Motif or Matinee

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shub

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a ML center channel. Right now, for surround playback I am using super cheapie Orb (Gallo ripoffs) for the Center & Rears. They work especially for the rears since the rear channel material is not so critical in my opinion. However, the center does most of the work in most movie soundtracks .... these just are not up to par to play along with my Vista's... it's painfully obvious how inferior they are... I guess it is to be expected though for a $200 speaker (I use the term "speaker" loosely)

So the logical choice is to get an ML center channel....

I wasn't sure which center channel is a better pairing for the Vista's .. the Motif or the Matinee. I am leaning towards the Motif... but then again the Matinee doesn't look bad either!

Thx in advance!
Bjarni

I am thinking of adding a ML center channel. Right now, for surround playback I am using super cheapie Orb (Gallo ripoffs) for the Center & Rears. They work especially for the rears since the rear channel material is not so critical in my opinion. However, the center does most of the work in most movie soundtracks .... these just are not up to par to play along with my Vista's... it's painfully obvious how inferior they are... I guess it is to be expected though for a $200 speaker (I use the term "speaker" loosely)

So the logical choice is to get an ML center channel....

I wasn't sure which center channel is a better pairing for the Vista's .. the Motif or the Matinee. I am leaning towards the Motif... but then again the Matinee doesn't look bad either!

Thx in advance!
Bjarni

Hola Shub...the MOTIF is the one. You can use both also as LCR. The Motif is also vacuum bonding as your Vistas. It will match great! I am using it as my center too, with my old CLSIIZ. The Motif uses clear spars as the Vistas and aluminum woofers. It is a little more expensive than the Matinee, but I think it really worth every penny. On the other hand, the Matinee if also a very good sounding (not as good as the Motif to my ears) speaker. The Vista and Motif shares the same technology in construction and performance. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I'm interested in this, too.
I currently have Clarity mains and Fresco i as center. Not very happy with the Fresco i. Would Motif or Matinee be a better choice? Which one in my case?
Also consider that some day I would like to upgrade the Clarity to Vista or Spire, but don't know how soon the budget will allow it.

Hello,
With the Center Channel being the lynchpin in HT, I would definitely recommend purchasing the best CC that you can possibly afford.

I am using the Stage with my Vantages and could not be happier. If using Vista's, I would definitely go with the Motif over the Matinee. There are also a number of used Stage's available on Audiogon for around 2 thousand Dollars which is really close to what the Motif retails for.

If using the Clarity, the Motif would be my choice as well. With the price difference not being that vast over the Matinee, I would definitely go with the larger CC.
Cheers,
JJ

Thx

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have looked at the Stage as well (used) & the Cinema i (older model ?!?!)

I wonder how much difference there is between the Stage & Motif ... Minimal difference in price between a used Stage and a new Motif.... I am a little more apprehensive about buying used speakers than I am buying used electronics .. you just never know if someone has abused it....

Any opinions on the Cinema i? Saw some used ones on the Gon for pretty reasonable prices....

thx

I love the motif with my vistas but I have had it for so long I don't know if I could give you an unbias comparison. If you get the motif, you will be happy. If you can land a stage, I think you will be happy as well. The motif was designed for the vista/vantage and it preforms quite well.

Back