Home Theater Suggestion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omntch

Reaction score
Looking for any recommendations -

I am looking to update my speakers that will be mainly used for Home Theater. I currently have: Def Tech sub, BIC Ventura Formual 4 for mains, Def Tech center, Encores side and Encores Rear. I have considered: the Preface for mains and an Encore for center; or Source for mains and Matinee for center. I have not been able to compare these side-by-side (no one has a Matinee) and would like to know whether the price difference ($1500 vs $3500) would be worth it for what I am doing. The current mains (BIC) have an 8" woofer, mid-range, and horn tweeter and were what I would consider Rocker speakers. Any help would be great while the prices on the Preface/Encore are discounted as they are being phased out. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,
The Source and the Preface are completely different designs. The Source is an ESL Hybrid Speaker like Martin Logan's upper range and is what they are famous for.

The Preface uses an ATF Ribbon transducer and while a good Speaker, is not an Electrostatic Speaker and really is in a different class of Speaker as the price attests.

I would purchase the best Center Channel you can possibly afford. If going with the Source, either the Matinee or the Motif.

With the Preface, I cannot remember the matching CC as I am not that familiar with ML's Design Series.
Cheers,
ML

Thanks - have you tried the Matinee with the Preface? I was wondering if the timbre would be a good match between these two. I have read that some are using this combo.

Back