Guinea Pigs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got them hooked up and used a bit of "The Incredibles" to check that everything was working. I'm burning everything in with a little bit of Alison Krause & Union Station from their concert DVD right now. Maybe tomorrow I can get the Audessey calibration done and settle in to some serious listening and evaluation.

Much more to come...

Good stuff here! Hats off to Martin Logan for utilizing this forum in such a manner. This should be the predecent for all other manufacturers, by which they allow new products to be actually USED by the people who buy and use the stuff.

Someone better get some Metallica flowing through those Motions and give it some gas to see how they stand up. ;)

I am making plans for a modest surround system and these might be on the short list if they can handle Guitar Hero: Metallica sessions at neighbor-hating levels. :)

Last edited:
I have a 1200 foot office that I work in. Two dedicated systems there and one small system in the house as well.

I suspected it was not all in your house although sometimes you give that impression.

Since I'm doing the 2.1 set-up I plan various scenarios including substituting them in place of my Spire's in my main rig
Dave, do let us know what they sound like after break-in, and please feel free to ship your Spires to me :)

What's funny is that the sub has all kinds of graphics all over it saying Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 Subwoofer with logo's and stuff. Anybody driving by could tell what it is. The box with the Motions in it was a plain old white box with no indication of what was inside.

I have my theory... this is a new product which they don't necessarily want others to get their hand on yet... So, they need the signature for these - but not the dynamo... Could be the same with the box.... Interesting thing is - I looked at these and to me - they look similar to the Carver/Sunfire 5.1 speaker system - but with a slightly larger cabinet... Is that a ribbon tweeter in there?

Dave, do let us know what they sound like after break-in, and please feel free to ship your Spires to me :)

Just to let everyone know, Devin Zell has informed us that these speakers have approx 100hrs on them and they are 'pre-production' pieces, whereas inconsistencies will only apply to cosmetics.

Bernard, as far as the Spire's ............ NOT !! ....:D

Any updates yet? twich, do you have the 10s or 12s? I am curious how the 12s sound to be honest. With the AMT and the dipole midrange, dual 6.5" midbass drivers, and for $1500 a pair retail, that is not a bad deal if they deliver. :)

I look forward to both of your impressions.

I'm still formulating my thoughts in detail. I've only had a few hours to spend listening and am hoping to get some real dedicated time this weekend, but here is a little taste.

Overall I am VERY impressed with how cohesive they sound. In previous HT setups I've always had a mix of different speakers, both as far as size and brand, with the exception of the Gallo Neucleus system I have in my Family room where all of the speakers are identical. It may have to do with positioning, but especially across the front of the room, the Motions are a literal seamless whole. Soundstage is much wider than I might expect given that I have them very close to the edges of my monitor (I'll post some final setup pictures later).

Listening to Alison Krause and Union Station on their live DVD the other evening I was impressed with the detail that I was hearing - much more information that what I've heard previously on the same disc running through the Gallo's. I've always liked the Gallo's, but the Motion's, at least in my humble HT setup, are in a different league altogether.

While certainly nowhere near the sound I'm used to from my CLS based 2 channel rig, I am very impressed with the quality of sound I hear with music alone. The other day I was able to spend a few minutes listening to the Reference Records recording "Mephisto & Co." and was very much enjoying the Saint-Saen's "Danse Macbre" cut decoded in HDCD at the Denon 2910 and then fed through the analog outputs. VERY nice sence of ambiance and again, a soundstage MUCH larger than I would have expected from these very diminuative sources.

I haven't participated in another thread pertaining to ML's decision to move production to Canada and China because I've frankly been too busy to articulate my thoughts appropriately, but one point that has come up repeatedly in that thread has been concerns over the potential for declining quality as ML expands into lower priced markets. While I know that the units I have are pre-production units, the method of construction mandates that the cabinets on these units essentially represent production units (they are molded). In talking with Devin Zell at ML he wanted to point out that there could be some cosmetic flaws in the paint and final finishing (none that I have been able to detect), but that otherwise they did indeed represent what the final product would look like and that sonically they would be identical. I'll say this - from a quality perspective they are quite incredible. Frankly, I can't believe that they can manufacture them to this high a level and sell them for what they are projecting. The ONLY way that they can get there is to invest heavily in tooling and have some very good Control Plans in place, because I'll tell you this, they look and feel like no other "Budget" product I've ever encountered. Don't think of Bose here, there is no comparison. Think along the lines of Wilson, JM Labs or Hansen when you are talking about the quality of the cabinetry.

More to come as I get to spend some "alone time" with them this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Listening to Alison Krause and Union Station on their live DVD the other evening I was impressed with the detail that I was hearing - much more information that what I've heard previously on the same disc running through the Gallo's. I've always liked the Gallo's, but the Motion's, at least in my humble HT setup, are in a different league altogether.

I'm really curious to hear these, if only for the obvious Mark & Daniel comparison - is ML's AMT as good as M&Ds? They should have sent me a pair:D

The more information comment seems indicative it is good, though.

Think along the lines of Wilson, JM Labs or Hansen when you are talking about the quality of the cabinetry.

What are the cabs made of, Tim? M&D term their cabs "CA Marble", whatever that is. It really is incredibly inert.

After owning the M&Ds for some time now, I'm completely in love with them. Excellent little speakers, much of it due to the AMT drivers, no question about it.

I'd say they have more in common than less with the M&D. (review in issue 27 of the M&D)

Just hooked up the wireless sub, and it's pretty cool. I got the 10" one for my review, but in my small living room the 8" would be all I'd need if I was buying these.

Again, for $500 a pair, this is a home run.

I'd say they have more in common than less with the M&D. (review in issue 27 of the M&D)

Just hooked up the wireless sub, and it's pretty cool. I got the 10" one for my review, but in my small living room the 8" would be all I'd need if I was buying these.

Again, for $500 a pair, this is a home run.

I really like the idea of a wireless sub can you hear anything strange or is it really nice TonPub? do you think they could use this on the more expensive models ???

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a wireless sub can you hear anything strange or is it really nice TonPub? do you think they could use this on the more expensive models ???

So far it works well. I'll have more time to experiment when this issue is done.

What I really like about the wireless sub, is the freedom in placement it offers. In my living room, the optimum place for the sub would require about a 25 foot pair of interconnects. Now I can hide it in the room much easier. I have to believe this is a big plus for a lot of installations.

I don't know how this would translate to a higher performance sub, how it would affect transient response, etc, but if it could be done it certainly would be nice. Because of the nature of a subwoofer, more placement options always help the process of integrating it into your system.

The matchup with the Motion is fantastic though.

Any updates yet? twich, do you have the 10s or 12s? .

Nope.....pair of 4's with a remote 10" sub............ I just got back from a week up in Maine snowmobiling and with record setting snowfall here in the Philly area I still have some digging out to do, maybve tomorrow I'll finally get to 'play around' with them !

Well....this will have to wait another day.......all my speaker cables have 'spade' connections, which will not work with these speakers......grrrrr ! , connections are of the spring loaded type, recessed to boot !

So, I'll purchase some lamp cord and start again !

You can't use lamp cord, it will cause the upper frequencies to get squished and then the THD.........never mind, I got this confused with another thread, carry on....I believe if you use lamp cord it will defeat the wireless feature, but you can then use the light switch as a remote control.

At least that is what I heard.:D

I personally like the sound of lamp cords even if they roll of the hi freq those hurt my ears anyway but I really prefer the sound of 24 volt cord for wiring up your outside yard lights ;)

Well....this will have to wait another day.......all my speaker cables have 'spade' connections, which will not work with these speakers......grrrrr ! , connections are of the spring loaded type, recessed to boot !

Dave, I take it you're not buying into ML's marketing hype for these speakers. They say:

Hook-ups, Simplified.

Convenient push-style speaker terminals and curved inserts help guide speaker wire effortlessly into place. The rubber end caps on the terminal are also removable for the use of banana plugs instead of bare wire. So simple, you'll actually enjoy hooking up these speakers.

:ROFL:

Back