My LM3886TF weekend project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of my latest chip amp based on the LM3886.

LM3886TF1.jpg

LM3886TF3.jpg

Very cool.

It's funny how these days, the majority of the weight and parts count is in the power supply. Nice toroid there.

That's a nice box, where did you get it from?

The case (ATI-738U) I bought back in 2007 from ATI Research. It had just been sitting, so I decided to use it.

The National Semiconductor LM3886TF is capable of 68 watts. I'm under driving it so I get about 50 watts per channel.

The amp has plenty of heft to drive even non-efficient speakers. The highs are very crisp. I've only got about 15 minutes on the amp, so it should only get better as things heat cycle a few times and the chips get a good burn in.

The case (ATI-738U) I bought back in 2007 from ATI Research. It had just been sitting, so I decided to use it.
QUOTE]

Too bad they are no longer in business.

How are the Prodigys?

Very nice!

Some of the chip amps have excellent specs, and are even making their way into high-powered tube amps as driver stages.

http://www.electra-print.com/techblog.php?blogid=7

I am thinking about using one to drive my PP 304TL amplifier. In this case a single Pentawatt device can swing 130 volts on the output stage grids, all the way into A2 if you'd like.

Tj

Where did you source the boards/heatsinks from?

Tj

Very nice indeed!

I am not a fan of anything with a power switch at the back, having lived for many years with a CDT and DAC that had power switches in it the back. I found it a major problem reaching round the back every time.

Very nice indeed!

I am not a fan of anything with a power switch at the back, having lived for many years with a CDT and DAC that had power switches in it the back. I found it a major problem reaching round the back every time.

I don't use the chip amps that often in a permanent setup, but when I do, I power them via a 12VDC triggered relay (Parasound Scamp).

Very nice indeedy! Clean, well thought out.

I'm just curious, which of your wonderfull SAE amps would you compare the sound to?

Back