CLS value

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakham

Reaction score
Hi guys,

There is a local guy selling a set of original CLS speakers with original panels. He is the original owner (well bought 7 months old from a friend).

What are the chances that these things are usable and don't need a panel replacement?

He claims they sound great, and he's selling because of a baby on the way.

Also, are these going to be the "always on" version? Is there a way to upgrade so it doesn't do that?

He's started at ads at $1K, but now he's down to $650. I don't have the serial numbers yet. How much do you guys think these are worth?

Should I even bother?

I was going to spring for a set of Ascent i for much more money, but I always heard such great things about the large panel CLS and was thinking of testing the waters.

Please help.

To many variables , Unless you have the amp to drive them Id be Leary as well as the panel age. New panels are $1500+. They are world class when they are paired with good equipment but are demanding on it and room set up.

CLS are aural bliss when setup correctly. Two major factors to achieve this are room placement and the amplifier(s) driving them. They are very particular to how far from the back and side walls they are placed. Even a couple inched make a difference. They are also a very difficult load to drive. The amplifier(s) must be able to handle a 2 ohm load and have high current capability. I went through four amps before finding one was up to the task and even then upgraded twice more to find one I felt wasn't working to hard and had enough guts to get the most out of my all original CLS's.

if they are the original panels, I would factor in a new set of panels to your purchase budget. You can use this as a bargaining tool. Once you get the serial numbers, you'll know for sure just how old they are, but my guess is they'll need new panels.

Don't worry about the power off feature not being there.. you can put them on a switch and just turn them off when you're not listening to them.

I have a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature amp 405 x 5.

I still owe pictures of my setup :eek:. The room is 15x21 (approx)...and I would have it sitting pretty snug to the right side, and maybe 3 feet away from the left. I can put it about 3 feet away from the back wall. Reason for the off center is there is a door on the front left, and a projection screen in the middle. I have 2 rows of seats and would likely be sitting maybe 7 feet and 11 feet from the speakers.

Will by above equipment and room setup be sufficient or am I asking for trouble?

Latest message from the seller...
"I purchased them in 1989 from a gentlemen in audiomart, and I paid $2000 at the time ,,, Yea that's plenty of room. I used to have them in a room 17 wide x 19 long now the room I have is 10 wide x 20 long. I know you were concerned about the panels having issues after 10 years. If you saw and listen to them you would say that's a myth because there is nothing what so ever wrong with these panels. They play the same way as to when I first got them. No difference in performance. They are silent when they aren't being played and have no buzzing. I took excellent care of them. To be sincere I think what I'm now asking for them is almost giving them away because of the prime condition they are in."

Of course I believe you guys over him......I'd rather not get them if I'm factoring in a $1500 panel swap...at that point I feel they aren't worth anything. Am I wrong?

Unless you have a extremely tight budget. Get them. If necessary, repanel and have the electronics checked about $2k for the best bargain in the planted.;)

You say he is local. Can't you go by for an audition? Hearing for yourself will allow you to make a better informed decision.

Buy Them!

As a CLS2z owner, I can tell you that you will not get even close to that bang-for-the-buch factor even if you need to buy new panels and powersuppply!

You also have an ideal amp for them. I use a Sunfire Signature Series 2 (small chassis) with great success.

Good luck!

You say he is local. Can't you go by for an audition? Hearing for yourself will allow you to make a better informed decision.

Local meaning a little over an hour away. That's the plan though. Well not today with the snowstorm and all.

I don't trust my ears enough yet....also it depends on his setup.

Glad to know the amp is good enough :D.

Budget? I think I'd like to get them and then make a choice. My only concern is I rather not overpay for them and then have to sell them for 1/2 of that in 2 months.

I just did some searching...buzzing is the sign...so these are probably good enough. I assume repaneling and new electronics means bringing up to the CLS2Z level for $2K?

In my opinion I think it's a safe expenditure. The CLS series are fine speakers and considered a classic. It's not likely the value will decrease and as already mentioned you won't find a more refined sound at that price level. I would buy them as is and you have the option of replacing the panels at a later time. However, who knows how long ML will continue to produce replacement panels?

The CLS is not without challenges though to get the most from them. They have a wide footprint and work best when provided with ample space from front and side walls. They are among the more power hungry in terms of amp power but your Sunfire amp can handle that load. They are also more difficult to ship should you decide to sale them later. Most sellers don't want to bother with shipping them but it can done. Because of that, it's a rare opportunity to come across a local seller.

It sounds like you found a great deal as long as you're willing to put a little effort into giving these speakers the care that they need.

I have a pair of CLS2Zs that have original panels and I think they sound fine. I thought about repaneling them but having done so with my Sequel IIs that had original panels and finding only a slight improvement I decided against it. At the price you're talking if you really would like to try these speakers and if the panels are truly still in good shape it sounds like a no brainer.
At the very least you'll have an idea if you like the speakers before you spend the money on new panels. If not I don't think you'll get hurt if you resell.
If you didn't know they just raised the prices of the panels from $900.00 to $1500.00 recently so I wouldn't think they'd be going up again anytime soon.
And Craig is right how often will a oppurtunity like this come up basically in your own back yard.

Last edited:
The question is would you be willing to pay $2200 for them,if they had new panels.If the panels are original they can go bad at any time,so the $1500 is a factor.If you are willing to spend it then that is your answer.

If the $$ is there buy them and worry about all else after

I have a pair of clszii and I love them ,@650 wow that sounds to good to be true !!! what the hell buy them and if you need panels buy them later .Look these speakers are a classic and as for the electronics look on audiogon and ask the broad here on advise they sure helped me .Good luck and buy them !!!! oh and just so you know I run my stuff with tube power and they sound asome..:music:

After all this, I did the measuring...which I think I should have done in the first place....wow it's not easy fitting 28" wide speakers.

They won't fit comfortably in my room..now I know why folks suggest a minimum 20x20 room. The issue is I have a 120" diagonal screen in a 15 foot room with a door as well. Ugh...

I had myself worked up to buy them..honestly :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im E orange NJ now and 1 hr away and will be heading back to MI and have a BIG truck. Ill be here a few days so If any one is interested I may be able pick up and deliver on my way home

HMmm 2 sets of CLS . How would that go over with the wife!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
man i would love too....i really want a set and that is one hell of a price. after reading this thread i started combing CL here in denver!

After all this, I did the measuring...which I think I should have done in the first place....wow it's not easy fitting 28" wide speakers.

They won't fit comfortably in my room..now I know why folks suggest a minimum 20x20 room. The issue is I have a 120" diagonal screen in a 15 foot room with a door as well. Ugh...

I had myself worked up to buy them..honestly :(.

What happened to the link to the ad?

Yeah...just realized I'm not supposed to post forsale stuff. Is it okay if I just post how to find it?

Okay...for anybody interested....use:
http://www.craiglook.com

And search for Martin Logan CLS.

You'll actually find 2 of them...there is another guy selling a pair of CLS2 for $1K in the area. That's a new one.

Back