Martin Logan Scenario's failure

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorgitox

Reaction score
Hello everybody as this is my very first post in the forum.

Well, the thing is that one of my speakers began a time ago to make some annoying noise from the panel. It sounded like electric failure or similar, but sometimes it stopped noising, but sometimes not. Last times, the noise kept sounding from the start to an end, but one day the speaker just didn't switch on again. As long as I know, this is a more or less common failure, but I don't know if the failure has anything to do with fuses, internal speaker's AC adapter or not.

Any information will be very welcome!

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Jgtx.

trouble

Contact Jim Powers at martin logan, he will be glad to help and have you run some tests to determine what is wrong. He has a an emaill address and phone number which you can get from this form. good luck

Contact Jim Powers at martin logan, he will be glad to help and have you run some tests to determine what is wrong. He has a an emaill address and phone number which you can get from this form. good luck

Thanks for your quick reply, khenegar;

Whatever, where is this form you've mentioned?

Thanks again!

Jgtx.

Well, I have submitted my doubts to the common Martin Logan web e-mail [email protected]. In case this generic one is not the one recommended by you, please let me know where to look for Jim's e-mail info.

Regards,
Jgtx.

Hello everybody as this is my very first post in the forum.

Well, the thing is that one of my speakers began a time ago to make some annoying noise from the panel. It sounded like electric failure or similar, but sometimes it stopped noising, but sometimes not. Last times, the noise kept sounding from the start to an end, but one day the speaker just didn't switch on again. As long as I know, this is a more or less common failure, but I don't know if the failure has anything to do with fuses, internal speaker's AC adapter or not.

Any information will be very welcome!

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Jgtx.

Hola Jortitox...all electrostatic speakers make funny noises once and then...also you can locate from where the noise is coming from. The problem is a debris. Do not worry, because this noise will not harm the speaker or your electronics. These debris are attracted by the electrostatic charge, and make these unwanted noise. At the end of the owners manual, Martin Logan explains this. Also with the aid of a brush or a vacuum cleaner, you can try to remove it. Disconnect the speaker from the main A.C., leave it over night and sometimes this works...hope this can help, happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
Well, according to one of Martin Logan's stuff, the failure can be cause by a DEC, a piece within the power supply. Anybody have suffered from a failure like this and how much does it cost aprox.?

Regards,
Jgtx.

Ps.: Thanks for your reply, Roberto!

Well, according to one of Martin Logan's stuff, the failure can be cause by a DEC, a piece within the power supply. Anybody have suffered from a failure like this and how much does it cost aprox.?

Regards,
Jgtx.

Ps.: Thanks for your reply, Roberto!

If I understood, now the speaker is dead, right?...if the woofer is working, but the panel, usually the problem is the high voltage power supply. Call Jim Power, or Melodie at service dept...they will help you to guide your problem. Happy listening,
Roberto.

If I understood, now the speaker is dead, right?...if the woofer is working, but the panel, usually the problem is the high voltage power supply. Call Jim Power, or Melodie at service dept...they will help you to guide your problem. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks again for your support, Roberto.

I emailed Jim last Friday, but he was out for holidays until today. I suppose he will email me as soon as he can. I got in contact with another Martin Logan's stuff, Dana B., so she told me that she thinks the fail can be caused by anything within the power supply.

Today, I've attempt to connect the failed speaker again just to check for news, and the thing goes as follows:

1.- When connected, the speaker makes the typical switched on noise, and it is reproduced in the whole electrostatic panel. You know, it's the same annoying sound it does when everything goes right, but I think this new sound is a bit louder than the normal one. Chips have disappeared! With "chips" I mean little electric sounds from here and there, located in the panel.

2.- Bass driver works perfectly when playing some music, but electrostatic panel doesn't.

I've contacted the SAT in Spain and because I live outside mainland, they can ship the power supply for €115, which looks to be a very high value for a power supply. Do you know any other power supply with same technical features that can fit the speaker?

Regards,
Jgtx.

Thanks again for your support, Roberto.

I emailed Jim last Friday, but he was out for holidays until today. I suppose he will email me as soon as he can. I got in contact with another Martin Logan's stuff, Dana B., so she told me that she thinks the fail can be caused by anything within the power supply.

Today, I've attempt to connect the failed speaker again just to check for news, and the thing goes as follows:

1.- When connected, the speaker makes the typical switched on noise, and it is reproduced in the whole electrostatic panel. You know, it's the same annoying sound it does when everything goes right, but I think this new sound is a bit louder than the normal one. Chips have disappeared! With "chips" I mean little electric sounds from here and there, located in the panel.

2.- Bass driver works perfectly when playing some music, but electrostatic panel doesn't.

I've contacted the SAT in Spain and because I live outside mainland, they can ship the power supply for €115, which looks to be a very high value for a power supply. Do you know any other power supply with same technical features that can fit the speaker?

Regards,
Jgtx.

Usually when the power supply fails, is the high voltage multiplier. You have about over 5000 Volts of polarization at the center diaphragm of the stat panel coming from this board. This is what fails, but you have to change the whole Printed circuit board. At this PCB you also have the on/off switching power supply, high voltage step, and the LED power supply. All in the same board. You might track the problem. Check the transformer for the high voltage...usually doubles the input voltage...then the multiplier circuit. Also there are at the bias voltage, just where the red cable outputs the high voltage, there are usually 15M resistors...5 resistors, check for possible open resistor...when order this board, ask for 220 AC V. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Your information is very important to me, so after reading it I will switch my printer on :bowdown:

People from the SAT are asking me €115 for the power supply (I don't know if it includes the PCB or it is just a power supply as is... I never seen a piece like these on a Martin Logan, so I ignore how is it).

I hope with this piece the problem can be solved.

Best regards again and thanks so, so much.

Jgtx.

Back