MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have a point. I moved my preface so many times already that my rug have plenty of holes in them. So I guess I'll do exactly what you did. Flagstone it is. I'll post pix when I can. But like I said it may take me awhile before I start the project.

Thanks, Jim. You're pictures were worth a thousand words!

And by the way, welcome to the group Conrad!!

Gordon

what benefit would i get if i have a dedicated AV processor vs a receiver that has preouts?

what benefit would i get if i have a dedicated AV processor vs a receiver that has preouts?

If you have an AV processor, do you realize you would then need to purchase at least a five channel amplifier for your HT? I'm not certain of your experience level so if that offended you, it was not intended. If your AVR has pre outs, you have the option of adding an amplifier at a later date but is not required up front.

If your new to this and you have an AVR with pre-outs, try listening to the system for awhile with just the AVR and forget about an amp for now. Take some notes while watching a movie or listening to music. Are there things that "seem" to be missing, impact is not there or just general observations.

After awhile, you will know if something needs improvement. Since your AVR has pre-outs, you can then add an amp if you want more slam or dynamics from your system. Which amp? who knows:D That question is like boxers or briefs. But, an amp can bring a new dimension to your listening pleasure.

One advantage I see to a separate pre/amp system is future proofing. Once you decide on an amp you like, it can last a lifetime. The new formats in sound and video always coming out makes a pre obsolete very quickly. If your not into the latest and greatest bell and whistle that may not be of concern. But if you're an early adopter, pres are disposable in a warped way of thinking.

My HT process went like this: AVR>AVR & AMP>PRE & AMP. I've had the same amp for 15 years in my HT but the pre's have come and gone depending on the audio and video formats available and desireable.

Gordon

No offense taken at all Gordon. In fact thank you very much for your input. Im very new to this experience as in less than a month with my new system. So yes im a newbie and need answers as one would explain to a 5 yr old. From what you said I think I will go the same way you went which is avr> avr&amp> pre&amp. I was checking online and the prices of gears some people have in here are so much out of my league. i'll probably stick to midrange stuff or used high end stuff as recommended by people in this site. I was considering getting an amp because i plan on getting encores soon for surrounds. since my mains (preface), center & surrounds (encore) are all 4 ohms, Im thinking an amp would be needed immediately. With just my preface the sound seems lacking. I really cant explain whats lacking but I know something is missing. Maybe later on as i progress i can explain it. This is also another reason why im considering an amp. On the volume side, I noticed that +1 for movies is sufficient and -10 for music CD's is about right. Is the receiver considered strained in this manner? 1 member here mentioned that a descent amp would require $1000 worth of funds. Is that true? Any recommendations? Looking at the emotiva xpa 3, the price seems good for me. However I dont want to sell then buy again in the not so far future if im not satisfied. I would rather save now then get something later on that would last me a long long time just like what you did. Unfortunately I dont know where to go to test out amps since worst buy is the only place i know. I know 1 guy whos into meridian but really not close with him. Still searching for audio places around my area.

jimna no luck on those plinths. the 1st lowes i went to did not have flagstone. will search this PM on another location. did you have yours custom cut or was it premade?

the stone was from a place here in boulder that cuts stone. the concrete was from lowes. i looked at lowes landscaping blocks which could have worked, but i wanted real stone not poured block that looks like stone, so i kept looking. stone is used here as often as concrete for side walks so its easy enough to find.

as for amplification, the recession is the only reason i havent tried an EMO XPA-2 yet, but i will be shortly. my current amp is 150w@4ohm and it does fine on low level listening but i can hear it straining at higher volumes, esspecially on newer releases that are to loud anyway. as gordan pointed out with the 30 day return policy i cant go wrong trying. i have a feeling it might be a hard value to beat until i can spend 3x them money down the road. and before i do i want to change other things first like a tube pre and a good DAC. EMO gear is so hard to get a bead on though, their backers are fanatics whom i dont believe altogether. my hope is that for someone in the slow process of building a hifi its a reasonable stepping stone. do tell if you go down this path.

will surely tell if ever. pls let us know what you think of the xpa-2 if you get it. was not able to go to lowes today but i have a feeling i need to look for a stone place instead. just watched soloist on my system and tried to be as critical as i could be. i could not write anything negative. i was just so hooked to the movie and the music that came out of my preface. i am really satisfied this day. how much did 1 slab of flagstone cost you Jim? whats the dimensions?

Jojo, is your AVR getting very hot during movies or extended music playing? If so, you may be overtaxing it. Are you using two sources? What I mean is, are you using a CD player for music and a DVD/BR for movies? That may be why your are seeing a difference in volume setting. If not, more than likely the Cd's are mixed louder than the movies.

I've lurked at the EMO site because I may be interested in the UMC1 once they get it all sorted out. I think the 30 day trial can be used to advantage if the amp selected can support a 4 Ohm load. A three channel for the fronts and center and allowing the AVR to power your surrounds could be a start. Or a 2 channel for the mains and allow the AVR to power the center and surrounds. Either of these options would take a huge load off your AVR. Don't forget to add in the additional cost of two or three RCA cables to connect the amp to the AVR.

I'm a little suspect of all the glowing praise at the EMO site, but I can understand it. Seems many there have an EMO as a first amp and the improvement over an AVR can be accepted and believed. I've heard an EMO XPA5 and as an HT piece I thought it fine but music was not to my liking.

The amp in my HT is a B&K 7250. 200 watts into 5 channels and I've been very pleased with it for a long time. I mention it as a possible alternative as there are many more you could try.

Gordon

jojo, did you see the McIntosh 252 or 402 for sale here? I'm biased, so take my recommendation lightly:D

Gordon

Thanks!

Gordon thanks for the welcome! Jimna really appreciated the thread on room treatments. Learning a lot reading the threads!

Update on project: Demo done on basement. All equipment and HT supplies are in. Should be able to start wiring soon.

Thanks to the club feel like I have learned enough to have a pretty good set up with the $'s I had to spend and some great things to think about for upgrades as I go along.

Dogs are really getting to know the UPS man! Will post pictures once we are done.

Jim what wires do you run? does it really matter anyhow? Been eyeing those flat white wires for surrounds just coz of aesthetics. Any reason I shouldnt get em? Im still looking for those flagstones

was wondering if any1 had any experience with audio advisor inc located at grand rapids mi. im done with worst buy and am looking for a reputable cheap place to buy ML's aside from audiogon. thanks

was wondering if any1 had any experience with audio advisor inc located at grand rapids mi. im done with worst buy and am looking for a reputable cheap place to buy ML's aside from audiogon. thanks

jojo, start a new thread. Nobody will bite! Your question is going to be lost in this area. IF your talking about THE Audio Advisor, buy with confidence!

Gordon

Very reputable company, easy to deal with. I've purchased quite a few cables from them, never ever had any issues with any orders.

your right gordon. was just too lazy i guess. will heed your advice. thanks for your reply too kruppy. both your say regarding audio advisor inc is enough for me.

Back