Summits in phase or not.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I asked Jim Power about the Summits if they were in phase or not and this was his answer.

Knowing that the answer would be more complicated than a Yes/No, I asked Joe, our engineer who designed it.

Here is his reply:

Hello

The answer is complicated. This answer is for Summit not Summit X (even more complicated)

The panel should show up in-phase on a clicker tester.

The front woofer may show up out-of-phase on a clicker test. However it is in-phase in its pass band. It uses a phase modification circuit to facilitate blending with the panel ESL at the crossover. The circuit may confuse the clicker.

The bottom woofer should show up in-phase on a clicker tester. However its signal may not be loud enough compared to the front woofer to show up correctly.

As for how to set it up with the subs is still basically the same. It is a subjective listening from the listening position. Simply set the phase of the sub at an arbitrary position and listen for a while. Keep switching phase settings and keep listening to familiar music until you are certain that one position more than any other seems the loudest in the bass register. Do the same for the other sub. Most likely it will be the same setting but that entirely depends on the room interaction.

Keep in mind that if you ever reposition either the Summits or the subs, that it will change the relationship with each other and how they are synchronized. In other words, you may need to repeat the process if they move far enough.

Hope this helps.

jp

Jim Power

Service manager

MartinLogan LTD

TEL: 785-856-4733 (Direct Line)

TEL: 785-749-0133 (Main Line)

FAX: 785-749-5320

[email protected]

www.martinlogan.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 10:28 PM
To: Jim Power
Subject: summits

The woofer phase handling is indeed very complicated. The front and bottom powered woofer boards incorporate different phase controls, and are NOT interchangeable, as I discovered in this thread...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9648

I wish I could get a set of Summit X's to place alongside my (older) Summits for listening comparison/XTZ measurements of their room response!

Maybe this would solved with a road trip with your summits to George's house. :devil:
I would be willing to help move them, in the name of science, to determine what the difference in the two models might be.
Probably quite a few people here would be interested also.

I would question the A / B test given the impact of the 25 and 50HZ controls on the mid / lower bass presentation and associated panel integration issues.

Not to say that the "X" isn't a "better" speaker per say but the above settings create, in my mind, a difficult variable to control.

And yes, I'd be very interested in the results of a "well controlled" test.

GG

Last edited:
Maybe this would solved with a road trip with your summits to George's house. :devil:
I would be willing to help move them, in the name of science, to determine what the difference in the two models might be.
Probably quite a few people here would be interested also.

We can do that! :music:

Oh man, I just noticed my post number being 666. Scary....

Back