Opinion on Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
Hello,

My son is getting back into audio and is looking at the Vista. His room is a strange configuration of which he needs to keep the height of the speaker around 5' or so due to other things in the room.
My concern is that he listens to a lot of rock,puck and actually many different types of music.
Will this speaker give him what is needed for rock etc? Room is roughly 15'x 12 with flat and pitched ceiling being on the 3rd floor.
I am giving him my Kora-Hermes and a cdp to use as a transport, we will work on amplification within his budget as we go. He knows the sound of ML's as he has heard mine many times.

Many thanks,
Bob

Everyone has different things that they want from their music, so this is kind of a difficult question to answer. When it comes to rock/punk/etc, Martin Logan speakers are always capable, but if it's a so-so recording they sound pretty good, whereas if it's a topnotch recording they sound amazing. I listen to a lot of rock, but since getting my Logans I have gravitated away from much of the stuff I used to listen to, in favor of the 20% or so of my music library that has superior recording quality and really stands out on these speakers.

I'm sure you'll get varying opinions on this issue, so take this for what it is: one man's opinion.

Last edited:
Hello,

His room is a strange configuration of which he needs to keep the height of the speaker around 5' or so due to other things in the room.

Bob, what other anomolies does this room have ?

has he listened to other speakers ? ....formed any opinions ?

IMO, as much as I love my Logans if they can't be given at least the minimum of 'set-up' and location consideration your better off with something else.

Hi Gentlemen,

Boy you put me on the spot :)

First off this will be a temporary room as he and and future wife will buy a home in a few years so he is looking to the future as well where he will have more options.
He is a professional drummer and just loves the ML sound and I have used him at my home to listen to the systems over the years and is always amazed at how he can hear things that you really hear only sitting behind the drum kit vs. many other speakers.
He has had Maggies years back can't remember the model but they were a smaller set. He has some cheap monitors now?
He had some box speakers that were I think Radian Research. Not a bad sound actually and may have been part of the Rogers speaker company?
The room due to being on the 3rd floor has pitched areas kind of like a cape style house in parts of the room and I can help him with room treatment.
I think he has enough room to get them to sound decent until he goes to a new home and can upgrade down the road but wants to enjoy music more than what he has now. He also plays a lot of vinyl ( many of my old albums) as well as his library which is pretty numerous.Please let me know if you need more info.

Many thanks,
Bob

First off this will be a temporary room room

Simply put.......he should buy the best he can afford..... if the Vantage is within his reach I'd consider it over the Vista, for being American made and a powered bass driver are pluses in my book.

Since he has had experience listening to your Logan's then the Vista's should not be too much of a gamble on his part. If he wants more bottom end he will either need a fairly beefy amp or upgrade to the Vantage's that have a built in amplifier. Or he could just add a Logan sub or two on down the line. Some of this will depend on how loud he actually likes to play his music and how competent his amplifier is, so this is why I threw out the idea of the Vantages. Good luck and have fun!!!

Glen

Hi Dave and Glen,
Thank you Very much for the input!

I will relay this info to him.

He does love the ML sound and talking to him today I don't think he wants another speaker type which makes me happy in a way as I am the old man :).
He will have a nice front end to start with and go from there. Now it is time for me to go listen to the new(used) cdp he and my daughter and wife chipped in to get me for Christmas :)

My very best,
Bob

Hello,
I will definitely second the Vantage recommendation. Especially since it has active woofers, it will be somewhat easier to drive. Given the difference on the used marker is not vast, it really is the way to go.
Cheers,
ML

is the powered woofer the main difference in the vantage vs. the vista? are the panels the same, more or less, sonically?

I believe the panels are the same size, but the woofer is ported on the Vista and sealed on the Vantage. Also the crossover is higher (450Hz) on the Vista and 400Hz for the Vantage.

is the powered woofer the main difference in the vantage vs. the vista? are the panels the same, more or less, sonically?

The ESL panels ar the ONLY thing the two share, while the Vista is asembled here, it's bass enclouser and cross-over are of Asian descent, whereas the Vantage is USA....stem to stern !!

this is great feedback, thanks. i really need to hear them both now.

would you say the step up in sonics is great or simply ok? i mean if 450hz and down is the only difference in theory ....and the vista im sure doesnt suck...things that make go hummmm

/scratches chin

and im sorry to hijack the thread. sometimes someone else asks the question your pondering and hijacking occurs.

Thanks again to all for the input gentlemen. I did speak to my son and he will save for the Vantages as it makes the most sense.
No biggie Jimna as I think everyone is here to help each other :)

Best Regards,
Bob

Hi All,
Just an update that we found a pair in our state of Vantages and my son bought them for $ 2500.00.
We will pick them up Saturday. They appear in very nice shape.

Thanks again.

Bob

Very good Bob, sounds like a verry good deal, I trust he will be happy

Thank you gentlemen,
Good part is the owner will have them hooked up so we can hear them as well. I think he will be very happy!

Regards,
Bob

Hey guys, this is Pete, Bob's son. Just joined and wanted say thank you to all for the input. im sure I'll be hitting you all up for more input/opinions and thoughts. thanks again!

Welcome Pete, I KNOW you will like your new Vantage's !!

Back