New Member - need recommendation

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omntch

Reaction score
Just a few quick questions for the ML circle - I am looking to upgrade a mixed group of speakers to all ML. I currently have changed out the sides and rears to Encore and am now ready to change out the front and center. I currently am running a modest Yamaha 663 AVR and do not plan on adding an amp at this time. I also will be using the system for HT and not much for music. The question is: would moving to the Source with Matinee CC not make sense with this AVR unless I purchase an AMP? Or should I move to the highly discounted Preface for the sides? And if so, what center channel would you recommend to mantain a smooth sound stage? I have heard that the AFT design of the Preface would still work well with the Matinee. Or should I consider the Fresco? I am not confident the Encore would be as pleasing for a CC (compared to the Def Tech I have). I know there is a big difference in these designs, but with this AVR, and focused only HT, I am getting confused as to the correct choice for my needs. And, of course, there is the Motion option which is yet to hit the stores here in Baltimore. (I currently have a Def Tech CLR and a pair of vintage BIC formula IV mains.) Thanks - glad to be a part of this group.

Last edited:
And, of course, there is the Motion option which is yet to hit the stores here in Baltimore.

I've got a pair of Motion 4's that I will be demoing starting tonite, I'll be passing along my impressions as I go. Tim (MiTT) has a 5.1 set-up that he's demoing, so stay tuned.....early indications are supposed to be promising !

Oh yeah..............Welcome !

Just a few quick questions for the ML circle - I am looking to upgrade a mixed group of speakers to all ML. I currently have changed out the sides and rears to Encore and am now ready to change out the front and center. I currently am running a modest Yamaha 663 AVR and do not plan on adding an amp at this time. I also will be using the system for HT and not much for music. The question is: would moving to the Source with Matinee CC not make sense with this AVR unless I purchase an AMP? Or should I move to the highly discounted Preface for the sides? And if so, what center channel would you recommend to mantain a smooth sound stage? I have heard that the AFT design of the Preface would still work well with the Matinee. Or should I consider the Fresco? I am not confident the Encore would be as pleasing for a CC (compared to the Def Tech I have). I know there is a big difference in these designs, but with this AVR, and focused only HT, I am getting confused as to the correct choice for my needs. And, of course, there is the Motion option which is yet to hit the stores here in Baltimore. (I currently have a Def Tech CLR and a pair of vintage BIC formula IV mains.) Thanks - glad to be a part of this group.
Yah hey welcome to this forum I just joined myself and in similar decision looking to go from DefTechs BP20s with center too to and all ML system with Source and Matinee ( or all powered ) option. I have Yamaha RXV800 145 W/ch assisted by ADCOM 555II 200 W/ch that drives my BPs. So the bottom of the BPs has blown out on both speakers (15 years ) and I really like the ML sound. One Magnolia store recommended the new Onkyo 5007 9.2 channel and double up extra unused channel power to the MLs. I am trying to get opinion like you on best receiver option... I am also replacing Kef bookshelves for rears in a 5 speaker final config.

Back