your own SR-71 !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, it's definitely more exciting than model trains ! :p

you got that right Bernard ! although I doubt that the trains suffer catastrophic crashes like the planes do.

That is incredibly awesome, but I would be terrified of crashing it and/or killing someone in the process! :eek:

The jet is very cool. The 60+ year old Deutschlander in clam diggers, not so much.

the SR-71 is one of my all time favorite aircraft. Followed by the F4, the muscle car of the air.

Ward, I'm assuming you're speaking of the 'Phantom' not the F4u 'Corsair'. The era of the Phantom reminds of a movie I re-watched recently...'The Great Santini'

BTW, I'm not knocking the Corsair, a Pacific theater stallwart for sure, although my favorite prop plane of WWII would be the P-51D.

Ward, I'm assuming you're speaking of the 'Phantom' not the F4u 'Corsair'. The era of the Phantom reminds of a movie I re-watched recently...'The Great Santini'I love old war planes. Sweet vid.

BTW, I'm not knocking the Corsair, a Pacific theater stallwart for sure, although my favorite prop plane of WWII would be the P-51D.
Yes the Rolls powered P51 was BAD ASS !

Yes the Rolls powered P51 was BAD ASS !

There was one regularly flying around Filton when I worked at Rolls-Royce a good few years ago. Simply awesome - that Merlin makes an incredible noise. A truly beautiful sight - will never forget it. Don't make 'em like they used to...;)

The Spitfire was good too, mind:)

Steve, just watched a program on DVD about the B52 and they noted it is to stay in service until 2042!!! Some of those jets could be almost 100 years old by the time they are pulled out of service!

So sad to see that awesome model crash! Each of those turbine engines (and there were EIGHT OF THEM!) probably cost $3k+! OUCH!

There was one regularly flying around Filton when I worked at Rolls-Royce a good few years ago. Simply awesome - that Merlin makes an incredible noise. A truly beautiful sight - will never forget it. Don't make 'em like they used to...;)

The Spitfire was good too, mind:)

dey look like dis and go into des!

Attachments

• Griffon.jpg
    Griffon.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 119
  • ROLLSin.jpg
    ROLLSin.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 116
Dave,

Actually saw one of those remote controlled "mini jets" several years ago at an abandoned airport in Alpine, WY.

Pretty scary in person. And very loud.

Gordon

Cool vid, There's a hobby store nearby that sells a few jet powered models but I know none of the cost as much as a pair of CLX and descent Is. Honestly for that price I could buy, and restore a plane and pay for the flight training and pilots license to take it up in the air, but if he has that type of disposable income more power to him. BTW, I think the P51D is every Americans favorite WW2 fighter. If I'm not mistaken its still one of the most popular training aircraft in use today. Truly a marvel of 20th century engineering.

Back