Updating the old - Do you want to?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertawillisjr

Reaction score
I have been thinking about what it would take to bring state of the art ML technology to my Quests. You know, better crossover, new Xstats (or whatever they call them), better subwoofer etc. I just can't believe that with the state of the art materials ML uses today, I can't get a huge improvement in sound.

How many of us have older ML speakers that we love both for the sound and for the aesthetics?

Tell the rest of us about your older model and what you want to have (using present ML technology) in order to improve its performance.

I kinda been harping on this thought for a while myself...I realise that it may require some re-engineering and $$ the corporation does not want to incur. I also realise they do not want their old products to compete with their new products. There is a sonic/clarity difference between the mico stator panels used now and the older panels like the Request. ...crossover frequency would likely not have to change as a lot of that is set by panel width but attenuation /transformer/impedence changes and matching may make it too costly...ie: not worth it.

I figure for 1500 bucks I might get the latest and greatest panel tech with the replacement panels for my CLSII's. :think:

I wish I had the shekels to replace my SL3's with something newer as I prefer the aesthetics of the newer stuff.....and it most likely sounds better.

I own a pair of ReQuests which I purchased in October of 1999. I like everything about them. What I would like to be able to purchase is a replacement panel set of the newer technology to retrofit the ReQuests someday. For now they sound fantastic and perform wonderfully. And the asthetics is really hard to beat!

As my own upgrade to them what I would like to do is pass the internal crossover and apply an outboard active crossover with bi-amplification.

Back