Custom Finishes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauger92

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm going to be purchasing a pair of Vantages soon. I am interested in choosing a custom wood finish for them, specifically Rotary Cut Bubinga. But Martin Logan's website doesn't do very well at showing these finishes up close. Can you guys offer some photos of all kinds of custom finishes? Thanks!

I have the rotary cut Bubinga Summits, as seen in my Avatar, and system pics. It's a gorgeous finish!

Oops, just realized my system pics don't really show the Bubinga finish, and the color is NOT as "orange" looking as my Avatar.

Here's a pic of the Bubinga Summit X (where you can zoom in for a closeup)...
http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_summit_x.pdf

Last edited:
I've seen Sleepysurf's Bubinga Summits and can attest that they are a beautiful finish and highly recommended. What most photos don't show is the deep luster and the way this wood veneer reflects the light.

Here's a pic of mine from an older room setup, but which accurately reflects the finish.

Attachments

• Bubinga Finish.jpg
    Bubinga Finish.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 566
My Summit / Bubinga finish photos are as detailed as Alan's but mine seem to have more of a "reddish" hue that Alan's pair.

And yes, I really like this option.

GG

I would like to see purple heart on a set of spires! I think the ladies would also dig this ;)

Attachments

• hardwood purple heart.jpg
    hardwood purple heart.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,001
Thanks for the help guys! Hey sleepysurf, ML offers two finish options, "non-glossy" and "glossy". Are your pictured Summits glossy or not?

Mine is non-glossy (satin finish). They didn't even offer the glossy version back then.

a 100% thick acrylic slightly smoked would also be nice I am not sure what it would do to the sound though, if anything.

I have seen the bubinga as a dark brown so be careful what you think you are getting

I have seen the bubinga as a dark brown so be careful what you think you are getting

Depending on the light, it varies from a reddish-orange hue to brown (almost mahogany). That's the beauty of Bubinga!

Martin Logan WILL use any veneer you ask for at a PREMIUM price !

Hey guys! I'm going to be purchasing a pair of Vantages soon. I am interested in choosing a custom wood finish for them, specifically Rotary Cut Bubinga. But Martin Logan's website doesn't do very well at showing these finishes up close. Can you guys offer some photos of all kinds of custom finishes? Thanks!

Brian -- where are you getting the vantages around here? did you get an audition? last time I checked - almas up in birmingham didn't have them either....

Here are my bubinga Spires for comparison.

Attachments

• Close-up of Bubinga Reduced.jpg
    Close-up of Bubinga Reduced.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 116
Timm - The Magnolia Home Theaters in Ann Arbor and Novi have the Vantages on display now. As you may know I have resources for purchasing ML speakers cheap....working for an ML dealer helps a bit. I may buy a pair of Spires or even Summits now. Sucks that the Magnolias don't carry any amplification to run those speakers very well though. Just AVRs.

Timm - The Magnolia Home Theaters in Ann Arbor and Novi have the Vantages on display now. As you may know I have resources for purchasing ML speakers cheap....working for an ML dealer helps a bit. I may buy a pair of Spires or even Summits now. Sucks that the Magnolias don't carry any amplification to run those speakers very well though. Just AVRs.

ah - good to know ... yeah, I don't know how you get a good demo with those... are you out there now? I went into your old place and wanted to hear the Pro-Ject TT and the guy said 'sorry, the record is warped...' Couldn't turn it on nothin....

ah - good to know ... yeah, I don't know how you get a good demo with those... are you out there now? I went into your old place and wanted to hear the Pro-Ject TT and the guy said 'sorry, the record is warped...' Couldn't turn it on nothin....

Yeah, I'm in Ann Arbor now working with another guy completing some training for complex installs. I'm pretty sure the Ann Arbor store has a fully-functional Pro-Ject turntable on display with "Kind of Blue" ready to go. They have it with a pair of Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grands and a Denon integrated. If you're serious about a Vantage demo, they would probably move the Vantages into that room with that Pro-Ject and the Denon Integrated. If you go in there, make sure you call and set up a demo with Jeff MacMahon. He very very knowledgeable. He's only part-time though so don't go out there without knowing he's working.

Back