Vista/Vantage and new receiver to pair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigcl

Reaction score
I'm going to get either a pair of Vistas or Vantages...not sure yet but the pocketbook is telling me the Vista + subwoofer is probably better than the Vantage alone (this will be a home theater setup). I am thinking I will need to get a new receiver as well to drive these no matter which one I get. Any suggestions for an AV reciever under $1000? I looked around on the forum and didn't see any related threads.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Can't speak for the Vista/Vantage debate....

As for AV receiver....if you can work with 5 channel...the Sunfire (5200, Cinema Grand) 5x200 are going for under $1K and folks around here like them cuz they handle MLs low impedances pretty well.

You can spend a little more and get their 5x400 as well if you like.

I'm going to get either a pair of Vistas or Vantages...not sure yet but the pocketbook is telling me the Vista + subwoofer is probably better than the Vantage alone (this will be a home theater setup). I am thinking I will need to get a new receiver as well to drive these no matter which one I get. Any suggestions for an AV reciever under $1000? I looked around on the forum and didn't see any related threads.

Thanks...

Depends on what subwoofer you're talking about. If you're thinking of a Descent, then probably yes - the Vista + Descent = good. If you're going to get a cheap 'n' nasty little thing then heck NO.

It also depends on what options you have to hook the sub up.

Oh, and what are you going to drive it with? The receiver? I wouldn't recommend it, but if this is the case, the Vantage may also get a slight lead due to the powered woofer.

the Vista + subwoofer is probably better than the Vantage alone (this will be a home theater setup).

in a HT set-up I concur 100%, you'll want a sub for HT anyways so the money savings of the Vista over the Vantage can be put to good use in a quality sub.

Any suggestions for an AV reciever under $1000? ...

I just recently picked up an Onkyo TX-SR707 for $700, very satisfied.

Also Audio Advisor might still have their year end clearance sale going on....all kinds of discounted goodies there........M/L Abyss subs 1/2 price !

Current thinking is to get a Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver and a ML Grotto sub. I am thinking I will want 7 channels. Possibly use Helios as sides.

Hello,
Actually, if definitely using a AVR as your amplification, the Vantages might be the better choice due to having active (powered) woofers. They are both more efficient and easier to drive than the Vista's which is a huge consideration if using an AVR.

If using an AVR, I would pickup a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR876. Available for around 850 Dollars (1800 MSRP), way more power than the 807 and much better video processing with the Reon Chip.

But it is the much stronger amplifier section that makes this a better choice if not using the AVR as an SSP.
Here is the bench test for the TX-SR875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2463/test-bench-onkyo-tx-sr875-av-receiver.html
I realize some here hate Onkyo, but the vast majority of Professional Reviewers and many users are quite pleased and they offer stellar price/performance ratio.

Cheers,
ML

Last edited:
Hello,
Actually, if definitely using a AVR as your amplification, the Vantages might be the better choice due to having active (powered) woofers. They are both more efficient and easier to drive than the Vista's which is a huge consideration if using an AVR.

If using an AVR, I would pickup a B-Stock Onkyo TX-SR876. Available for around 850 Dollars (1800 MSRP), way more power than the 807 and much better video processing with the Reon Chip.

But it is the much stronger amplifier section that makes this a better choice if not using the AVR as an SSP.
Here is the bench test for the TX-SR875: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/receivers/2463/test-bench-onkyo-tx-sr875-av-receiver.html
I realize some here hate Onkyo, but the vast majority of Professional Reviewers and many users are quite pleased and they offer stellar price/performance ratio.

Cheers,
ML

Ok thanks...was in Magnolia hifi and they suggest Denon 3310, Pioneer Elite VSX23TXH, or Marantz 7002.

Quick google search indicates I can get the Onkyo 876 for $850, Denon 3310 for $950, Pioneer VSX23 for $650, Marantz 7002 for $950

All within my price range and I have absolutely no idea how to even decide. Is this the sort of thing where you go with the manufacturer you trust or are there bells and whistles that really matter? Since this will be primarily used for blu ray movies and gaming I guess ease of setup, quality of surround, and quality of sound are important to me...

I will get either the Grotto or Abyss ($600 on Amazon) and they are powered :)

Thanks for all your responses - they really help :)

Last edited:
Hello,
A good indicator of power supply in AVR's and amplifiers is weight. The Onkyo weighs 53 pounds, the Denon 28.6 pounds, Pioneer 37 Pounds, and I am not sure there is a Marantz AVR-7502.

The Onkyo's amplifier section is far stronger than the other AVR's you are considering. Also, the 876 is the only one with Audyssey's more powerful MultEQ XT and THX Ultra2 Plus Certification. This coupled with Reon Video Processing makes it the best call to me. Here is a good article about AVR Video Processing:http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/
In the article only the 5000 Dollar Denon and the Onkyo passed all the tests.
The Reon chip is a simplified version of the Realta chip in the Denon.

Also, I would definitely go with the Grotto as it is servo controlled where the Abyss is not.
Cheers,
ML

Last edited:
Hello,
A good indicator of power supply in AVR's and amplifiers is weight. The Onkyo weighs 53 pounds, the Denon 28.6 pounds, Pioneer 37 Pounds, and I am not sure there is a Marantz AVR-7502.

The Onkyo's amplifier section is far stronger than the other AVR's you are considering. Also, the 876 is the only one with Audyssey's more powerful MultEQ XT and THX Ultra2 Plus Certification. This coupled with Reon Video Processing makes it the best call to me. Here is a good article about AVR Video Processing:http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/
In the article only the 5000 Dollar Denon and the Onkyo passed all the tests.
The Reon chip is a simplified version of the Realta chip in the Denon.

Also, I would definitely go with the Grotto as it is servo controlled where the Abyss is not.
Cheers,
ML

Thanks Mark! BTW I had the Marantz model wrong. It's 7002 and I changed it on the post above...and it's 33 lb :)

Cheers,
ML

Mark, while I won't deny the superiority of the Grotto, given the Op's intent of usage in an 'HT' setup and the fact that it is double what one can buy a Abyss for at the moment that is alot of $$ in the overall budget of this particular system.

Thanks...

Did you look at NAD and/or Rotel?

Mark, while I won't deny the superiority of the Grotto, given the Op's intent of usage in an 'HT' setup and the fact that it is double what one can buy a Abyss for at the moment that is alot of $$ in the overall budget of this particular system.

Hello,
If that is an issue, I would recommend a eD-A350 or a HSU Research VTF-2 MK3 rather than the Abyss. It seems many Grotto non "i"'s have come up for sale close to the price of the Abyss as well.

For some reason, I thought the OP could find both for close to the same amount. In which case, my mistake.
Cheers,
ML

i would consider emotiva if i were going to consider a receiver.... click on the link up above and take a look around...seperates for receiver prices basically ...maybe a little over your budget - but something to consider at least. that is the route I would take fwiw....

i would consider emotiva if i were going to consider a receiver.... click on the link up above and take a look around...seperates for receiver prices basically ...maybe a little over your budget - but something to consider at least. that is the route I would take fwiw....

I think the UMC-1 looks to be great. I'm thinking of getting one when it comes out.

Right now the Integra 9.8 (or 9.9) is a good pre-processor..but as you said, this will easily get over $1K.

I misread the original post....receiver...

I used a Harman Kardon AVR7300 with great success...it didn't clip...sounded clean and never saw thermal shutdown. This was powering a pair of Aerius i and a Logos center.

The AVR7300 weighs in at 55 lbs.

Back