Monolith or CLS? Which way would you go?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadof4

Reaction score
Hi All. I own a pair of CLS original models that I bought with the understanding that they would need new panels fairly soon. I just met up with an owner of a pair of Monolith 1's that he bought as the original owner. They had both the panels and woofers replaced in 2004 and have been in storage due to a divorce lack of space issue.They probably only have 50 hours on them since rebuild and look great With the new panels being 1500 and the costs of the Monoliths around a 1000, any thoughts as to which way to go? Or should I just get 'em both and find a used ML center channel:ROFL:
BTW I am in driving distance of the ML plant so shipping is no issue....

Thanks for all your wisdom!:bowdown:

that is an awesome problem you have to figure out. hope it works out for you.

I am curious about what other members think. Especially those that have owned both. This summer I'll be back in the market and the thought of having Monoliths is intriguing.

Hi All. I own a pair of CLS original models that I bought with the understanding that they would need new panels fairly soon. I just met up with an owner of a pair of Monolith 1's that he bought as the original owner. They had both the panels and woofers replaced in 2004 and have been in storage due to a divorce lack of space issue.They probably only have 50 hours on them since rebuild and look great With the new panels being 1500 and the costs of the Monoliths around a 1000, any thoughts as to which way to go? Or should I just get 'em both and find a used ML center channel:ROFL:
BTW I am in driving distance of the ML plant so shipping is no issue....

Thanks for all your wisdom!:bowdown:

Great dilemma.

The newer panels on the Monoliths are what would swing it for me.

While the panel/woofer integration on Monoliths is troublesome with the factory passive, an external active crossover totally transforms these speakers. It's one of the benefits of the monoliths that they are so easy to tweak this way, as crossovers are external.

If you are willing to contemplate that, then definitely the Monolith would be the better choice.

However, a well performing CLS has it's own kind of magic, and is even better if crossed over to a sub at around 80hz.
But the panel cost would seriously make me reconsider.

I don't think you can under-estimate the power of a full range electro-stat. No matter how good the crossover is, the high and mid sound being produced by the panel and bass being produced a woofer sounds unnatural to my ears. The bass just sounds boomy on a hybrid. So between those 2 speakers, the CLS would be my choice. The best hybrid speaker implementation I have heard is by the Janszen speaker. The Spire is state of the art hybrid also and is 15 -20 years "younger" than the Monolith technology. I don't know how good the cross-over Jonathan has implemented is, but I am skeptical.

Personally that unnatural boominess in the bass is why I gave up the Spire. Ultimately, you will have to listen to both for yourself.

Problem solved!!!

Well it appears the problem has been solved for now and the previously outlandish idea of having two sets of ESLs may come to pass. The wife now likes the CLS pair in the bedroom and says just get the others!!! The CLS never go too loud which minimizes issues related to panel replacement for the time being. They are hooked up to an old Denon AV receiver, biding their time until the 2011 tax return check hits and I can replace the panels. The Monoliths will go in the front room with plenty of room to breath! Wife approval factor has more han one:banana: meaning!:ROFL:

Latest posts

Back