Oppo BD83 vs BD83SE

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
HI Guys,

My Sony DVD player died and am considering the Oppo.

Anyone have any experience with the SE vs the standard version?

Any other recommends on a universal player in the under $500 category?

Thanks for your input.

GG

PS: Will be using only as a DVD player and not for two channel / SACD audio.

Last edited:
Very simple, get the Oppo 83SE if you'll be using analog outs, or the base Oppo 83 if you'll be using digital or HDMI out. I have the latter, feeding into a Benchmark DAC, and have decided the SE upgrade is NOT warranted for the few SACD's I play.

Alternatively, you can always spend mega$$$ for the LexiCON! :D

I'm curious: what's the difference between the BD-83SE and the BD-83SE Nuforce Edition (or are they the same thing)?

Anybody who owns the stock BDP have any criticisms of the unit using the digital out for HT purposes?

GG

I'm feeding HDMI out to a Denon 3808, no complaints whatsoever. Both audio and 1080p video are superb.

Alan,

I have the Denon 2309 so this is the way I will cable it once I get an HDTV. Your input is much appreciated

I think I'm going to buy.

Many thanks.

GG

No criticisn here Gordon....absolute bliss, IMO ! buy and enjoy !

Yeah, a big thumbs up from me too. I've got the standard edition unit and I'm doing all of my decoding at the player feeding analog outputs to an older Denon reciever since it doesn't have either HDMI or the latest codecs. I'm running HDMI up to the display for video. Everything looks and sounds great. I have absolutely no regrets about getting this unit.

A great example of the value of THE CLUB.

Alan, Tim, Dave, thanks for the feedback.

Although I spend substantially more time listening to my two channel than watching movies (or TV for that matter), it's great to hear validation on the reviews from folks I trust.

Oh bye the bye Tim, I'll be buying that MB you briefly rode in at the RMAF.

Gordon

Oh bye the bye Tim, I'll be buying that MB you briefly rode in at the RMAF.

Gordon

Very cool Gordon. I'm coming up on a lease return in May so I've been looking for my next vehicle. I drove the MB GLK and I think it's now in my top 2 or 3. They truely are a unique driving experience.

Very cool Gordon. I'm coming up on a lease return in May so I've been looking for my next vehicle. I drove the MB GLK and I think it's now in my top 2 or 3. They truely are a unique driving experience.

Tim, be sure to check out the Porsche Cayenne, if you're going the SUV route. I had a MB ML320 that I put about 200K miles on from new. Driving a Cayenne was like driving a sports car in comparison, although I think the MB GLK is one fine vehicle, also.

Se

HI Guys,

My Sony DVD player died and am considering the Oppo.

Anyone have any experience with the SE vs the standard version?

Any other recommends on a universal player in the under $500 category?

Thanks for your input.

GG

PS: Will be using only as a DVD player and not for two channel / SACD audio.

Gordon,

I purchased the stock unit and upgraded it to the SE version in December. WELL worth the money for two channel analog. There is a substantial and immediately noticeable difference! Much more open, airy and dynamic. Even experience sounds eminating from the sides now. Never had that before this unit.

Joe M.

Tim, be sure to check out the Porsche Cayenne, if you're going the SUV route. I had a MB ML320 that I put about 200K miles on from new. Driving a Cayenne was like driving a sports car in comparison, although I think the MB GLK is one fine vehicle, also.

Hey Steve, I like the Cayenne a lot, but I really can't justify the $10-$70K differece in price! The GLK is the "Baby Benz". The one I drove had virtually every option and topped out just over $45K.

The Toureg is much less expensive than the Cayenne, but the driving experience is much less, also. But, if you want to save money (and who doesn't?) then the Toureg makes sense.

Back