Rounding out a surround sound setup

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigcl

Reaction score
I posted on another thread about Vista vs Vantage and what receiver to get with them and I just bought a pair of Vistas and will get an Onkyo 876 amp shortly. I will get a Grotto or Depth sub depending on how cheaply I can find one :)

That leaves the rear and side speakers. Unfortunately I have windows in the rear of the listening area so an in-wall speaker like the Ticket won't work. Helos 100 are too much for all rears and sides but do people use Helos 10's or 20's as sides or rears? Are the Helos 20's or 100's worth the extra $? I could theoretically get Helos 100's for rears and 20's or 10's as sides.

Another possibility is to get a couple of the new bookshelf-like speakers ML is coming out with and use them as rears.

Budget is $1200 for sides and rears but will buy all equipment on ebay or audiogon...

Thanks for all your help.

rear and side speakers for surround sound?

I posted on another thread about Vista vs Vantage and what receiver to get with them and I just bought a pair of Vistas and will get an Onkyo 876 amp shortly. I will get a Grotto or Depth sub depending on how cheaply I can find one :)

That leaves the rear and side speakers. Unfortunately I have windows in the rear of the listening area so an in-wall speaker like the Ticket won't work. Helos 100 are too much for all rears and sides but do people use Helos 10's or 20's as sides or rears? Are the Helos 20's or 100's worth the extra $? I could theoretically get Helos 100's for rears and 20's or 10's as sides.

Another possibility is to get a couple of the new bookshelf-like speakers ML is coming out with and use them as rears.

Budget is $1200 for sides and rears but will buy all equipment on ebay or audiogon...

Thanks for all your help.

You do not mention what your center channel is. That should determine for all practical purposes what your rear or side speakers should be, whether you are using a 5.1 or 7.1 system. The most important matter in choice of speakers that their voicing is compatible with your main speakers. M-L is coming out with the Motion line which I have not heard. That line with have a center as well as side speakers within your budget and will, I am told, match with existing ESLs.
I am leery about buying used speakers on 'ebay or the 'gon unless they are from a reputable dealer who will stand behind purchase.

You do not mention what your center channel is. That should determine for all practical purposes what your rear or side speakers should be, whether you are using a 5.1 or 7.1 system. The most important matter in choice of speakers that their voicing is compatible with your main speakers. M-L is coming out with the Motion line which I have not heard. That line with have a center as well as side speakers within your budget and will, I am told, match with existing ESLs.

To tell you the truth I hadn't thought about a center channel. I've never owned one and didn't think they were particularly necessary...but I suspect I am wrong on that one ;-)

Current ML center channels are way expensive but I think I could afford something like a Cinema...I'm seeing those in the < $1000 range.

I've also come across Vignettes which I could use as rear channels since they don't have to be wall-mounted. I'm a little leery of using ceiling-mount rear channels...seems a little weird.

So one possibility is to have my Vistas as fronts, Cinema as center, vignettes as rears and Helos 10's or 20's as sides. Sub TBD.

But to tell you the truth I'm not terribly familiar with anything but ML Vistas/Vantages so I have no clue if what I proposed is complete nonsense :)

To tell you the truth I hadn't thought about a center channel. I've never owned one and didn't think they were particularly necessary...but I suspect I am wrong on that one ;-)

Current ML center channels are way expensive but I think I could afford something like a Cinema...I'm seeing those in the < $1000 range.

I've also come across Vignettes which I could use as rear channels since they don't have to be wall-mounted. I'm a little leery of using ceiling-mount rear channels...seems a little weird.

So one possibility is to have my Vistas as fronts, Cinema as center, vignettes as rears and Helos 10's or 20's as sides. Sub TBD.

But to tell you the truth I'm not terribly familiar with anything but ML Vistas/Vantages so I have no clue if what I proposed is complete nonsense :)

Center channels may not be useful, if you sit in the sweet spot. They are also useful in improving speech.

Center channels may not be useful, if you sit in the sweet spot. They are also useful in improving speech.

They are useful for large listening aerea,not to be confused with large listening room. If you speaker image well, you'll be fine without as you've always been.

Latest posts

Back