Critique my setup plans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajlopez

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
A few months back I made a thread about potentially replacing my dual Abyss's with A single Descent I. Well, with the addition of an Audyssey MultEQ equipped receiver I was able to make some significant improvements...But i still want MORE!!!! I am now able to pick up a Descent I at a significant savings and I am thinking of adding this on top of my existing setup. My plans are to remove the Abyss from .LFE duty and instead run the L preout to one Abyss and the R preout to the other. From there I intend to 'high pass' directly to the Purity's with a crossover set to around 45hz. I'll then leave all .LFE duties to the Descent I which can be placed anywhere in the room. I obviously intend to run the Mains as "Full range" via the AVR with this setup and will leave the rest of the speakers set to "small" with whatever crossover Audyssey deems necessary.

This 'seems' like an awesome plan to me :D but I wouldn't be me if i didn't second guess myself. My concerns are as follows:

Do you think that Abyss subs will mask or "color" the cleaner response of the Descent I?

Will I be screwing with my room acoustics or Audyssey results by running each Purity+Abyss as one large full range speaker?

Any Critiques or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always. :bowdown:

Here's a pic of what i intend to do. (just in case i didn't articulate my self adequately. How do you like my mad MS paint skillz. :cool:)

Attachments

• speaker layout.jpg
    speaker layout.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 313
Unless you want serious bass issues, I think using three subs, two different models, connected differently, is going to impact your sound.

I also strongly advise against connecting your Puritys through the Abyss (or any subwoofer for that matter) - you want the cleanest signal possible getting to them and that means direct.

What is wrong with the Descent alone, connected via LFE?

The only problem i have with running the Descent on it's own is that i already own everything else, and would prefer to not have to sell them if they can be used to help. Also, how does my setup differ at all from the recommended setup form my Martin Logan owners manual? (with exception that my amplifier is in the speaker)seen here.

Attachments

• 2-channel output..jpg
    2-channel output..jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 308
The only problem i have with running the Descent on it's own is that i already own everything else, and would prefer to not have to sell them if they can be used to help. Also, how does my setup differ at all from the recommended setup form my Martin Logan owners manual? (with exception that my amplifier is in the speaker)seen here.

Did you want a critique or do you just want to use everything for no other reason than you've got it?

If you had a Sony boombox, would you want to connect those speakers up and have them humming along with your quality system too?

I'm not meaning to be rude - just making a point.

A system is only as good as its weakest link - why buy a Descent if you're only going to have Abysses humming along reducing the SQ that you paid for in the Descent?

Of course, I have not heard your system (in your room) and I do not really know. It is just my thoughts. Experiment with what I (and others) say and see if we're right or not. If you prefer what you've done already then that's perfectly plausable!

Last edited:
i agree with Amey........looks like a giant 'boom box' or 'pimpmobile' ride you see going down the highway !

Last edited:
I'll try a more gentle approach. Why not first try your speakers direct, as suggested, which will give you a cleaner sound. Then try just the Descent to see if it meets your expectations. If not, add one sub at time until pleased.

Blending multiple subs of different levels is going to be a difficult chore. Unless your trying to knock the drywall down, a single well placed and configured sub will be much better sounding than three mismatched pieces.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Gordon

i would say if you cant get enough bass from 2 abyss subs then you should sell them for something better. are they really that lacking?

It would seem that 3 subs are probably overkill and are going to degrade rather than improve your listening experience. If nothing else I can imagine that your dry wall is going to be flapping from the bass waves.

Sounds like it might work... I don't see how it could impact SQ if he does set the receiver's setting to full range on his L/R fronts, since the receiver will now channel the full range signal to the L/R channels with both Abyss subs doing front low-end duty, leaving the Descent with just the pure .1 track (from a 5.1/7.1 stream) for cleaner low end bass. At least in theory, it will probably not benefit from a 2-channel audio track though, I'm curious to find out :)

Last edited:
Sounds like it might work... I don't see how it could impact SQ if he does set the receiver's setting to full range on his L/R fronts, since the receiver will now channel the full range signal to the L/R channels with both Abyss subs doing front low-end duty, leaving the Descent with just the pure .1 track (from a 5.1/7.1 stream) for cleaner low end bass. At least in theory, it will probably not benefit from a 2-channel audio track though, I'm curious to find out :)

These were my thoughts exactly. I guess i should have specified that this will be strictly for HT... sorry i left that out. If my understanding of AVR bass management is correct, then the Abyss's would NEVER be playing the same content as the Descent. The Abyss's would solely handle the low frequency content from the L&R main channels while the Descent I would handle ALL .1 LFE content along with the summed low end content from the center and surround channels. In any case, experimentation will be the only way to find out if this worthwhile. While i expected "passionate" responses, I don't think comparing ANYTHING from the ML lineup to a "sony boombox" or "pimpmobile" does the company or equipment any justice...(even when haphazardly thrown together by an over-enthusiastic Bass-head like myself :D) Nonetheless, the points made were valid and well-received.

Since I do not own the Descent yet, this is all theoretical. But, if the results are less-than-desirable :eek:, (which more than likely will be the case) then the Abyss's will be moved into the living room to replace a ML Dynamo in my secondary system. My only issue with Abyss is that they really aren't 'sub'woofers as they are don't provide any usable subsonic output. For those that are interested, I'll post up my findings as soon as i can. Should be Fun!

^ I agree... with the setup you have in mind, this will absolutely be great when playing 5.1 concerts, SACDs/DVD-As, and ACTION movies. You could set your Abyss' crossover to 80HZ and it will still be able to do a lot of low end work for your fronts.

Hello,
I actually think it might work. It is certainly worth a try. Using the Speaker Level Connections to connect each Purity to an Abyss and running full range should work with the Descent handling the LFE.

If it does not, you could sell the Abyss's and put the money towards another Descent i. Either way, congrats on the Descent i as it is an fantastic Subwoofer.
Cheers,
ML

Hello,
Another thought would be to sell the Purity's and the Abyss's and get a pair of Vista's or Vantages. You have a number of choices if this initial configuration does not work out.
Cheers,
ML

My Uncle owns a Descent I that he has been hinting at selling. He apparently wants to "condense" his current setup and may be willing to sell for half of what he paid. Unfortunately, he isn't even in the same state, so i have yet to actually hear it for myself. Otherwise I'd just borrow it to find out if this will work.

okay. so as i understand it, you have a pair of subs, but the chance to get a new to you descent-i

you my friend have a case of upgrade-itis. but you have yet to develop the all important letgooftheoldstuff-itis.

i'm looking at a new2me preamp (Sonic Frontiers Line 1) and a Line 2 came up for sale with a lowered price today. i'm really tempted, but that would bring the preamp count up to seven.

i need to trim down. maybe you do too :)

Hello,
Another thought would be to sell the Purity's and the Abyss's and get a pair of Vista's or Vantages. You have a number of choices if this initial configuration does not work out.
Cheers,
ML

have to listen to it.. and you won't go wrong with the descent-i - if you think it is a good deal - get it from your uncle....now - Mark's idea above ....I really like that.... I would try to get a used pair of new mains...

***update!***

Hey everyone! I finally made a decision and I feel compelled to share it with others :D. I initially intended to upgrade from dual Abyss subs to a Descent-I But, thanks to some very helpful suggestions I've decided to dig a little deeper and go for something more "transformative." My ML purities will now be relegated to surround duty in order to make room for my new mains....brand new VANTAGES! :rocker:. I just got confirmation that my order has finally shipped and have literally been smiling ever since :D. In one fell swoop I was able to upgrade my mains, surrounds(formerly Klipsch RS42's) and the entire "level" of my system, which in the end makes the most long-term financial sense...or at least that's what I told myself. In any case, just wanted thank those who contributed for their help. Thanks again.

Hey everyone! I finally made a decision and I feel compelled to share it with others :D. I initially intended to upgrade from dual Abyss subs to a Descent-I But, thanks to some very helpful suggestions I've decided to dig a little deeper and go for something more "transformative." My ML purities will now be relegated to surround duty in order to make room for my new mains....brand new VANTAGES! :rocker:. I just got confirmation that my order has finally shipped and have literally been smiling ever since :D. In one fell swoop I was able to upgrade my mains, surrounds(formerly Klipsch RS42's) and the entire "level" of my system, which in the end makes the most long-term financial sense...or at least that's what I told myself. In any case, just wanted thank those who contributed for their help. Thanks again.

Rock on to you my friend... That is AWSOME!!! great move.... and you will have to try some stereo listening!!

Back