Adjustable Bases ML Source?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinJ

Reaction score
I have the Source SE, which does not come with the adjustable base. The adjustable base allows you to have a rake of 0-13 degrees. The base is included with the Source speakers but not with the SE model.

Could I get much improvement in the sound from purchasing the adjustable bases? Here is a link to the base details
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/source#base

Justin

I have the Source SE, which does not come with the adjustable base. The adjustable base allows you to have a rake of 0-13 degrees. The base is included with the Source speakers but not with the SE model.

Could I get much improvement in the sound from purchasing the adjustable bases? Here is a link to the base details
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/source#base

Justin

Hola Justin...with the aid of your speaker's spikes, you can adjust the panel inclination, to your own taste. It depends of your liking. Try to adjust these spikes at front first, to obtain the right high frequency dispersion to your seating position. I hope this can help, happy listening,
Roberto.

Hola Roberto,

Thanks for the info on the spikes.

I think that I will try the speaker spikes first to see what I accomplish before spending more money on bases. I am still trying to perfect the placement of the speakers right now and was going to wait on the spikes but now will have to try them out.

Justin

Hola Roberto,

Thanks for the info on the spikes.

I think that I will try the speaker spikes first to see what I accomplish before spending more money on bases. I am still trying to perfect the placement of the speakers right now and was going to wait on the spikes but now will have to try them out.

Justin

Just remember to have at least one meter away from their's back wall. Use the flashlight trick, it is in your owners manual, to have the one third of the inner part of the panel facing your seat position. This is the very first point to start. Trust your ears, use masking tape at the floor to mark the position that you like, and a easy way to go back to it again, until satisfied position is found. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I helped a friend set up his Sources and I must say that I do not get the changeable base. You're better off with adjustable spikes.

A simply way to adjust the rake is to use a pair of door stops. Swing by any Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a couple pairs or large and small.

Just use them like a ramp and adjust the rake accordingly. If you find the rake is something you like, then adjust your spikes accordingly to match the angle of the door stop.:D

I like the idea of the door stops and Tom thinks for the information on the changeable base. It looks like the adjustable base gives you the option to move the speaker higher for listening while standing. I feel like a kid again listening to my stereo.

My wife thinks that I am crazy messing with the setup of the speakers but I am definitely gaining improvements and learning by experimenting. Now, if she would just let me move the armoire out of the corner.

Back