SL3 Crossover function

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgsharr

Reaction score
I purchased a used set of ML SL3's and found that the crossover's had been reworked (not well done). I know the crossover point is 250hz. does this crossover allow full signal to the 10" driver and 250hz and up to the ESL or is it suppose to limit the signal to the woofer as well? After looking at the wiring modifications done to the crossover I have been considering going to a Marchand 2way active and Bi-amping with 2 Bryston 3B-st, does anyone know where I would tie into the ESL with the High frequency amplifier? Any info or thoughts appreciated!!:confused:

Can you take a pic of the reworked XO (and also draw a diagram)? Do you have two pairs of binding posts?

The bass XO does filter out the highs from the bass driver with an inductor in series and a electrolytic cap in parallel with the driver. But it's not a textbook 12db/oct passive XO, so using a typical active XO will make the FR different around the XO frequency (250Hz).

On my own SL3's I'm getting ready to try a cheapie active XO set at 250Hz and bypassing the passive bass XO, but leaving the ESL XO alone (so active XO on the bass and passive unchanged XO on ESL). I've been hesitant to play with active XO on the ESL because I don't know how it will interact with the passive notch in the current XO (plus I'm more concerned with getting rid of the inductor in the bass than the cap before the ESL).

Last edited:
Yep, the SL3 XO is two independent sets as Tosh indicates.

Bypassing the XO on the bass driver is a piece of cake and one can then use an active in front of the speaker to do the following:

- Increase the high-pass crossover for the panel to about 350 ~ 400hz
- Set the low-pass crossover to the bass driver (same range)

This allows you to still have the factory EQ and impedance matching benefits of the original ESL XO, while not trying to force the panel to play lower than it really can (see the measurements I took during my center channel project).

It also opens the option to upgrade the woofer of the SL3 to a better unit that can handle playing the 60 to 500hz range cleanly.

With an external XO and gain control, one can go for a pretty wide choice of bass drivers.

That would result in a pretty noticeable upgrade to the speakers capabilities.

Latest posts

Back