like to step it up a notch.

At the risk of losing my man-card, the movie Mama Mia on my blu-ray player will just about match the theater sound. I'm thinking by upgrading the front speakers it will sound even better.

I do believe I will try these out. I'll come back with a report after they have had time to break in.

I am into my fourth week of owning the ML Preface and have to say they are more beautiful at home than in the BB showroom. I have mine placed as recommended in the manual. They are about seven feet aprt and two feet from the wall, maybe a little further and away from side walls. The bass is amazing they will really surprise you. I sit about nine feet or so from them and they are slightly toed in.

If I move mine closer to the front wall the bass starts to lose its dimension and power slightly. So give the setup recommendations a try and go from there. Good luck!

the niche

Those speakers will most likely be ok in your locations. Like said before there may be a booming by locating the one in the niche. Soloution will be to muffle that area. An inexpensive alternative to deadening panels would be to use ca curtain. That's how I am deadening a corner in my setup. Added plus is that the wife can get involved and pick it out, hehehe;)

I am into my fourth week of owning the ML Preface and have to say they are more beautiful at home than in the BB showroom. I have mine placed as recommended in the manual. They are about seven feet aprt and two feet from the wall, maybe a little further and away from side walls. The bass is amazing they will really surprise you. I sit about nine feet or so from them and they are slightly toed in.

If I move mine closer to the front wall the bass starts to lose its dimension and power slightly. So give the setup recommendations a try and go from there. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm supposed to pick them up tomorrow. I can't wait.

Those speakers will most likely be ok in your locations. Like said before there may be a booming by locating the one in the niche. Soloution will be to muffle that area. An inexpensive alternative to deadening panels would be to use ca curtain. That's how I am deadening a corner in my setup. Added plus is that the wife can get involved and pick it out, hehehe;)

Great idea. Thanks.

Back