41 Year Old Virgin

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphamalex

Reaction score
Hello fellas!

Just got a couple of ML Preface's this past weekend. They are absolutely gorgeous :rocker:

I do not have a serious receiver and my receiver overloads when I crank up the volume :D

I'd appreciate some help picking the right receiver for my new babies .. or separates .. whatever ..

Just happy to be here :p

Welcome "X"..............read / search the various threads on amplification choices....they are abundent !

fill us in on the rest of your system, budget, etc.......we'll be glad to help you spend your money !!

Welcome "X"..............read / search the various threads on amplification choices....they are abundent !

fill us in on the rest of your system, budget, etc.......we'll be glad to help you spend your money !!

thx Dave .. Like I said, just happy to be here :D

BTW, I checked out your rig ... its so beautiful even my wife would admit it ..

I wanna be like you when I grow up ... :bowdown:

welcome! i love my prefaces too. they are the best box speaker in the price range by a mile. enjoy!

welcome! i love my prefaces too. they are the best box speaker in the price range by a mile. enjoy!

Thanks fellas ... I have been posting in some other forums also and in one of them someone mentioned feeding the Prefaces with an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5. Anyone have any input on this manufacturer or the products I mentioned? The specs are great and the price is awesome; http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

I guess I'm thinking separates now but I did want a nice upconverting receiver; any ideas?

Thanks fellas ... I have been posting in some other forums also and in one of them someone mentioned feeding the Prefaces with an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5. Anyone have any input on this manufacturer or the products I mentioned? The specs are great and the price is awesome; http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

I guess I'm thinking separates now but I did want a nice upconverting receiver; any ideas?

i am considering the xpa-2 for mine. no need for the xpa-3 or 5 with them unless your going to have them in a theater, and the xpa-2 has bigger balls and gets better reviews in a 2 channel setup than the xpa-3 and 5 both.

i am considering the xpa-2 for mine. no need for the xpa-3 or 5 with them unless your going to have them in a theater, and the xpa-2 has bigger balls and gets better reviews in a 2 channel setup than the xpa-3 and 5 both.

Now for the ignoramus question of the day :p

The website says "500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms". The Preface is rated at 200W; will this amp blow the speaker to smithereens?

I am considering the XPA-3 more 'cuz I do need to drive the center (which I have not bought yet).

My sub is the Definitive SuperCube III which is a 650W bugger; no need to power it.

More power the better! As long as you don't turn it up to eleven and leave it there, you'll be fine. Underpowered AVR's and amps will do more damage to speakers than a high power amp.

When I listen, I peak at 50 watts under normal conditions. I've had it peak at 500 only twice and it was so loud I could not take it.

Gordon

Now for the ignoramus question of the day :p

The website says "500 watts RMS x 2 into 4 ohms". The Preface is rated at 200W; will this amp blow the speaker to smithereens?

I am considering the XPA-3 more 'cuz I do need to drive the center (which I have not bought yet).

My sub is the Definitive SuperCube III which is a 650W bugger; no need to power it.

I have the XPA-3 running my center channel Theater and Onix Rocket surrounds. It is a dramatic improvement over the Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 in my setup. Very robust, clean, and dynamic. I don't know how it compares to the Lexicons, Thetas, and Anthems of the world, but I am very satisfied. I can't attest to how well Emotivas perform in a 2-channel setup, though. The customer service is friendly and top-notch, and the warranty is transferable. If you go to their website forum, you will read a lot more fanboy testimonials.

Anthony

More power the better! As long as you don't turn it up to eleven and leave it there, you'll be fine. Underpowered AVR's and amps will do more damage to speakers than a high power amp.

When I listen, I peak at 50 watts under normal conditions. I've had it peak at 500 only twice and it was so loud I could not take it.

Gordon

So let's see; maybe I can come to a decision here.

I have a couple of Prefaces, and a solid 650W powered sub. I need a center (BB has an open box passive L/C/R2002 for $250 that I'll go get this weekend to try). All I want for now is 3.1 since my family room opens into the dining area and there is no room for rears.

The XPA-2 sounds awesome but it does not allow me to drive the passive center. If I get an XPA-3 it'll cost $600 delivered and I can use the pre-amp outs on my very old 7.1 HK receiver to feed it.

I have also read a couple of user comments that the bass on Prefaces is so good that a sub may not even be needed. Anyone care to shed more light on this statement?

I have a couple of Prefaces, and a solid 650W powered sub. I need a center (BB has an open box passive L/C/R2002 for $250 that I'll go get this weekend to try). All I want for now is 3.1 since my family room opens into the dining area and there is no room for rears.

The XPA-2 sounds awesome but it does not allow me to drive the passive center. If I get an XPA-3 it'll cost $600 delivered and I can use the pre-amp outs on my very old 7.1 HK receiver to feed it.

I have also read a couple of user comments that the bass on Prefaces is so good that a sub may not even be needed. Anyone care to shed more light on this statement?

i dont know about ditching the sub. they do have very clean low end but need some heft in the deep bass bombs Dave Schools can unleash. i have found them to be lacking without my sub, but then im not throwing serious power at them yet either.... im saving for the XPA-2 now.

my comment on the xpa-3 is based on reading in their forum of owners of both & they all agree that the xpa-3 is damn good, but the 2 is hands down better in every category in 2 channel applications. but given your use i can see the xpa-3 being the better decision.

with the 30 day in home policy as a safety net im going to give it a go. ive read multiple reviews of the XPA-2 using ESL and all are positive.

i do really like these speakers though, a friend compared them to b&w's that cost more then double, and choose these. i do have them in as good a home as i can provide.

my Prefaces: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10103

I'm not an HT guy, I have one but it is about 10 years behind the times so take what I say with a grain of salt! Can you run a Phantom center and just go with a XPA2? I guess it boils down to what is more important 2 or 3 channel. If it is a mix, I'd go with a 2 channel amp and let the AVR take care of the rest if the budget demands it.

I can't comment on the EMO gear. Never owned any, but my friend just bought an XPA5 I'm going to listen to this weekend. We're going to compare my B&K 7250 and the XPA5 for fun.

Bass on the Preface? I would think that any HT would have a mandatory sub included.

Gordon

I can't comment on the EMO gear. Never owned any, but my friend just bought an XPA5 I'm going to listen to this weekend. We're going to compare my B&K 7250 and the XPA5 for fun.
Gordon

I'd love to hear comments on the XPA-5; please let us know your thoughts soon :eek:

I'd love to hear comments on the XPA-5; please let us know your thoughts soon :eek:

I listened to both the EMO and the B&K through a Paradigm Studio 100 surround system with a B&K Ref 30 pre.

The EMO/BK both did well on HT. Enough punch on all 5 channels from both. I'd have to give the edge to the B&K for a tad smoother and warmer sound.

When in Direct 2 Channel, I prefered the B&K again for it's warmer and perhaps rolled off presentation. The EMO was too forward and etched for my taste. It did however control the bass slightly better than the B&K.

If my B&K ever bites the dust, I'd consider the EMO for my HT, but for music I would look elsewhere.

Gordon

Back