Dynamo Opinions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pohopien

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's opinions are of this sub. I see the older models (I believe they've gone wireless) are going for like $300....tempted to pick up a couple.

Anyone have these....even in a small HT setup....or are they just used for computer setups? :D

Funny, I used one for a few years in my computer setup! :)

I loved the thing. It played clean, loud, and fairly low. A couple of them in a small room would rock!

BTW, the wireless kit is just that...a wireless kit you can add to any of the subs.

I've listened to this sub a few times at Best Buy. For a 'little' guy I thought it was fine for music. For movies, I'd be worried about over-driving it though.

Erik

Well, I went to Fry's electronics to pick up the Dynamo but ended up getting the floor model Abyss. Got a very good deal $360, but in my haste I didn't realize it didn't come with a speaker grill. I need this to face forward (not down as it was at Fry's.

Listened to both the Dynamo and the Abyss and the Abyss definitely threw more air...both were quite tight though.

Great unit but I'm forced to return it tomorrow. I could deal with the "no-box" but "no-grill" either.....can't do that.:rolleyes:

It should definitely include a grille! You might make a quick call to ML and see if Jim can hook you up with a grille! Surely, they would be happy to send you one for a small fee....and who knows...maybe they will do it as a courtesy. :) Good price on the Abyss too.

After playing with the Abyss in both my HT and 2-channel setup (Bryston 7B's & Ascents)......I've decided to keep the sub. I suppose it may not be as fast as their servo offerings, however, between the phase control, level controls, crossovers, and just overall sub placement.....one has plenty of opportunity to make it blend with their main speakers. Yes, it'll probably take me 3 months to find a combination I like, but so what.....that's half the fun

I called Martin Logan and they're sending me a replacement grill for $35.....and this is why I'm posting one more note:

Martin Logan has got to have one of the best service dept's ever. I've been using ML's for over 10 years and while I love the sound, it's their service that makes me a loyal customer. It's refreshing to see that the buyout a few years back, hasn't affected their service. Hat's off to Jim and his entire dept.:bowdown:

Back