MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conrad1

Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for letting me join! How did I get here? Heard a friends ML's in a home theater set up and got hooked. Converting from a kid's hang out to theater/listening area, now that we have them through school. Worried about not making mistakes before I place my order to "officially join the ML club."

Interested in thoughts/questions so I don't screw up. Room is 27'x21' (basement). Shooting for 7.1 system. Want to keep spend under $5,000 (speakers, receiver)....want to stay married. From what I have read, here is what I think I need to do, but as mentioned really interested in your thoughts. Source SE's for Fronts. Encore TF's for mid's/rears and maybe center??:bowdown. Either Dynamo 500 or Abyss for sub?? and Marantz SR7002 for receiver.

Sounds pretty good, the only change I would make to that setup would be to look into a panel speaker for your center. I think it is importmant to have the same type of speaker across the front end. Many people end up buying one of the ATF speakers first and moving to a matinee, motif, etc in the long run.

Last edited:
Conrad, Welcome !

You also may want to consider the new 'Motion' line from M/L

Tim (MiTT) and I will be demoing both a 5.1 and 2.1 setups over the coming weeks and good things are expected !

we will be sure to keep everyone posted !!!

hi

welcome fellow newbie. so you from cincinnati. will be there this yr to watch the masters tennis tourney. Will also be waiting for that "motion" review.

twich54 thanks for the welcome. great looking system!!
jimna what a room....made many notes to help with the Mrs. from your experiences. First thing I did on Sunday after seeing your system was to show my wife. The second thing was to read as many of the threads I could to get smarter on room treatments.
jojomtn welcome back at you. tennis tourney is top rate. cool thing is to stay at the marriott fields ertel and rub elbows with the pro's.

thanks Churchill! I am tempted to wake the Mrs. up to see your room!!! Very nice...a Dark Side of Moon focus chamber.

twich54 thanks for the welcome. great looking system!!
jimna what a room....made many notes to help with the Mrs. from your experiences. First thing I did on Sunday after seeing your system was to show my wife. The second thing was to read as many of the threads I could to get smarter on room treatments.
jojomtn welcome back at you. tennis tourney is top rate. cool thing is to stay at the marriott fields ertel and rub elbows with the pro's.

marriot sounds expensive. I'll check out their website. federer whoop murrays behind at the australian ay. too bad nadal have injuries. jimna do those plinths really make a difference? would like to try making em if theyre not expensive to make

yes they do. i found them most beneficial to lift the speaker as i found them lacking something on the floor, and giving them a solid base to tie into helped tighten the low end. they were quite inexpensive, cheap concrete from Lowes and 2 pieces of cut stone that ran me $8 each. i made the wood covers for the concrete bases out of spare wood i had here. very cheap indeed.

here is a thread on about as low budget room treatments as possible: http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=10071

Last edited:
Very educational. I dont have the time to do home treatments as of yet. But I am very interested in making those plinths soon. May I formally ask your permission to copy your design.

sure man, my design is from the help and insight of others wiser than i, glad to pay their help forward. only thing i ask is pics when your done!

also be sure to read jonathans threads on room treatment and correction, they are very insightful and highly recommended.

yes they do. i found them most beneficial to lift the speaker as i found them lacking something on the floor, and giving them a solid base to tie into helped tighten the low end. they were quite inexpensive, cheap concrete from Lowes and 2 pieces of cut stone that ran me $8 each. i made the wood covers for the concrete bases out of spare wood i had here. very cheap indeed.

here is a thread on about as low budget room treatments as possible: http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=10071

Jim, could you go into a bit of detail on these plinths? I'm having a hard time grasping what or how you built them.

Gordon

sure gordan. we all know of the use of stone under a spiked speaker to both isolate it from outside vibration and give it a solid base to bond to helping the low end have a cleaner response, although the most common used stone is granite or marble. all the plinths are is that stone surface with a mass loaded base giving me the second purpose, lift. i used 2 standard sized concrete blocks(8"x16"x8") as the base with a 1/8" rubber dampner between the base and topper. if i didnt want the lift the topper would have been fine by itself.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

and with the wood sides i made to hide the ugle concrete
IMG_03-1.jpg

* i will say to anyone looking to do this themselves, before you by materials try different levels of height for yourself. i have mine at 11" off the ground, but can see anywhere between 7"-12" being fine depending on your application. i had actually bought 4" concrete blocks from Lowes as well, but after a great deal of scrutiny i decided the lift w/ the 8" bases gave me a better presantation. but in the end, trust your ears.

Thanks jimna. Will post pix when im done. However it may take me a long time before I start coz im very busy. You mentioned a 1/8 rubber dampener. Exactly what kind of rubber are you using coz I dont see any pix of it? does the kind of stone I use really matter? and will the sound also improve if i place them under my sub?

i found rubber sheeting in the tool section at sears, i believe its to line the bottom of tool box drawers, but i also found almost the same stuff in the kitchen section for lining cabinet shelves. all that matters is that something isolates the 2 so the stone and the concrete dont create chatter from vibration.

i also investigated the type of stone and got no real answer, just preferences. some claimed granite had the least chatter, but had no proof, while others stated a bunch of various stone choices with good results. i would think a rough surface would be better to allow the spikes to bond to than a polished surface like marble where they would slide easier, but again that just my opinion with no real proof either way.

what particular stone do you have in the pix? also would like to share that i read somewhere that they drilled small shallow holes in their plinths to create a recess where their spikes can rest to reduce slippage. the technique he used to know exactly where to drill was by placing electrical tape on the approximate place where his spikes would lay on the topper, then placing the speakers on top of it to force an indentation on the tape. Hence, the exact drilling site. just thought i could contribute something practical.

i used flagstone. my only fear in drilling holes is once you do you stuck with them in that position. ive moved mine about 1000 times so the holes would have been misplaced long ago. i like the flexibility of having the whole surface to move them a bit.

be sure to post pics when your done!

Back