Guinea Pigs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiTT

Super User
Reaction score
Well, Dave (Twich54) spilled the beans in another thread so I figured I'd start a dedicated thread about it here. A few weeks ago we both got a PM from Tom asking if we would be interested in evaluating some speakers for Martin Logan. Of course we both said yes! Another week or two pass and we get an e-mail from Devin Zell (Director of Marketing at Martin Logan) asking us to verify our shipping addresses and wondering who would like to evaluate a 5.1 setup and who would like to do the same for a 2.1 setup based around the new Motion series speakers and Dynamo subs. Dave's got the 2.1 and right now I've got the .1 of the 5.1. UPS requires a signature from an adult to deliver the system and my wife just happened to be walking the dog when they were here - but get this: they left the Dynamo 1000 subwoofer sitting in plain sight on the front porch, but didn't leave the Motions! Instead there is a note saying they'll attempt delivery again on Monday.

I'm going to set things up in my loft where I've got a modest DVD based setup built around my old Denon 2910 and a Samsung 42" DLP, that way I'll be able to do some direct comparison's between my Family room setup using the new Oppo BDP-63 and a Denon AVR driving 5 Gallo Nucleus Micro's and a big Velodyne sub. The family room also uses a 42" Samsung DLP for video.

This should be a very fun comparison, and of course I'll post photo's as soon as I get everything set up, and impressions once I get things dialed in and have a chance to run both music and movies through their paces.

I can't speak for Dave, but I'm very excited to be a part of this Voice of the Customer research on Martin Logan's part!

Last edited:
Tres' cool! I'm sure you'll give them (us too) an unbiased assessment of their performance! It appears the speaker cabinets are plastic, so I'm curious how that affects resonance/tonality. If they are overachievers for their price point, I think they will further expand the ML market, and (eventually) pull some of those buyers up to the higher end line.

Some people get all the fun, Tim:) I dunno...

If their AMT implementation is as good (or better) than the Mark & Daniel Sapphire's I have, you're in for a treat.

The plastic cabs (Corian) used by the Sapphire's weigh alot and are extremely inert at loud volumes. They are very uncoloured as a result. I wonder if they have done as well with the Motions. I certainly hope so.

My money is on the M&Ds being better than the most equivalent Motion, though, TBH. Simply because I can't see anyone doing better for the money at that cabinet size.

Time will tell...

Yeah, same here Tim, they only left the sub with the signature note attached.

Since I'm doing the 2.1 set-up I plan various scenarios including substituting them in place of my Spire's in my main rig, also my upstairs Jolida 302b setup as well as with the Onkyo in the family room.

As Tim stated....should be fun....stay tuned !!

Very cool! Did ML also give you instructions on evaluating them or did they basically just give you tracking number and said "have at it"?

Excellent guys -- have fun....

I would like to take this time to volunteer my time/effort/ & services to help Martin Logan improve the marketability of the CLX's!!!

Guinea Pigs? Or True Audiophiles? Hmmmm?

I think that's awesome, guys. Enjoy. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Unpacking!

I got the Motion 8 Center Channel, Motion 4 fronts and Motion 2 surrounds along with the SWT-1 wireless subwoofer transmitter yesterday. No time to set them up last night, but I did get them unpacked. They all came in one large box that was very well packaged as you can see. Every speaker came in it's own box and included wall mounting hardware (which I won't use since this is just a trial) and an owners manual. There is a specific form fitting styrofoam piece cradling each side of the speaker and they all came in protective "socks" to keep the finish pristine.

The first thing I have to say is that they are HEAVY. Don't be fooled when you hear that the enclosure is plastic - it may as well have been Granite. I believe the actual material is a Corian type product, which is intended to mimic granite anyway. These things are rigid, inert and as I said, heavy. They feel and look FAR from cheap!

More to come when I get a chance to hook everything up and get them in appropriate positions.

Attachments

• Motion PKG.jpg
    Motion PKG.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 866
  • Motion-01.jpg
    Motion-01.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 862
  • Motion-02.jpg
    Motion-02.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 856
  • Motion-03.jpg
    Motion-03.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 860
That's funny, that's exactly what they did to me!

I went to the door and there was a Dynamo with a tag for the other box!

Just picked mine up this morning. Anxious to see what you guys think.... What I heard at Cedia sounded very impressive.

Just picked mine up this morning. Anxious to see what you guys think.... What I heard at Cedia sounded very impressive.

What's funny is that the sub has all kinds of graphics all over it saying Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 Subwoofer with logo's and stuff. Anybody driving by could tell what it is. The box with the Motions in it was a plain old white box with no indication of what was inside.

Its a tough job, but someone has to do it. Sorry it fell to you guys. Next time just forward on to me. Always glad to help out when I can.

What's funny is that the sub has all kinds of graphics all over it saying Martin Logan Dynamo 1000 Subwoofer with logo's and stuff. Anybody driving by could tell what it is. The box with the Motions in it was a plain old white box with no indication of what was inside.

Maybe because they don't sell the 5 speakers as a set so they don't have a special box for it.

After three hours, sounding a little stiff, but I heard them at Cedia, so I know where they are headed!

Nice combination with my Naim Uniti...

I believe that this is a significant move by ML Corporate to engage a dedicated audience, which supports their products and provides (free of charge) insightful input on the same.

In addition, this outreach gives substantial credibility to THE CLUB and the importance thereof.

This, to the best of my knowledge, is the first time this has occurred.

I, for one, am very proud and humbled by ML's efforts.

Tom, you must be a very proud papa. Without you and, to a lesser degree, the members, this would never have occurred.

GG

so where do you have room for all of this stuff ???

No time to set them up last night, but I did get them unpacked. .

Tim, you're way ahead of me, FWIW, I had to drive to the UPS hub to pick my second box up. The idiot UPS driver ignored my signature form that was left for him.

Shirley and I were down in Philly tonite at the Auto show, man I love that Porsche GT-3 !!! ....anyways just got home....way too many Manhattans @ dinner..............tomorrows another day !!

Back